York Steak House and other such memories

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 04:13 pm
Some one mentioned York Steak House...and the memories just came flooding in. I remember going there and loving it as a child. I could pick out my own dish and sides and desert, etc. I thought it was so cool. It was such a treat to go as a child. Now it's gone by the way of the Dodo.

Now I would think - how horrible and crappy it is.

Do you have any fond memories of places you went as a child - no longer in existence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,082 • Replies: 22
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 04:55 pm
Paust Woodslake Resort.

Family owned. Family run.
Crappy little cabins by the lake.
No motors allowed on the lake.
Great Fishing.
Great Hiking.

From what I remember, a couple of the kids grew up and no longer wanted to help run the place. The couple wass getting to old to do it themselves and didn't want anyone else to run it. I'm pretty sure they sold it to the state under the condition it become a state park with no development.

We had lots and lots of good times there.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 05:27 pm
Kaiser's Ice Cream Parlor in Oklahoma City.

It was a remnant of my father's childhood, near downtown Oklahoma City. The original premium ice cream. They also had flavors you don't see anymore like green gage plum. Mmmm.

Black and white tile floors, bistro chairs and tables, antique stamped tin ceiling. It was wonderful.

Dad took us there as a special treat for very good grades & similar celebrations. We could pick anything we wanted off the menu. Only once was I brave enough to order the "Idiot's Delight." 10 scoops of ice cream (your choice of flavors), 10 toppings (your choice, mix & match), whipped cream, nuts, 10 cherries, and pretzel sticks stuck all over it. I've never been so happy making myself sick.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 05:41 pm
I have decided to use a emoticons to illustrate my story so the reader will get my full heart felt response.

Anyone growing up on Long Island in the 60's and 70's might remember Adventure Land Very Happy . The rides and games were a little better than a traveling carnival, although probably not any safer :wink: . They had watermelon flavored cotton candy and you could win half dead goldfish by throwing a ping pong ball in a glass bowl. The bumper cars were a favorite and I think the neck aches I experience today can be traced back to those rides Evil or Very Mad .

When I was about seven I begged my father to throw darts at a red dot the size of a cherry so I could win a stuffed hippo. My father was a good shot, but the dart would just bounce off the cherry like there was a cement wall behind it (I'm sure there was) Mad . Finally he gave up and I must have made a very sad face, because about two minutes after walking away from the booth one of the teenage boys running the game came up behind us and handed me the hippo Laughing . A month later the hippo disappeared Confused. Apparently our beagle, Barney Fife, buried it in the garden compost pile and we didn't find it until late fall- by which time the hippo could not be saved Crying or Very sad.

Adventure Land could not exist today because no insurance company with a lick of common sense would give them a policy.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 05:44 pm
It closed in 1990, but I found a picture. The building is now being used as a coffeehouse, but they have saved all the "Kaiser's" memorabilia. It was the first ice cream parlor in Oklahoma. I remember Dad saying it almost went broke during WWI because of the name.

http://www.agilitynut.com/06/3/kaisers2.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 05:57 pm
Green Witch! It's still there!

Adventureland
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:00 pm
Ahhhh...

Going to Schraft's in New York City with my mother in 1950...
Going to the Automat in NYCity with my mother in 1950... and getting a piece of pie by opening a glass (I think) door to pull out the pie from the display...
Going to some big old inn in Larchmont for dinner with my parents..

in Evanston, Illinois, going to the Dominion Room for dinner. It's the first place I have a clear memory of table cloths on the tables..
going to Foster's (?) on Green Bay Road for ice cream on a summer afternoon either with my parents or neighborhood kids and their parents.

Going up to the seventh floor in Marshall Field's, where all the restaurants were, and having lunch, undoubtedly with my mother, but possibly with other neighborhood children.

in Boston, going with relatives to a fried clam stand somewhere around Essex... I was totally enthralled..

in Los Angeles, going to the Brown Derby with my family and my cousins I think as a guest of my Rich Uncle. I don't remember the food, just the funny building and some of what it looked like inside. I think we all sat at a big booth...

and last but not least, the backyard of our neighbors' in Evanston, where we had baloney sandwiches and chicken noodle soup and Kool-Aid and Jay's potato chips and maybe even Jello. The house is still there but the family isn't.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:05 pm
the Lakeshore Terrace for a sunday buffet, with those little spiced crabapples, mmmmm

http://www.homecanning.com/can/images/recipes/imagefile323.jpg
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:07 pm
djjd62 wrote:
the lakeshore for a sunday buffet, with those little spiced crabapples, mmmmm

http://www.homecanning.com/can/images/recipes/imagefile323.jpg

Don't forget the stuffed mushroom caps.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:13 pm
while searching for pics of spiced crabapples found this

wonder if they have icicle pickles
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:14 pm
Eva wrote:

Adventureland

Well that's a little scary.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:18 pm
this might become the gold standard for fortune 500 companies everywhere

Adventureland now has Gift Cards. They make great gifts for any occasion. Does your company have a "Rewards Program", or does your child participate in a "Summer Reading Club"? What better incentive for someone to do well than to know they can win a day of fun at Adventureland!! ...Not to mention Birthday gifts, Graduation gifts, Communion gifts, Holiday gifts -- the list goes on and on... and they always fit just right!! Order yours today by Clicking on the Gift Card Above....
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:21 pm
Hey dj! Do you remember the Little Dutch Pancake House (on the corner of the Cameron Side Rd)? We'd go there for lunch after church sometimes and they had at least 4 flavours of syrup on every table.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:25 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Eva wrote:

Adventureland

Well that's a little scary.

Yeah, but more importantly, YOU CAN STILL SUE THEM!!! Laughing
(remember, your neck....)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:36 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Hey dj! Do you remember the Little Dutch Pancake House (on the corner of the Cameron Side Rd)? We'd go there for lunch after church sometimes and they had at least 4 flavours of syrup on every table.

not really, do remember robinsons confectionary though
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:39 pm
djjd62 wrote:
not really, do remember robinsons confectionary though

Don't you mean Robinson's "infectionary"? Laughing
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:41 pm
Embarrassed

Laughing
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:44 pm
What was the place in the alley off Riverside Drive not too far from Celia Hardcastle's (the music store)? Chez something?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:57 pm
consulted the oracle, it was the Chesire Cat

and what about the Paramount
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:08 pm
Yeah, the paramount was the best. First place we ever saw ugli fruit.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » York Steak House and other such memories
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 11:25:51