Haklloween great, just don't scare the crap out of kids

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 03:33 pm
Nightmare on Cooper Breaks Drive
An Humble family's enthusiasm for Halloween gets them in hot water with the neighbors

By MICHAEL D. CLARK
2006 Houston Chronicle

It's all Halloween fun until someone pulls the limbs off mannequins, hangs them from meat hooks on the porch next to the blood-spattered and hanged torsos to which they were once attached.

The line between holiday decorating and recreating a scene from a horror movie was at the center of a neighborhood debate over yard decor Jeff Furth and Susie Moorman's home in the Eagle Spring subdivision in Humble for the last week.

On Tuesday, the Eagle Springs Civic Association agreed with residents opposed to Furth and Moorman's gory installation. When Moorman got home from work, a certified letter with a fine for $150 was waiting on her doorstep along with instructions to take it down immediately. Failure to comply would result in fines of $200 per day.

Furth said the fines won't be necessary. Tuesday evening he moved his grim landscape of body parts, grave markers and coffins into his backyard.

"It's disappointing," he said. "This is the first time I've had to deal with the homeowner association and it was a nightmare."

Furth and Moorman say their front-yard gallery of gore was simply their way of getting into the Halloween spirit. At dusk each night they added to the spooky mood with a mix of tiki torches, red backlighting and smoke machines which lined the path to their front door with a hazy mist.

"We're like the Griswolds of Halloween," Furth said on Monday, referring to the overzealous Christmas decorating in the 1989 comedy National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Added his fiancee Moorman, "We don't want to hurt anybody's children. This is about fun."

But across-the-street neighbor Dee Dee Omensen saw nothing funny about the front yard. She said her 5-year-old, Emma Joy, burst into tears the first time she saw the bloody motif and refused to walk by it to get to Eagle Springs Elementary School.

The Furth-Moorman home is located near the neighborhood's central mailbox and next to a walking path that takes children to the nearby grade school.

"That's not festive. That's a murder depiction," said Omensen, a mother of three who says she is now driving daughter Emma Joy to and from school on a different route. "It's too real and it's inappropriate."

Heather Schrade, a mother of two elementary school age boys, summed it up simply: "It's disgusting."

Not all the neighbors, including some with young children, agreed with Omenson and Schrade. Gathering in the driveway of the house next to Furth and Moorman's on Monday night, friends and supporters watched as their kids rode scooters by the yard and walked up to take a closer look.

"It would be one thing if the yard was filled with junk and broken down cars all the time, but everybody knows that Jeff and Susie are good people," said Lori Maugans. She added that her 3-year-old and 7-year-old aren't scared because they understand it's fake.

"Seeing their yard made me want to do something scary with mine," said another neighbor, Ken Kerr.

This is the second Halloween that Furth has set up his scary decorations since moving to Houston from Florida 18 months ago. Last year there were some complaints and the Eagles Spring Civic Association, CIA Services, contacted Furth about voluntarily scaling it down. He didn't.

This year the potential hit to Furth's wallet has given him little choice but to move it out of sight. "Hopefully we'll be able to set it up (in the backyard) in a way that still draws interest," said Furth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 781 • Replies: 13
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 03:35 pm
Halloween with an extra k is especially frightening.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:27 pm
oooohhhh, some good ideas here!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:03 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Halloween with an extra k is especially frightening.

Laughing I was thinking that too-- it makes it look angrier, somehow. I find k to be an agressive letter, personally.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:14 pm
Some years back a few friends of mine came up with a rather funny idea. The trick or treaters would come to their door and they would invite them inside and tell them the treats were on the table, under the dome.

You know the kind of dome I'm talking about? Handle on top, used to cover food. Ok.

The little kids would race for the table and lift up the dome to get their treats.

What my friends had done was to cut a hole in the table under the dome and have a large tablecloth on the table that dropped to the floor and concealed my friend sitting underneath.

He then stuck his head through the hole (painted in a macabre fashion) and patiently waited.

When the kids lifted the dome he would scream "HELP ME! OH GOD...HELP ME!"

The kids tore out of that house like they had rockets up their asses.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:21 pm
Typical cheapskates at the swamp!

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:34 pm
Where ya' been, Jane? Haven't seen you around lately.

Was there some sort of convention for the humorless?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:41 pm
I was in Hawaii - serious Mai Tai convention!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:47 pm
Nice.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:54 pm
Indeed it was! A bit blurry at times, but nonetheless quite charming.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:51 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
..When the kids lifted the dome he would scream "HELP ME! OH GOD...HELP ME!"

The kids tore out of that house like they had rockets up their asses.

hehehe, That's funny as hell, gus! Laughing

good one....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:42 am
I saw one house that had a headless person (not real of course) hanged on the tree with red (supposed to look like blood) all over.

Having a wimpy young daughter that almost everything scares I could understand some parents concern, however, in this case, the "decorations" were so horrible that no one could confuse them with reality (even my Scaredy cat little girl).

It is difficult to say where to draw the line - I mean most people wouldn't want to have neighbors put a naked picture or image in their front yard (some men here on A2K would love it of course, but the average person with young kids). How about a big KKK painted on the side of their house or a swastika? Everyone has their own limit of offensiveness - I guess it would really matter how realistic and gruesome.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 12:57 pm
Personally, I think that sort of Blood&Guts decor is juvenile--tiresome rather than objectionable.

I also think of the situations in Iraq and Afghanistan, both on and off the battlefields and am thankful that most suburban gore is fictional.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 01:12 pm
I think gory displays affect me more than many kids. I refuse to look at them at all.
0 Replies