cats, why do they do this?

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:06 am
every morning Dante the cat awaits by the bedroom door meowing to be fed, I awake and go to the bathroom and when I emerge he is waiting by the door as I attempt to manage my way to the kitchen to feed him. He, like so many other cats, entwines himself around my feet rubbing against them making my walk difficult. I stumble, nearly fall, but he persists in the foot entanglement. Why, why I ask, do they do this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,721 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:18 am
Survival
One word --survival!

They see no reason why you should pass by them unimpeded without feeding them first. Ever notice how meoow and NEOW sound alike?

After all, they'd get it themselves if they only could!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:21 am
it's because cat's are evil
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:25 am
Djjd is, or course, correct. Cats is the spawn of Satan.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:27 am
Well yes, cats are evil but only because they do as they please rather than as we would like them to do. Sally-dog is often confused.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:38 am
He is rubbing his scent on you, because you belong to HIM...you are the keeper of his food.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:50 am
Love.

Now quit yer moaning and feed the goddam cat.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 09:38 am
He's bluffing. Try to actually trip on him and you will notice he's just beyond of the distance of your normal stride. Ignore this tactic.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 10:27 am
If you step on him really really hard you won't have to feed him any more.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:08 am
The cat is greeting you, marking you with scent and making sure you notice he is there and therefore feed him as soon as possible.

x
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:16 am
They just spent the entire night licking themselves and want to buff the saliva sheen up.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:19 am
Because they are stupid. One of my cats does this and how many times have I ended up kicking the fool thing as a result. He just doesn't learn.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:37 am
I used to have a cat that insisted on licking my toes while I was sat on the loo first thing in the morning. It was not unpleasant actually.

Also, why does one of my cats insist on sleeping curled up on a folded item of clothing on the bed? The whole bed is free but, no, it has to fit perfectly onto the small surface area of the folded clothes. What's that all about???
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:26 pm
colorbook wrote:
He is rubbing his scent on you, because you belong to HIM...you are the keeper of his food.

Did anybody notice? Colorbook is back.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:39 pm
I mentioned on another thread that Dante now just sits in the doorway and stares at Dys, waking him with his magnetic gaze at 4:30 in the morning. Obviously, Dys has become Dante's slave and he's loving every minute of it--except for the 4:30am part.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:09 pm
roger wrote:
colorbook wrote:

Did anybody notice? Colorbook is back.

Didn't you hear me yoohooing at you over the fence?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 06:16 pm
I saw colorbook. Very Happy

I think the cat is pushing you the way you need to go.

he is applying gentle kitty pressure to keep you in line

a line that leads to the counter.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:01 pm
Just to reinforce the notion that cats are evil, have you ever considered that he may be trying to build up sufficient static electricity to cause cardiac arrest?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 01:30 am
Dys querido, I've often maintained that the longest distance between two points is the distance Mikey covers between the living room and the kitchen. Back and forth and forth and back and back and forth. All right in front of me. I'm often on the verge of tripping. "Move!" I say, to no avail. "WALK!" I say to the same effect.

I think most humans would push from behind to get us where they want to go. I view this as the cat version of pushing. They won't get behind us. It's a sign of submission. So they push from the front of us. Annoying as hell.

This is just a theory. I'm sure that someone somewhere has the right answer.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 07:19 pm
This is a very good site. I could not find the answer. I cannot email them either because my email I use is not compatible with what they use. So, you might be able to find the answer through them.
I would like to know too why cats really do this.Webpage Title
0 Replies