'Codebreaker: The History of Codes and Ciphers'

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:48 am
Posted on Tue, Oct. 24, 2006
Review: 'Codebreaker: The History of Codes and Ciphers'
By Tish Wells
McClatchy Newspapers

Looking for a history book that would appeal to people who like math? Try "Codebreaker" - a short history of cryptology: the study of codes and ciphers.

Journalist Stephen Pincock, who is an editor at The Financial Times and The Scientist magazine and also writes for the medical journal The Lancet, has produced a simple, easy-to-understand book for all ages to enjoy.

As far back as 1500 B.C., the Mesopotamians (current-day Iraq) wrote coded letters. Rome's Julius Caesar was well known to send his confidential instructions in cipher.

Mary, Queen of Scots wrote coded letters, which were intercepted, translated and used at her treason trial against Elizabeth I. Mary was convicted and beheaded. Musicians will be intrigued by the codes embedded in the stones of Scotland's Rosslyn chapel (of "The Da Vinci Code" fame) and the as-yet unbroken coded letters of English classical composer Edward Elgar.

Pincock defines the difference between codes where you "tend to replace whole words or phrases according to a list contained in a code-book" and ciphers as where you replace "individual letters in the message with other symbols."

It took a century and more (in 1890) to break the "great cipher" of the 17th-century French King Louis XIV and read his secret messages. During World War II, the German Enigma machine code was broken by the British providing extremely important information while the Navaho code talkers provided unbreakable communication between islands in the South Pacific.

In more modern times, the National Security Agency is the United States' major code breaking government agency. The cutting edge of the future is quantum cryptology, which may be the most unbreakable code of all since it's based in the laws of physics.

Not that history isn't littered with codes that still hold their secrets. Many Victorians created their own codes, some of which are still unbroken. It took more than 150 years to solve Edgar Allen Poe's last published cipher. Yale University's elaborately illustrated Voynich Manuscript is either random gibberish or an alchemic handbook.

Lavishly photographed, "Codebreaker" includes historical tidbits and examples all the way through. At the very end are four challenges based on the code systems included in the book. The answers are on the Walker & Co. Web site.

There's a lot of history to explore in these codes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,504 • Replies: 7
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:52 am
i have an interesting series produced by bbc radio about the history of codes and code breaking, i'll find it and post a link so people can download it
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:05 am
djjd62
djjd62, that would be great. Thanks.

BBB
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:24 pm
apparently there are 5 parts to this series, here's the first four

The Code Book-Part 1-The Birth of Cryptology

The Code Book-Part 2-The Early Code Breaking Industry

The Code Book-Part 3-The Enigma and Navajo Code Talkers

The Code Book-Part 4-The Code Key Distribution Problem

i'll see if i have the 5th part at home

please right click and "save link as", to conserve bandwidth, each segment is about 15 minutes long
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:39 pm
bm
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 02:33 pm
You folks might be interested in an internet friend of mine that I've gamed with for nearly 13 years. Elonka is quite an interesting personality. Here's her biography. Skim down to the good parts about her cryptography hobby.

In early 2002, after solving several codes, she was invited to speak on cryptography at a government taskforce meeting. She went over the history of steganography, and discussed the rumors about whether or not Al Qaeda might have been using steganography to send hidden messages (she doesn't think they were). She's been invited all over the country (including to CIA Headquarters!) to give the talk in other places. You can see the Steganography slide show as well as a tutorial of how she went about solving some of the codes she's famous for.

Click on the cryptography link for articles and interviews about Elonka's code solving.

She's even written a book this year on codes. This is a page on her website about the book.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:18 pm
Bookmark

Thank you, dj.
0 Replies

jckhoa

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 11:23 pm
thanks a lot, dj
0 Replies