Selling old coins

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:16 pm
I have to part with my collection. Sad

I have been working on this collection since I was about 12.

I have some coins that are close to 300 years old

Some that are really popular RIGHT NOW, but may not be in a few / months / years

Then I have other coins that are probally not worth the 3 stamps to send them, but they are 'neat' looking.

Some to most are in very fine condition.
A hand full are uncirculated.

All together, I have almost 100 coins.

The rest are just ok.

I know how to 'grade' my coins, but what I don't know is how to find out how much each one is worth.
With out buying the big 100 dollar book , is there a way on the internet that I can search the words on some of the coins that will pull up what it is?
Does that question make sense?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,711 • Replies: 58
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:17 pm
I will be taking pictures of some of these coins later , after little bean goes to bed.

I can post some of them if that would help ..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:24 pm
It's hard to make anything off of small collections, I think. My wife has a silver certificate, made the first year twenty dollar bills became the current size, but, because the signature on it is not the one collectors like, it is apparently worth just face value.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:52 pm
shewolf, I forgot the title of that $300 book. Go to the library and take it out. That's what I did.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 04:05 pm
yeah, I was going to suggest the same thing detano. Great minds.....

I once tried to look up some coin values on the internet, it was very frustrating.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 04:31 pm
Have you tried checking E-bay to get an idea of the value of individual coins?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 04:39 pm
check to see if you have a coin collectors' club in your area .
it's also worth looking at the website for >>>...COINWORLD... .

for a couple of dollars you should be able to pick up a copy of "coinworld" at a newsstand or coindealer .
hbg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:31 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Have you tried checking E-bay to get an idea of the value of individual coins?

Actually I did do this, and it is what sparked my drive to go ahead and sell them.

Some of the ones I want to sell, I will probally put on ebay as I noticed that alot of people buy 'neat' looking coins from ebay more often then they buy real valuable ones.

Since my collection is probally about 45% 'neat looking' ones, I will get more for my money there then I will a coin shop. Or craigslist..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:32 pm
hamburger wrote:
check to see if you have a coin collectors' club in your area .

I never thought to look for a club.

I do know of several coin dealers.. most closed right now for holidays.. But they will each get a knock on their door from me in the next couple of weeks.

thanks for the link.
I am going to look at it now
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:36 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I once tried to look up some coin values on the internet, it was very frustrating.

ooooo.... dont tell me that.. Sad

I was hoping this fabulous invention called internet was going to make this easier.. .

crap..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:37 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
It's hard to make anything off of small collections, I think. My wife has a silver certificate, made the first year twenty dollar bills became the current size, but, because the signature on it is not the one collectors like, it is apparently worth just face value.

Does she want to sell it?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:45 pm
I have a friend who found a coin on the side of the road. His car broke down and he was walking toward town when he noticed this coin just lying there in the gravel on the roadside.

He picked it up and it appeared to be some kind of coin from the early days of Massachusetts.

He had it appraised and apparently there is only one other such coin known to exist.

The value was placed as "priceless".
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:49 pm
No way...

I am truly envious..
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:13 pm
Yep, he was a lucky bastard. I have to wonder how the hell that coin ended up on the side of the road.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:18 pm
When I was weeding in the alley behind my house back in northern California, I found a 1907 dime about six inches below grade. It was probably not worth much, but it was in pretty good shape. I brought it to work to show it off and left it on my desk, which was in the back room of the nursery/garden center. Yep, gone. It could have been picked up by a customer, or by one of the part-timers. Or fallen on the floor and picked up and spent by someone. Doh!

I weeded some more in that alley, but didn't find any more treasures.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:19 pm
Your trusting nature betrayed you again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:21 pm
Yeh. I had one particular person in mind, but no proof, as people went by there to go to the back yard of the nursery. All I know is I didn't pick it up and spend it, as it was clearly an interesting coin.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:23 pm
I just looked up that particular coin, osso.

The current value is 17 million dollars.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:25 pm
Story of my life...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:27 pm
a 1907 dime??????

what did it look like?
0 Replies