http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/10/03/black.holes/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 8,266 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 09:25 am
This is such an unusual situation it makes you think of other possible happenings. I am still wondering about the Mayan Calendar ending in 2012. If the Gods do return maybe they too will appear through a hole in the universe.
0 Replies

Question Mark

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:15 am
Question????
I got a question for every body to work out.

A mad scientist needs to conduct a strange experiment that only he really understands. He must fill a rectangular tank that measures 3 fathoms by 2 rods by 1/40 of a furlong. He fills it with a clear, odorless liquid with a density of about 3,678,675 grains per US hogshead.

How many kips of the substance does he require to fill the tank? Please round up to the nearest kip.
msolga

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:30 am
Rae! Lovely to see you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:19 pm
Re: Question????
Question Mark wrote:
I got a question for every body to work out.

A mad scientist needs to conduct a strange experiment that only he really understands. He must fill a rectangular tank that measures 3 fathoms by 2 rods by 1/40 of a furlong. He fills it with a clear, odorless liquid with a density of about 3,678,675 grains per US hogshead.

How many kips of the substance does he require to fill the tank? Please round up to the nearest kip.

Don't you already have your own topic about this problem?
0 Replies

neil

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:38 am
The accretion disk of a black hole (or other compact star) can have an out burst when a massive object enters the accretion disk. Thousand ton black holes produce an out burst when they evaporate in less than one second. High mass black holes produce tiny amounts of hawking radiation much of which is recaptured by the black hole. That is the mainstream hypothesis. There is too little evidence for it to be a theory in most disciplines.
Does kips = kilo inches per second? If so it is a unit of velocity, and you gave us too little info to determine velocity of anything in this problem. Neil
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:03 am
@Question Mark,
Is this a joke? This is a good way to show the absurdity of certain systems of measurement.
0 Replies

blueprince

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 06:35 pm
@Question Mark,
Nine.
Of course, if we're being specific, it's 8.213443568573655275236, but you did say round up.
dennishr

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:08 pm
@blueprince,
rounding 8.2 to 9 --come on
roger

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:51 pm
@dennishr,
Thanks, dennishr. Bringing this back to life reminds me of too many old friends who don't post anymore. Surprised to see the old comment about the Mayan calendar, too.
Swimpy

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:37 pm
@roger,
Do you ever hear from Rae or Misty, rog?
0 Replies

blueprince

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 02:43 pm
@dennishr,
He said round UP, not round to the nearest number. I'm technical like that.
0 Replies

OysteinJenssen

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 04:25 pm
@Rae,
In my world, speed of light is no limit. What you see around a black hole could be a combination of different effects.
This is my thinking about black holes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h94ryCZUxukXhiVHwvI74rlXmDg0nxrzefG8i23xBM8/edit?usp=sharing

0 Replies

Hodgarrik

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2017 03:20 am
Problem in all of this is of course that there are no blackholes at all!
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2019 11:53 am
Black holes are entirely imaginary. Black hole theory violates several known laws, one of them being the law of gravity. Newton published his shell theorem showing that gravity in a solid sphere decreases to zero at the center. That is because all the mass is pulling away from the center, so the net effect is zero. So gravity can't build up the way the theory says it can.

Another part of the theory is that electrons and protons can be squeezed together to make neutrons. I am told that has been observed, but I have not verified those observations, and I very doubt that they were brought about by gravity because the electrical effects are 10^39 times as strong as gravity.

Third, a nucleus can only exist with certain combinations of protons and neutrons called islands of stability, and as the nuclei get larger the islands of stability get farther apart. If a collection is off by even one particle it flies apart instantly.

So neutronium is impossible.
0 Replies