"Uncle Don" NEVER SAID THAT!

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 06:46 am
I am crushed.........my entire world is turned upside down! It is as if I woke up and was told that it was December, instead of June. My whole frame of reference is in tatters.

It all started when I read a new post by Gautam about a bank employee discussing a customer with other staff, not realizing that the customer's answering machine was still connected.

Link to Gautam's Thread

It brought to mind, the infamous "Uncle Don".

For those of you "not of a certain age", Uncle Don was the host of an extremely popular children's radio show in the 1940s. According to what I had believed for over half a century, Uncle Don had finished his show. Not realizing that his mike was still "live", he blurted out, "Now that should hold the little bastards".

I went to Google to research the story, AND THIS IS WHAT I FOUND:

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/radio/bastards.htm#don2

Have YOU ever taken something for granted, as a fact, and then later learn that it was not true???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,172 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:23 am
It's funny that you mentioned that Phoenix because only a few months back we went to check our messages on our voice mail one day when suddenly I hear my uncle recorded saying "the son of a bitches won't answer the phone"! LOL! He said it in French which even sounded funnier. Some of these Canadians still haven't got the hang of those answering machines ;-)

We're still laughing about it, although I didn't think it was very funny at the time!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:47 am
Montana-Hmmm. Did hearing that alter your feelings about the man?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:50 am
Well, Not as much as I thought it would, but it did some. I was pretty pissed for a few months, but then we started joking about it and now we crack up every time we mention it. My uncle is a nice guy to your face, but behind your back he plays a whole different tune. I convinced myself not to take it personally because he does that to everyone. If that's the way he feels, then too bad for him.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 01:11 pm
Quote:
My uncle is a nice guy to your face, but behind your back he plays a whole different tune

My mother's sister was like that. What I learned was to take EVERYTHING that she said with a grain of salt. I did not have much respect for her, but I treated her nicely, for the sake of family peace.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 01:30 pm
I had at one time a copy of Kermit Schafer's Bloopers recordings, which included the alleged actual recording of Uncle Don's infamous line. I am shocked that the apparent "actual recording" included was a dramatic recreation.

It was a hilarious album. I wonder what others never really happened, including these others that I remember from that album:

"And now the President of the United States, Hoobert Heever";

"...According to a highly-placed White Horse Souse..."

and
"My family consists of two children, one adult, and one adultress"
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:02 pm
When I was a kid I remember a story of a whaler who had been swallowed by a sperm whale and lived. When the whale was cut up about six hours later he was found bleached and out of his head but alive. the first printed account I read was in The People's Almanac (1975) by David Wallechinsky and Irving Wallace. The account stated this happened in February 1891 off the Falkland Islands. The ship listed was the Star of the East. The story I later found in Peter Freuchen's Book of the Seven Seas (1957). It wasn't until recently I found an analysis that found going back to records of the voyage that in fact it was false. The belief so long intact finally had to be let go.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:12 pm
The version of the little bastards story that reached me was that one of NY City's mayors read the Sunday comics on radio one day when the newspapers could not be delivered. Up until now I had always believed it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:24 pm
Edgarblythe- Are you telling me that the story about Fiorello LaGuardia was NOT true? I have been looking for a reference, but to no avail! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:39 pm
Well, the link said that none of these tales is true. Wouldn't that include this one also?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:00 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
My uncle is a nice guy to your face, but behind your back he plays a whole different tune

My mother's sister was like that. What I learned was to take EVERYTHING that she said with a grain of salt. I did not have much respect for her, but I treated her nicely, for the sake of family peace.

Same here Phoenix. I actually kept my mouth shut for my mothers sake. If it hadn't been for the respect I have for my mom, then my uncle and I would probably have never spoken again since I surely would have given him a piece of my mind. I learned many years ago to let people like that just roll off my back. I actually did tell his son about it since he comes to visit a lot. I was laughing when I told him and I actually let him listen to the recording since I had saved it, LOL! My cousin just said "oh, that's just the way dad is". I know my cousin went back and said something to his father, but my uncle never said a word.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:04 pm
I think the Mayor really did read the comics, Phoenix; just didn't say those words.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:17 am
For what it's worth, I can personally verify Mayor Laguardia's reading the Sunday comics on the radio. I can see myself lying on the floor in front of the Atwater-Kent (sp?) listening as he did so. I believe it was a case of the N.Y. Daily News being on strike.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:26 am
flyboy804- And your rememberence is reference enough for me! Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:28 am
The reason I had brought it up is because I had been told many years ago that the mayor also said the infamous words. Glad to find he didn't.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:31 am
Phoenix- Thanks for the faith.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:37 am
Flyboy804- I'm the LAST person from whom to expect faith. :wink: It is just that I have heard the story in the past from so many people, have heard references over the years to it.

I believe that I have seen photos of LaGuardia reading the funnies. Now you say that you have heard it. Let's just say that based on what I know, it's a pretty good evaluation!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:43 am
Ta Dah!

http://www.who2.com/fiorellolaguardia.html

I don't know how authoritative this site is, but it IS more evidence!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:47 am
When I am on a roll! Very Happy

Quote:
A special feature of The New York Public Library's installation of Celebrity Caricature is seven sound stations that will allow visitors to listen to compilations of related recordings from the Library's Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound. They include a 1934 radio recording of George Gershwin playing his song "The Man I Love"; a sampling from one of Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia's radio broadcasts of "Little Orphan Annie" during a newspaper strike; an excerpt from one of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's fireside chats; and Mae West singing "I'm No Angel."

http://www.nypl.org/press/celebritycaricature.html
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:14 am
I don't care how they try to subvert history. I remember when the incident happened. Although I do not remember his exact words "Uncle Don" was finished, washed up after that incident.
0 Replies