It's beginning to look a lot like chickenmas

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:29 am
Soz put it well:

Quote:
Which seems to go back to, if you think the person would like it, go for it! If you don't...

A good gift takes the giftee into account.

Boomer--

If people say to you, "What would Mo like for Christmas?" you are perfectly entitled to say, "He has so much--and other children have so little, would you consider...."

Of course, I'm assuming that these people have Mo's best interests at heart.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:09 am
boomer just as an aside we used to rotate toys and playthings for our kids. Its amazing how much use a toy can get after its been in the top cupboard (maybe attic for you) for 3 months.

*RANT ALERT*

We started giving these charity gifts and cards two years ago after a trip to a city department store where we were assulted with BUY! BUY! BUY! MORE! MORE! MORE! PUSH!! PUSH!!! NEON LIGHTS!!!!!! FLASH! PUSH! MORE! FAKE! FALSE!

CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME

It just got to me. We in the developed world have so much stuff!!! and half of it we dont use/NEED anyway. Take a look at what it really is that you want to give.

OK so maybe giving a gift such as steel cookware to a Bangladeshi refugee is more about what I want than what the recipient of the card wants but its the same with any gift. If I choose to give soz an ugly vase for christmas cause thats what I think she would like, then thats my choice. Now soz dont like my vase too much cause it doesn't match the drapes BUY MORE!! so she puts it in the back cupboard because shes nice and doesnt want to hurt my feelings by throwin it away. Plus she can always drag it out when I come to visit. Its the thought that counts, isnt it?

To those who dont like the idea of charity gift giving, can you consider that I am just sending you a card?

Whats the diff between a card with crappy fake snow (rolls eyes cause its 110 F in the shade) and reindeer (They'd melt in the heat) and fat blokes in red suits advertising coke, Bah humbug! BUY BUY MORE!! MORE!!!!
AND a card that says because you recieved this card someone in Africa will get 50 trees.

Oh! and boomer, think Idea again about sending a charm bracelet with the card. Its just more useless crap that the recipient doesnt need and will throw away in 3 months cause it broken anyway.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:24 am
I lust after a really good charm bracelet.

Damned if I know why, but Ido.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:12 am
Quote:

Damned if I know why, but Ido

Maybe its a girl thing.

I lust after a .....................wait, you dont need to know that!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:23 am
dadpad wrote:
Quote:

Damned if I know why, but Ido

Maybe its a girl thing.

I lust after a .....................wait, you dont need to know that!

As I said earlier.....
O reason not the need!

[size=7]Our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing superfluous.
Allow not nature more than nature needs,
Man's life is as cheap as beast's.[/size]
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:03 am
dadpad wrote:
To those who dont like the idea of charity gift giving, can you consider that I am just sending you a card?

If all you'd send is a card anyway, sure, that makes sense. I'm thinking more about people you'd usually spend the equivalent on a thingy. It still seems like it can be separated; a card, and then donate whatever you'd like.

By the way the "connection" thing I was talking about before was between the gift-giver and the gift-recipient, not the gift-recipient and the thing. The whole, "hey, you really get me, this is wonderful!" aspect. And again, that can certainly be provided by the charity gift card (I think it would get that reaction from my husband's 90-year-old grandma). And doesn't have to be provided by a "thing," either -- my dad has said the best present he's ever gotten was a personal ad I wrote on his behalf when he was lonely but wasn't doing anything about it, which drew the response of the person he's been with for the last 14 years or so.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:30 am
This is a commercial Image from a catalog

See what I mean about usless crap. Floral hammers screwdrivers and tape measures. An all out assult is being made on that graet bastion of Aussie men "THE SHED". I protest.

http://www.ezibuy.com.au/images/cat_a_aus_5052.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:03 am
dadpad wrote:
This is a commercial Image from a catalog

See what I mean about usless crap. Floral hammers screwdrivers and tape measures. An all out assult is being made on that graet bastion of Aussie men "THE SHED". I protest.

http://www.ezibuy.com.au/images/cat_a_aus_5052.jpg

Nonsense.

Were I the type to buy floral hammers I would not put them in a shed.

Settle down.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:14 am
Thus proving you are indeed a bunny of the feminine variety. Seriouse damage could result if a hammer (floral or otherwise) was not stored in a shed.

A man without a shed is a shallow shell of his true self.

settle? SETTLE?
Ha

I'm fine really
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:24 am
dadpad wrote:
Thus proving you are indeed a bunny of the feminine variety. Seriouse damage could result if a hammer (floral or otherwise) was not stored in a shed.

A man without a shed is a shallow shell of his true self.

settle? SETTLE?
Ha

I'm fine really

Nonsense.

I store mine in a toolbox in my study.

You men are so FRANGIBLE.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:44 am
In the study? Shocked What do you do with it. study how to open it?

I bet your toolbox doesnt even have one of those bent nails through the latch to keep it closed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 04:29 am
dadpad wrote:
In the study? Shocked What do you do with it. study how to open it?

I bet your toolbox doesnt even have one of those bent nails through the latch to keep it closed.

The hammer?

I hit things with it.

The toolbox?

It has claspers.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 06:00 am
The study, huh?

Mine have their own section of the linen closet.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:01 am
dlowan wrote:

The toolbox?
It has claspers.

Leaving that one alone! Twisted Evil

Quote:

That is just so girly.

we have proper stuff in our linen closet, like a hot glue gun, face paint, a cat in a bag, a tortise shell ciggarette case, at least 3 foam lunch boxes and the vacuum cleaner and a black and white tv.

My wife and I are having a ball laughing at the stuff in our linen closet. Its like the tardis. I'd get the tape measure and measure it but thats outside in the shed!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:15 am
dadpad wrote:
dlowan wrote:

The toolbox?
It has claspers.

Leaving that one alone! Twisted Evil

Quote:

That is just so girly.

we have proper stuff in our linen closet, like a hot glue gun, face paint, a cat in a bag, a tortise shell ciggarette case, at least 3 foam lunch boxes and the vacuum cleaner and a black and white tv.

My wife and I are having a ball laughing at the stuff in our linen closet. Its like the tardis. I'd get the tape measure and measure it but thats outside in the shed!

We sensible study and linen press people rest our case.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:39 pm
Men do not appreciate the value of saving a few of the wire handles from Chinese takeout containers. They can be very useful when the job requires something larger than a bread tie.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 10:04:42