Flies....... hundreds of them

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 02:32 pm
I wish there was a forum marked "pests" HA!

Now that we live in an apt, I am remembering WHY people keep their windows closed.

We have flies every where.

Just at the bottom of the steps is about 1500 feet worth of parking space... and at the edge of that is where the garbage cans are.

No matter what I do, I cant keep them away.

We open the door just going in and out, and we get some more flies.

They are driving me up the wall.

What can I do to keep them away?

Is it true that a clear baggie full of water, hung close to something, keeps them from coming around?
What about plants? Are there any plants that can survive in a pot on my patio that would be a natural repellant?

damn....grumble grumble grumble.. flies.. .. Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,939 • Replies: 40
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:01 pm
Try garlic.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:05 pm
shewolf, I copied this from another link.

We tried Golden Malrin last summer and the stuff was amazing. Hundreds of flies falling over wiggling their little legs and croaking. the b/o scattered it down the sides of the aisleway. We kept the dogs out of the barn, and swept everything up to keep it away from the other animals. I don't remember what the cautions onthe label were.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:07 pm
Golden Malrin Fly Bait is a fly bait formula containing Muscamone TM Fly Attractant which encourages both male and female flies to remain in the treated area... thus feeding on the bait. It may be used daily or as needed to provide initial knockdown and reduction of fly populations. America's #1 selling fly bait ! Attracts and kills flies. Standard particle size to reduce dust. Used for Fly Control In and Around Homes and Commercial Establishments. Great For Use Around Dumpsters... Garbage Cans... Kennels... Dairy's... Etc.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:11 pm
Wow.. that sounds perfect.
I can scatter that around the trash cans, or even in them, and help combat those pests there as well.

Quote:
Golden Malrin Fly Bait
Contains Muscamone, a powerful fly attractant that lures flies to the bait. Flies die rapidly after feeding on it. Homogenous formulation ensures uniform effectiveness in every dose.
Golden Malrin Fly Bait's two-phase action knocks out nuisance flies quickly and effectively. First, Muscamone fly attractant draws flies in. Then, as they feed on the sugar-based bait, the active ingredient, methomyl, delivers the final blow, killing flies after they ingest it.

There is something sadistically satisfying about the description of this product..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:21 pm
Check out this site.

Natural Pest Control....

I was thinking about those old Shell No-Pest Strips you used to see. They're off the market because of toxins (causes cancer, supposedly one person died)

How about if you put a saucer coated with honey out, but put the saucer in a shallow pan of water, so the ants won't get at it? That seems easier than soaking strips of cloth in the mixture on that site.

Then, when the flies get stuck and die in the honey, you can toast them up in the oven. Great on salads. (insert barfy emoticon)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:31 pm
i would think that unless you can remove the "source" (garbage ?) that attracts the flies , you'll be spending a lot of money on flybait .
you might have thousands of eggs in the area and unless you get rid of them ... you'll probably have a repeat performance even if you kill of the flies temporarily .
hbg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 05:35 pm
As long as the dumpsters are emptied periodically, the number of larvae that remain in the vicinity should be minimal.

That doesn't prevent the garbage from attracting new flies, however....
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 05:52 pm
I like to blast the **** out of them with my 12 guage.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 05:58 pm
http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/images/dress-up/acc/hats/australian.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:09 pm
HA!

The trash is removed weekly, it is just that there are 5 buildings in this little circle so you have one can per apt right at the ends of the driveways.

Needless to say, some people here are not that neat.

There are pieces of trash in the grassy areas, and usually some spilled RIGHT NEXT TO the trash can.. as if it was too much of a chore to open the dang lid.

It isnt my apt they are attracted to, it is just that they thrive outside in all the garbage.
The only other solution would be to teach everyone to clean up after themselves. Confused as if..

As it is, we never leave dishes / food out over night . Jillian wakes up on her own and can wander around before we might hear her, so we do a total clean at night before we go to bed.

We only have a few dishes any way so we are always washing them.
Looking around, except for crumbs, and IF the trash can is left open, there isnt anything for them to feed on in here.
They come in the second the door is open because there are dozens of them, just WAITING for me to open my door..

they have a secret plot against me

I can feel it... .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:10 pm
I am thinking of taking that fly bait CI posted about and putting some around the garbage cans .
That just might knock the population down to where there are not so many around.
Throw it out at night of course...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 09:37 pm
Would it be possble to wash the bins out.

Flies are a fact of life here.

http://confluence.org/au/nt/s23e136v2/%70%69%63%37.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 09:41 pm
Are there any community meetings there, SheWolf? The answer to a lot of this is education.... (I say, waving hand, in confusion).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:00 pm
I wish there were meetings, or even a post board. But nothing.

All of the buildings are owned by diffrent people, and not part of a home owners, or even property owners association.

Im going to go snap a picture of the driveway right quick.. so you can see what I am talking about..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:09 pm
I took this from the front patio.
The grey car with the feathers in the dash is mine.

Right behind that are the cans.
Today was trash day.... it usually does not look that clean.
But you can see what I mean when I say, there are tons of them..
The street circles abit more to the right, and there are 2 more sets of cans that are not in the picture.
All together, there are probally 20 garbage cans

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5572/mvc025sfq4.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:10 pm
dadpad wrote:

Flies are a fact of life here.

holy ****..

what in the world am I complaining about..

Shocked
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:18 pm
shewolf, Have you started the "treatment" yet?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:21 pm
about a year ago i noticed that our community swimming-pool was not being kept clean .
"ring around the pool rim " , hair at the bottom ... i spoke to the supervisor a few times - "yea , as soon as ... "

so i phoned the local health department who is responsible for periodic inspections . i didn't give my name - but they probably could tell from the phone number .
i expressed my concern , mentioning that , since it was summer , a lot of children came to the pool , possible disease outbreak ... etc .

when we arrived at the pool the next morning , a fresh smell greeted us .
the supervisor told me that he and one the maintenance guys had refilled the pool overnight , cleaned it ... etc .
of course , i told him that that was just great . not a word was said about a phonecall ; it was just the right time to clean the pool . :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:22 pm
I see the problem, it's not the garbage cans, it's that lonely tree in the middle of the turnaround. That is a Sterculia foetida, and flies love 'em.
0 Replies