Mozilla Firefox

NickFun

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:54 am
I have also had some trouble recently with Firefox as my default browser. When I report the message to Microsoft they send me a message saying they have nothing to do with Firefox and the problem can be remedied by making IE my default browser. I suspect foul play!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:59 am
NickFun wrote:
I have also had some trouble recently with Firefox as my default browser. When I report the message to Microsoft they send me a message saying they have nothing to do with Firefox and the problem can be remedied by making IE my default browser. I suspect foul play!

Oh good grief, Nick! I was thinking the same thing, but I did not want to sound paranoid. Firefox worked fine when IE was default. I suppose that the only way to deal with this is to remove IE entirely. I don't think that I want to do that though. What if the problem is built right into XP???

If Microsoft has nothing to do with Firefox, how do they know that making IE the default browser will fix the problem? Hmmmmmmm..................
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:27 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If Microsoft has nothing to do with Firefox, how do they know that making IE the default browser will fix the problem? Hmmmmmmm..................

M$ has no obligation to accommodate 3rd-party developers, any more than is Toyota obliged to make their doors interchangeable with Fords. Not saying M$ is saintly or anything - not even implying M$ is right and the others are wrong - just that M$ structures its products to work with one another (well, at least sorta - as well as anything Windows/M$ works Rolling Eyes ). Internet Exolorer really is pretty tightly woven into Windows code - there's a lot of commonality between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer, more or less can't have one without the other. "Alternate Browsers", such as Firefox, have the burden of making themselves work with the big fish in the pool, and like it or not, the big fish is M$. Many of the problems reported pertaining to Firefox/Windows are eliminated by switching to a different operating system - Linux, for instance - but that brings on its own set of entertainments.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:32 pm
For what it's worth, I have IE, Safari, and Firefox all installed -- Firefox is my default browser, and everything works fine. (I do have a Mac though.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:18 pm
Lotsa folks have no problem w/Firefox under Windows - as in millions. Still, some folks are gonna have problems. Sometimes folks with problems assign blame correctly, sometimes they don't.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:29 pm
NickFun wrote:

Alternatively, you could keep Firefox and make Linux your default operating system instead. I wonder why Microsoft didn't tell you that.

Edit: Oops, Timber beat me to it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:17 pm
Timber- I hear what you are saying about MS not being obliged to make Mozilla work seamlessly in Windows. But how do you account for the many thousands of program downloads from other companies that are put into Windows without any problem?
0 Replies