Mozilla Firefox

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 03:47 pm
Some months ago I downloaded Mozilla Firefox, and I really like it. I had been so used to Internet Explorer though, that I never made a permanent committment to the browser, so I have it on my desktop, but I mostly used IE.

Anyhow, I had recently downloaded Internet Explorer 7. I liked the new version, but I find that since IE7, I am getting far more freezes, with that dreaded message, "Internet Explorer will have to close".

Anyhow, I decided to dump IE, and go all Firefox, but I have this problem. Right now, through Internet Explorer, I have icons on my desktop, so I go directly to some of my most used sites, like A2K. I would like to do that with Firefox, but I can't figure out how.

In IE, when you hit the "file" menu, there is a part where you can "Send Shortcut to Desktop". I don't see anything similar on Firefox. Anybody know how I can put a desktop shortcut to a web page on Firefox?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,799 • Replies: 26
No top replies

George

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:09 pm
See the icon at the leftmost part of in the location box?
Drag and drop it to the Desktop.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:28 pm
Hmmm...........I went on to Firefox. I dragged and dropped A2K (which was the icon on the left). The icon went on to my desktop. But when I opened the desktop, A2K was coming through Internet Explorer!

Another thing. In order for me to write in green on Firefox, I have to do it manually. When I use the A2K boxes, it comes out all messed up!
[/b]
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:30 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Another thing. In order for me to write in green on Firefox, I have to do it manually. When I use the A2K boxes, it comes out all messed up!
[/b]

Same with Opera.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:41 pm
dlowan wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

[/b]

Same with Opera.

I wonder why???
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:45 pm
You need to get Ticomaya's attention.

He's pretty dang good with all things Firefox.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:45 pm
Why don't you just enter the a2k address on your firefox and save it as a bookmark? It works for me!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:52 pm
This is very strange. I thought that maybe when I dragged and dropped an icon, and then clicked on it, it came out on IE because I had originally migrated my bookmarks from IE to Firefox.

So I tried something. I went to Mozilla, and went to a web page that I had never accessed on IE. (For the curious, it was the "Jell-O" website Laughing ) I then dragged and dropped it on my desktop. When I clicked on it, it came on...................................Internet Explorer! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:54 pm
NickFun wrote:
Why don't you just enter the a2k address on your firefox and save it as a bookmark? It works for me!

That is what I am thinking of doing. I did like the idea of the shortcuts on the web page, though!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:55 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Hmmm...........I went on to Firefox. I dragged and dropped A2K (which was the icon on the left). The icon went on to my desktop. But when I opened the desktop, A2K was coming through Internet Explorer!

That's because your desktop opens web pages with your default browser, which still seems to be IE. You can change this within Firefox by going to Tools-->Options-->General, telling Firefox to check if it's the default browser, and setting it to be the default browser after the check.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 06:01 pm
Thomas- You are a genius. Thanks!!!![/b]
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 06:39 pm
I thought of that too -- I just didn't say anything.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 06:25 am
NickFun wrote:
I thought of that too -- I just didn't say anything.

So now I have both. Firefox is my default browser, and my favorite websites are on tabs on the top of my web page. Thanks to you too, Nick! Very Happy [/b]
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 07:43 am
Did you solve the "writing in green" phoenix?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 08:08 am
dadpad wrote:
Did you solve the "writing in green" phoenix?

Yup. I write the code in myself! [/b]
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 10:57 am
Hi Phoenix, did you know Firefox 2 is out?

It has a lot of new stuff .... worth the download.
klik here
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 01:07 pm
Yup! I put it in recently. I am still not sure what is new, and what is old in the browser! Embarrassed[/b]
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 07:29 am
Unfortunately guys, I had to revert back to Internet Explorer. I was having all manner of problems since I made Firefox my default browser. My computer was freezing and crashing just like my old Windows 98 used to do.

This morning, I made IE my default browser, and so far, the computer is acting normally. I still have a way to get into Firefox through an icon on my desktop. When I was surfing that way, I had no problems.

Did anyone else have a problem like I described?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:07 am
Hay, 1st make sure you are running all the 'recent' updates for FF (help > check for updates)
You might find the answer Here
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:15 am
Gelisgesti - I have had Firefox installed on my computer for a few months, and recently updated it. While I was browsing Firefox through the desktop icon (when IE was the default browser) I had no trouble with Firefox. It was only when I made Firefox my default browser, that things started going haywire!
0 Replies