WHETHER TO LOG OFF YOUR FAVORITE SITES

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:05 pm
In my home, I never log off anything. In my community center, if I go on the internet, not only do I log off, but I delete the cache!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:34 pm
cache....you had better talk to me about that. What is it and how do you delete it?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:52 pm
Mapleleaf-When you have been on the internet, the places that you have been are stored in a temporary file, called a "cache". The advantage of this, is that if you have a slow connection, the page will come up faster if it is in the cache.

The downside is, that sometimes certain web pages can cause freezes and/or crashes. I make it my business to delete my cache at least once a day. The first time that I did it, it had so much junk that it took 20 minutes to clear. Now it takes a minute or less.

When you are on any web page, on the top, left, you will see "Tools".

Go to tools> internet options> temporary internet files (in the middle of the page)> delete files. a box will pop up. Click OK. When the egg timer becomes an arrow, it is done!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 06:10 pm
Re: Craven
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Craven, if we don't log off, does that give spammers more opportunities to get our e-mail addresses?

I get 40 to 50 spams each day and its getting worse. I keep blocking them but they increase like crab grass. Its driving me nuts.

Logging out has no effect on spam. If your e-mail addy is posted anywhere on the WWW you can bet someone will find it and use it to send spam eventually. A lot of places that ask for an e-mail addy to register on their site also sell those addresses that they collect.

These are just a few of the reasons to use a "throw away" freebie e-mail account for registering at any site. If the junk mail gets excessive you just open a new e-mail account and ignore the old one entirely.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 06:18 pm
Note that deleting your cache daily is a completely unecessary act.

If anyone for some reason is against cache they should simply turn it off.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 06:23 pm
Yahoo email openly solicits junk mail to your email, even to other emaol accounts than the one you have with them. I deleted almost every vestige of Yahoo from my computer after I figured out the were allowing spam into my ev1.net account.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 08:52 pm
I haven't ever fooled with my IE cache, and see that it could possibly help to clean it out once in a while. Cleaning it out doesn't make Favorites unavailable at all, just not available offline, right?

You never clean out the cache, Craven? Sorry, this is a tangent to the main question, but one I have been wondering about.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 08:59 pm
I never delete my entire cache. I just delete what I don't want to be in there. A cache can be very useful.

Cleaning it out doesn't make Favorites unavailable at all, just not available offline, right?

Right!
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:49 am
I've always thought it was best to empty the cache at least once a day, as Phoenix said. My question is: how do you turn it off?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:57 am
Soozoo- I think that it was more critical when computers had smaller hard drives. Deleting the cache would make the computer run faster.

Even so, with bigger drives, I like to delete the cache for the other reason that I mentioned. Once as a new computer user, I was having a lot of problems with crashes and freezes.

A knowledgable person told me that sometimes you open a page that is not 100%, and it can cause problems. She told me to delete the cache. Once I deleted the cache, the problem stopped.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:23 am
This thread has become very helpful. Thank-you all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:35 pm
Doh, I just went to clean out the cache, followed the directions printed here....and found out that was the same as the cookies, which I do clean out individually from time to time. This dang terminology...
0 Replies