Shopping on the Internet/Pats and Pans

Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:09 pm
Thanks, Jane. I guess it could be okay if one were dealing with a local shipper. I guess I was imagining products coming from a long ways away and having to return it from whence it came.

sozobe wrote:
Yeah, the return thing is rarely an issue. Most places that sell something that kind of require a "kick the tire" equivalent have free shipping and free returns, like Zappos.com (online shoe store). They include a stick-on return label with the package, and if you don't like it, you just put the shoes back in the box, stick the label on, and drop it off at a UPS store. Onlineshoes.com has a version that you can print out. Some variation of that is pretty common. (People really need to try on shoes to know if they fit.)

All of my purposeful shoes purchases from the last several years have been online, including several returns. (By "purposeful" I mean like "I need a pair of sandals..." I've bought a couple of pairs of boots I didn't really need but were cheap and pretty and caught my eye at a brick 'n' mortar store in that time period.)

Thanks for that, soz. I find it interesting that businesses are able to offer the free shipping, seeing how expensive it can be. All one needs to do is send a parcel themself to find out how much.

Now, you bring up a good example like shoes. I couldn't even imagine buying other than in a physical store. How many times are you allowed to return shoes that were purchased online? It could make for a potentially frusterating purchase, I would think.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:19 pm
Hehe, my daughter always used to say "frusterating" - cute!

Reyn, on bigger items it pays to buy online as you save the sales
tax and if shipping is free, then it's a no brainer. I usually research
beforehand about prices and quality.

Like in the case of the refrigerator, I went to a store here and checked out what I wanted, including prices. I would have paid only $ 100.00 more for the refrigerator here, but they charged for delivery and the CA sales tax
of 7.75 % would have been added as well, and if you buy something
with a ticket price of $ 2000.00 it does make a huge difference.

Dto. with the LCD TV - 3 years ago, plasma was the hit, but through
consumer data research I found out that LCD is better and the two best
companies were Sony and Toschiba. From there I started looking for
prices, and again, if something is more expensive, it does pay off.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:41 pm
Reyn wrote:
Thanks for that, soz. I find it interesting that businesses are able to offer the free shipping, seeing how expensive it can be. All one needs to do is send a parcel themself to find out how much.

Now, you bring up a good example like shoes. I couldn't even imagine buying other than in a physical store. How many times are you allowed to return shoes that were purchased online?

The shoes need to be in brand-new condition -- try them on at home, on carpet, same as you would at a store -- but other than that I don't think there are any limits. I often buy a few at a time -- more than one style, or a couple of sizes if I'm not sure -- and keep only the best pair. (I've always gotten my money back, no problem.) I've returned a lot but have never gotten in a chain of returns (like, return, re-order, don't like the re-order, return, etc.).

Zappos also has a very good review section, and guides like "order 1/2 size larger than usual" due to variations in different companies. Even if they no longer have an item in stock they usually have old reviews if you look, so if I find something somewhere else I'll still go to Zappos for reviews. This helps me narrow things down so that the chances of getting a pair of shoes that are just what I want are high.

For something the size of shoes, shipping isn't really that much, especially with bulk deals that can be worked out with shipping companies. I notice that the ones that offer free shipping are usually about $5-10 more expensive than places where you have to pay shipping (it'd cost me about $8.00 to ship a pair of shoes I think), but they have price guarantees (promises to match the cheapest price you find elsewhere) if you just keep your eyes open, and sales. So basically the non-savvy shoppers finance the savvy ones. :-)[/quote]
0 Replies