cryptic 107

gwen39

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:18 am
thanks to everyone for clearing up 5d. that tuesday put in.
now I am stuck on 36a. thea pick our alternative poem.
I have h? I? e, maybe something wrong down?
just had lovely week in mittagong and west wyalong but weather no
better there than in victoria,been worse since got home,oh well.
gwen 39
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 786 • Replies: 14
No top replies

tuesday

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:27 am
cryptic 107
Hi Gwen 39
for 36a I have haiku which is a japanese poem.
glad you had a good time in Mittagong I used to live there before moving to the ACT.
Regards Tuesday
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:32 am
Hi Tuesday & Gwen

I can confirm 36a is 'haiku'.

Good luck with your entry.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:12 pm
thea pick our alternative poem
tHeApIcKoUr (alternative [every second one]) poem - haiku

Tuesday, whereabouts in Canberra do you live?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:27 pm
Hey, we've already started this conversation over here Lezzles. You from Canberra too?
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:53 pm
cryptic 107
Hi Lezzles

See the other cryptic 107 thread, hope we are not getting too self indulgent here.
Regards Tuesday
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:13 pm
Yes, I spent many years either working and living or at least based in Canberra. I think Hinge has lived in all the same houses as me!!

I was in Scullin
Macgregor
Dickson
Duffy (or Upper Doofay as we used to call it)
And just across the border out of Hall.

Why I asked, Tuesday, was could you do me a favour if you ever pass through Duffy? My house was in Eungella Street (15) and when the dreadful fire swept through, I was never able to ascertain whether it was lost or was one of the lucky ones. Stupid thing, I know, but every now and then I wonder....
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:36 pm
Re: cryptic 107
tuesday wrote:
hope we are not getting too self indulgent here.

Ha! If you think this is self-indulgent you should check out what's happening in the rest of A2K - self-indulgence is its middle name (well actually '2' is but you get my drift....)
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:12 pm
cryptic 107
Hi Lezzles
I would be happy to go for a drive one day soon to check out your former residence. I can understand where you are coming from. Memories, happy ones I hope.
Tuesday Very Happy
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 01:50 am
Indeed! My son started school when we were there. A good friend lived just up on the next corner. I have lost touch with her and so I don't know how her place fared either. It was awful when the fires happened. I thought I knew the street well but you could not recognise anything from the film coverage. So much destruction. All the photos in the papers seemed to start from "just a few feet" away so it was very frustrating.

If you do find the time to drive by I would appreciate it very much. But there is no hurry, it's just one of those 'ghosts' I can lay to rest.
0 Replies

gwen39

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 02:56 am
thanks for clearing up36a. It really is a small world. I used to live in
Queanbeyan years ago,my late husband was an electrician on what
was then the new parliament house.Have a friend that used to live in
Duffy but has since moved to Hughes. Cheers Gwen39
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 03:38 am
Hi, gwen!

Incredible, isn't it? Maybe there is some kind of karmic force that keeps the same souls gravitating around each other even though they are miles and miles away........!

Good luck with the cryptic!

lezzles
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 12:22 am
lezzles wrote:
Yes, I spent many years either working and living or at least based in Canberra. I think Hinge has lived in all the same houses as me!!

I was in Scullin
Macgregor
Dickson
Duffy (or Upper Doofay as we used to call it)
And just across the border out of Hall.

Why I asked, Tuesday, was could you do me a favour if you ever pass through Duffy? My house was in Eungella Street (15) and when the dreadful fire swept through, I was never able to ascertain whether it was lost or was one of the lucky ones. Stupid thing, I know, but every now and then I wonder....

Hi Lezzles
Have been to Upper Doofay today. No 15 looks to be in good condition,well looked after. There seems to be a lot of new houses in the street, a new one is going up at No 17. If you want to go on a bit of a nostalgic trip go to allhomes.com.au,then buy,then act &Qbn,then Duffy. You will see no, 4&6 &10/26 are for sale, scroll down to properties sold and No 1 is there .You can also get info on when blocks/houses have been sold. No 15 seems to have been sold last in April 93.
All the best
Tuesday
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 06:27 pm
Thank you so very much, Tuesday!

Sounds as though the old home weathered the fires after all. A new house being built at No. 17 means it came that close - next door! Wow! It wasn't a mansion but many happy times spent there!

Thanks again - means a lot! :wink:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 06:37 pm
I was in Canberra during the fires - some of the stories I heard. One guy stayed after they'd been told to evacuate - he saved his hous and the five that bordered it - he swears that if fit people had stayed a lot more house would have been saved - it was only airborne spot fires that did the damage.

It was the only time Canberra ever made the front page of the Guardian Weekly.
0 Replies