The most beautiful female voice of all time

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 08:27 pm
Has anyone mentioned Roseanne yet?

okay, but really, I don't dig beauty without rough edges. going off of what I like and who does (well, did) it really beautifully, i'm going to say edith piaf and nina simone...
0 Replies

averner

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 06:27 pm
I dont know any beautiful singers but Marcela Alejandra Bovio GarcĂ­a is pretty good, the best I know..
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:41 am
The first that came to mind for me that isn't on this list is Annie Lennox.

Haunting
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 10:42 am
Of course when it comes to music it's always subjective but I agree with a lot of opinions here.

Lately I've been killed by:

Juliette Beavan of 8mm
Tanya Stephens
Beth Gibbons of Portishead
Bjork

Other than that I remember once lounging around with a girl I was dating. We were pretty exhausted and she just started singing to me. I'd never heard the song before but it was amazing. Her voice was trembling in parts and that just made it even more intense. That beyond a doubt topped them all.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 10:44 am
Hamal,

Oooh! What a lovely memory!

How lucky you are!
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 10:56 am
I won't ever forget it, that's for sure! She played flute, and was fantastic but I'd never heard her sing. Something about live raw music... I was mesmerized.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 11:11 am
dolly parton... no, her voice strikes me as average. what i like about her is, and despite generally loathing country music, she's one of the nicest people on the planet, and it comes through in her music. also very clever, that comes through as well. and when country gets too much like pop, she goes off on an enjoyable bluegrass tangent. this is a respectable woman.

sade and sheryl crow both have voices that i can only describe as "arousing." but very beautiful. shirley manson from garbage. and ella fitzgerald is unbelievable. completely amazing and unbelievable.

it's awful that no one has mentioned natalie merchant, whom i adore. i know, at least one of you is thinking "no it isn't..." but of course we'd have to disagree. particularly her older stuff with 10,000 maniacs. they really needed each other, regardless of the fact she wrote her own incredible lyrics.

hope sandoval, from mazzy star. jesus christ... (no, i haven't heard him sing, i was talking about hope sandoval.)

but the most beautiful voice i've ever heard is gillian anderson's, and she was in a band, but not at the same time. i could listen to her just talk for a hundred million years. meg white, too. and anyone from romania, speaking romanian. that's better than most singing. easily the most beautiful language (to listen to) on earth. (for reading, i have no idea, maybe sanskrit.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 06:15 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
i know, at least one of you is thinking "no it isn't..."

Wow. How'd you know?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:25 pm
heh. natalie merchant as far as i can tell, is one of those voices people love or hate. kate bush is another. god, kate bush or air raid klaxon? you decide.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 11:48 am
yeah, I love Kate Bush's voice. So distinctive.
0 Replies

safinaz

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 01:14 pm
Enya from the west and Fairouz from the east
0 Replies

socks07

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:31 am
Nina Simone always hands down would

Im 18 but have been taught to appreciate great music
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:15 am
I still think Celine. Her voice just gave me goosebumps on this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO_vFuzPJvc
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:18 am
Re: The most beautiful female voice of all time ??
Rejosh wrote:
Two words: Karen Carpenter
Look at: www.themostbeautifulvoice.com

She had an okay voice but I found it a little thin....
0 Replies

edgar111

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:35 am
I love Patsy Kline
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 01:28 am
@Dorothy Parker,
This is an answer to an old post by a younger poster, re Yma Sumac.

I had a thread or two on her, with lots of links, but that was a few years ago.

Just checked now. Maybe you can find one, as I used google just now (nada) and not whatever links were in my threads.

she had a voice that soared for octaves and got back to guttaral, however you spell that. Incredible voice. There were times you couldn't tell if her voice was human.

I figure stuff is still on youtube.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 02:29 am
I love Joan Osborne's voice - love the tone - very soothing-but I don't know what ever happened to her. I was listening to this album the other day and reveling in her voice and song choice and then suddenly though - where is she? What happened to her:

Also love Sinead O'Connor's voice- also very soothing:

I also love Tracy Chapman's voice - it's deep and true- like a river:

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 02:50 am
@aidan,
I got to hear Tracy early on. Geographic luck.
aidan

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 03:38 am
@ossobuco,
I'll say. She's one of my musical heroes.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 10:15 am
There are many new female singers who have great voices too (although they're hard to find these days with all the GaGas around)...One is Melody Gardot and another is Florence an the Machine.

0 Replies