Alright already Mr. Guitar Hero

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 08:18 pm
Oh man. He loved it! Absolutely loved it.

He has been totally psyched ever since we left. When Mr. B got home he became re-psyched while he told him all about it. He told us all about whole notes and quarter notes and "those notes with the dots". He has marched and clapped and knocked on his xylophone (which was included in course materials).

He said "Wow! There's a lot to learn about music."

This is shaping up to be a really good experience!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 08:47 pm
Yay!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:13 pm
Good news.

The world needs a guitar playing commando.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:12 am
The guitar was a big hit! This was taken just as he made his first noise. I love the expression on his face.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/guitarman.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:54 am
Good!

"Real" parents get lots of presents on Christmas morning and most of them aren't wrapped.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 12:00 pm
Excellent!

Bear better start practicing....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 12:13 pm
Oh wow, great picture!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 12:28 pm
He looks like a natural. Did you show him how to hold it?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:58 pm
Thanks all! That wall to wall kind of happy is so scarce that I just wanted to share it with everyone.

It was so funny when he opened the gift. He ripped the wrapping off the plain, brown box, cut the tape and lifted out the guitar in it's bag -- finally figuring out what it was. Then he had to take it to another room and open it in private saying "I don't want anyone to see this".

Too funny.

Nope, FreeDuck, I guess all those hours of air guitar taught him something because he strapped it on and started strumming.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:29 pm
My chances to become a truly virtuoso guitar player may have been ruined by my parents choice of buying me a cheap guitar at around age 8. The action was so poor, it was impossible to play. They also discouraged me from playing piano because my fingers were too short, they said.

Strange, much of my family had a history in show business. I can only figure out that they were discouraging me from getting into that ne'er-do-well field.

When I was 23 and could afford to buy a good guitar, I bought a j-45, that is an acoustic guitar that sells for about 2k today. Then I bought a Strat later. I actually became good enough to earn a (meager) living singing and playing in Texas in the 80s. (I still think Texas is the best place to try to eke out a living playing live music)

Anyway, I am finally a rather accomplished musician and songwriter, though I started so late. I often wonder what would have happened if I had gotten a decent instrument when I was young.

Whatever you do, please don't get your kid a real cheap guitar, get him/her a cheap keyboard if you must.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:34 pm
That's a beautiful picture, boomer. Wall to wall happy, indeed.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:41 pm
boomerang wrote:
Oh man. He loved it! Absolutely loved it.

He has been totally psyched ever since we left. When Mr. B got home he became re-psyched while he told him all about it. He told us all about whole notes and quarter notes and "those notes with the dots". He has marched and clapped and knocked on his xylophone (which was included in course materials).

He said "Wow! There's a lot to learn about music."

This is shaping up to be a really good experience!

Sounds like a real good deal, did you get an electronic tuner in the package?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 08:03 pm
Thanks mac! It's nice to see you -- where in the heck have you been?

I think this is a good guitar, Rox. It's a Fender Squire Mini Stratocaster. I know nothing about guitars but I spent a bit of time investigating and grilled the guy at the guitar store. He helped me put together a package that was an upgrade from what could be bought in a kit for just a little bit more money (maybe like $50 more). We did get a tuner!

I heard a lot of people say just what you said - getting a cheap guitar could really discourage most kids because they are hard to play and they don't sound good. I've been assured that this guitar is not a "toy" but a real guitar.

As to your post on the other thread - I love the blues but I fear Mo is a metal head. Right now his favorite song is "Lunatic Fringe". Who sang that anyway? Red Ryder?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:13 pm
boomerang wrote:

I think this is a good guitar, Rox. It's a Fender Squire Mini Stratocaster. I know nothing about guitars but I spent a bit of time investigating and grilled the guy at the guitar store. He helped me put together a package that was an upgrade from what could be bought in a kit for just a little bit more money (maybe like $50 more). We did get a tuner!

I heard a lot of people say just what you said - getting a cheap guitar could really discourage most kids because they are hard to play and they don't sound good. I've been assured that this guitar is not a "toy" but a real guitar.

As to your post on the other thread - I love the blues but I fear Mo is a metal head. Right now his favorite song is "Lunatic Fringe". Who sang that anyway? Red Ryder?

The Fender Squire is a great starter guitar, he's very lucky and there is so much info now on the internet. Blues is the basis for all rock music, um you might remember we called it psychedelic, there was a cat named Jimi something, I seem to recall, basically he was a blues player, it is all the blues, and like I said, you either got it or you ain't, look like Little Man Mo must have it judging from that smile on his face.

The most current music I have is Dylan's new CD, I never got into metal.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:16 pm
boomerang wrote:

I disappeared for a couple of days to see my mom for xmas, but other than that, I've been around... Very Happy

Looks like you were right about Lunatic Fringe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rider
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 01:17 pm
Huh.

Maybe it's me who hasn't been around much.....

I know nothing, really, about metal music but I'm trying to learn a little. Mo really likes it. Mr. B has sattelite radio in his car and they have a metal station that Mo totally digs. I'm learning to appreciate some of it.

I may have to post a question about it -- I need some education. I've been browsing through the CD sections of the stores looking for things but I don't know where to start.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 05:18 am
That's a wicked picture boomerang.

My daughter would kill for a guitar like that. She does the best air-guitar I've ever seen. She even pretends to smash the guitar up at the end.

x
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:25 am
boomerang wrote:
Huh.

Maybe it's me who hasn't been around much.....

I know nothing, really, about metal music but I'm trying to learn a little. Mo really likes it. Mr. B has sattelite radio in his car and they have a metal station that Mo totally digs. I'm learning to appreciate some of it.

I may have to post a question about it -- I need some education. I've been browsing through the CD sections of the stores looking for things but I don't know where to start.

Don't feel bad if you never warm up to metal. Metal bands are to boys what ballerinas are to girls. I think it's hormonal. There's something aggressively sexual and socially rebellious about the bands- in goofy kind of way. The target market is young white males, even more than punk or rap. I went to a few heavy metal concerts with boyfriends when I was in my teens and always came home with ringing ears and a migraine. I also think Mo may not want to have the same taste in music as his mommy, every kid is thrilled when his parents can't stand something he loves. Remember to yell "TURN THAT RACKET DOWN!" every now and then so he knows he's annoying you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:49 am
Ha! Mo will have a hard time finding music that I don't like. I really do like just about everything -- somethings, like metal, I just don't know much about.

My parents, too, were much more likely to ask "Who sings that?" than to tell us to "Turn that racket down!". When we were all very little, back in the 60s Mom used to threaten that she was going to run away with Ringo Star when we misbehaved. We would straighten right up as we were certain that Ringo was somewhere pining away for our beautiful funny wonderful mother.

As adults, we, of course, consider the Beatles to have been "our" music. Truth be told - my mom loved them first.

I really just need to learn where to look for good metal.

Thanks, Dorothy Parker! I like the photo a lot too. I'd opened my lens up trying to blur out the background and got a lucky break when the Christmas tree lights turned into outer space.

I'm not sure I want Mo to see the guitar smashers just yet!
0 Replies