Question about "County-issued credit cards"

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:40 am
I'm wondering, my anyone (here: county council members) needs special credit cards from the county since I've first read about such.

In today's Washington Post (link), you can read in a big report on the frontpage
Quote:
Prince George's Taxpayers Pick Up Officials' Personal Tabs
Records Show Thousands of Dollars Charged to County-Issued Cards in Violation of Policy

And what's shown on page A9

http://i10.tinypic.com/49leg69.jpg

is hardly to believe for me.

What is the purpose/reason for such credit cards?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 873 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:14 am
If I am understanding your question properly, you are asking about county-issued credit cards.

What they are referring to are credit cards that are issued to the account of the county with the names of specified individuals. Corporations do this a lot too. For instance, instead of having the employee collect and submit travel-related receipts for reimbursement, the company just orders a credit card in that employee's name and pays the bill directly to the credit company. Saves everyone a lot of bookkeeping yet, with proper auditing still has the same oversight for abuse detection.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:06 am
Thanks - exactly what I wanted to know.

(Would be impossible here that state/county/ employees/civil servants order such as pointed at in the example. - And besides four-eyes's system, we still believe in good old bookkeeping. :wink: )
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:43 am
walter :
would german government employees/representatives draw a "travel advance" for their various travel expenses in advance of travel or would the government agency be billed directly by the airline , hotel etc for expenses ?

so called "business" credit cards are quite common here . american express has a special arrangement with many businesses (i think with governments too) , where they sent a "consolidated" statement to an employer for all employees holding a credit card through their companies with them .
that SHOULD give companies quite good control over the expenses charged by individuals .
of course , if controls are lax , the card-holder can pretty well charge anything Shocked .
hbg
0 Replies