£60 banger is world's fastest car

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:04 am
11/2/06
Ananova:

£60 banger is world's fastest car

A Wolverhampton man has spent 25 years and £100,000 on turning a £60 banger into the world's fastest car.

Andy Frost has turned his 1972 K-reg Vauxhall Victor into a supercar capabale of 0-60 in just one second.

The car is fitted with a modified 9.3-litre Chervrolet engine and takes just 7.8 seconds to hit 183mph, reports The Sun.

Andy said: "We could've had a bigger house. But we have a unique car faster than any other on the road."

Wife Debbie said: "The car's become like one of the family."
----------------------------------------

Reminds me of "The World's Fastest Indian", a wonderful film. ---BBB

The World's Fastest Indian:

The movie biography of Kiwi motorcycle racer and New Zealand national hero Burt Munro.

The vehicular star of the movie is Burt's 1920 Indian. The original is owned by a collector in New Zealand and is far too valuable to be subjected to the rigors of filming, so a replica was built to take its place. Actually, there are three replicas - a complete version of the original, a second that is just a chassis and body and was used for camera-car action shots, and a third that's powered with a Ducati twin and was used for stand-alone action sequences.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 551 • Replies: 8
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:23 am
I'd like to take that out on the highway. On a Sunday when there's less traffic, of course.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 02:26 am
Not bad - but the world's fastest - and quickest - street-legal Quarter-Mile machine (it has Ohio plates and is driven on the street) is the Tony Schumacher/Shepherd Racing '91 Eagle Talon; breaking its own 1/4 Mile record of 7.81 seconds @ 185.03 MPH, on September 27 of this year the car turned in a 7.728 second, 188.41 MPH pass. And its a 2-Liter 4 Cylinder with a single turbo.

Shepherd Racing Official Website

Now to be fair to the Brits, the world's flat-out, bar-none FASTEST car - though hardly street legal, is British; that would be Richard Noble's ThrustSSC, driven by Andy Green on a 2-way Measured Mile average of 763.035 MPH, or Mach 1.020, on October 15, 1997. That supersonic performance remains the only one of its kind, and still stands as the World Land Speed Record.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:42 am
BBB
Oh yeah? Well, none of them are as cute as the sweet Kiwi Bert.

BBB
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:43 pm
I started reading and the first thing I thought of - before I saw BBB's part under the line - was The World's Fastest Indian as well. Great, endearing low-key feel-good movie.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:54 am
nimh
nimh wrote:
I started reading and the first thing I thought of - before I saw BBB's part under the line - was The World's Fastest Indian as well. Great, endearing low-key feel-good movie.

I tend to like these low-key films about the strength of the human spirit of the common man (woman). Ergo, my favorite film is "The Old Man and the Sea" staring Spencer Tracy. Low key, but powerful.

BBB
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 01:05 pm
You folks got me interested - I just NetFlixed The World's Fastest Indian ... look forward to seeing it.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 03:34 pm
Keep in mind, if you go that fast you will find your hands on the wheel and your ass in the back seat.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 11:20 pm
Timber
timberlandko wrote:
You folks got me interested - I just NetFlixed The World's Fastest Indian ... look forward to seeing it.

Let us know how you liked the film.

BBB
0 Replies