Parental Influence on Political/Religious Choices of A2Kers

snood

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 04:07 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
ginguh- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
Why thank a god? Be grateful that you were fortunate enough to be born into a family that had intelligent, caring parents.

Phoenix - is it some skin off your nose if someone thanks God?

If your "problem" (as you stated it on another thread) with the religious is only when they impose it on others, or take egregious actions and claim their god as an authority to do so, then why do you have to make that point at every mere mention of God? What is it about someone simply saying "Thank God" that you cannot let pass without challenge?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 04:58 am
snood wrote:
What is it about someone simply saying "Thank God" that you cannot let pass without challenge?

I can't speak for Phoenix, and I usually do let "thank God", "bless you", etc. pass without challenge. That's because I take these phrases as things people say without meaning anything particularly religious by it.

Other people, however, hear phrases like "thank god" and react as if you actually meant them. To appreciate their reaction, imagine your reaction if Phoenix was a satanist, and if she said "thank Satan I had such nice parents." How would you feel about a sentence like this?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 06:20 am
Quote:
I can't speak for (insert name)

...funny how that phrase is usually followed by someone answering a question not posed to them anyway...

Quote:
Other people, however, hear phrases like "thank god" and react as if you actually meant them.

I don't know why it requires a "reaction" in either case.

Quote:
To appreciate their reaction, imagine your reaction if Phoenix was a satanist, and if she said "thank Satan I had such nice parents." How would you feel about a sentence like this?

Okay, I'm imagining. ..
If I ever heard that in passing everyday conversation, my best guess at my reaction would be that I would probably give the person who said it a quizzical look, and say nothing.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 06:35 am
snood wrote:
Quote:
I can't speak for (insert name)

...funny how that phrase is usually followed by someone answering a question not posed to them anyway...

This is a public forum, where people can, and will, answer any questions they want to. I kindly suggest that you get used to this, or ask private questions per PM or e-mail in the future.

snood wrote:
Quote:
Other people, however, hear phrases like "thank god" and react as if you actually meant them.

I don't know why it requires a "reaction" in either case.

It doesn't. But remember that this is an online community. People are here because they want to react to each other. There is nothing wrong with them reacting to posts of their own free will, even if they don't have to. Again, if you don't like it when people react to your posts, don't submit them to a public forum.

snood wrote:
If I ever heard that in passing everyday conversation, my best guess at my reaction would be that I would probably give the person who said it a quizzical look, and say nothing.

Since quizzical looks are not available on A2K, what would you consider the closest equivalent to one in writing?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 06:40 am
Saying nothing. And saying "Thank God" - even in a public forum, is (IMO) not an invitation to dissenting opinion, notwithstanding your suggestion that people who visit these fora "want" a reaction to everything they say.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:14 am
Thomas wrote:
Since quizzical looks are not available on A2K, what would you consider the closest equivalent to one in writing?

How 'bout: Confused
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 08:21 am
snood wrote:
your suggestion that people who visit these fora "want" a reaction to everything they say.

That was not what I suggested. I suggested that people are here because they want to react to each other; therefore you'll just have to live with it when they react to you. Please don't put words into my mouth.

Phoenix wrote:
How 'bout: Confused

That'll work.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 04:25 am
To interrupt -sorry- and revert to the poll; I marked 'other' because my parents didn't have the same religious views - father an atheist and mother a 'something out there, childhood teaching' sort of Christian. Politically they were conservative but intelligently able to change their minds, so they didn't always vote the same way. I was brought up by tolerant and open minded parents and taught to think for myself.
I'm therefore agnostic in both religion and politics, but am interested in both and always willing to hear views from every side.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:52 pm
My parents never discussed politics in front of us until we were all at least in our late teens because they didn't want to influence us. Wouldn't tell us who they voted for until the day after the election.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:47 pm
I must live in isolation, because I've never heard this before: "thank Satan I had such nice parents."

Can't deny that Thomas doesn't have imagination! LOL
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 08:26 pm
It could happen! Laughing
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:43 am
Thank Genetics and Astrology, I'd say!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:50 pm
c.i. -- Thank Satan sounds like a made for TV movie. Or, perhaps, a Mel Brooks send up.
0 Replies

ginguh

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 10:03 pm
hmmm...wow, I didn't realize I'd cause a stir simply by saying "thank God".

hmm....

If you don't believe in God, fine. My relationship with God is a personal thing. I won't go trying to make you say "thank God".
But I don't see why anyone would get offended or upset when I say "thank God". If there is no God, then why should you care if I'm thanking a person who you don't think really exists?

Anyway, I'm sorry, just some ramblings from my head. I don't mean to cause an argument =)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 10:15 pm
ginguh wrote:
hmmm...wow, I didn't realize I'd cause a stir simply by saying "thank God".

hmm....

If you don't believe in God, fine. My relationship with God is a personal thing. I won't go trying to make you say "thank God".
But I don't see why anyone would get offended or upset when I say "thank God". If there is no God, then why should you care if I'm thanking a person who you don't think really exists?

Anyway, I'm sorry, just some ramblings from my head. I don't mean to cause an argument =)

No, see - they are not offended or upset. No, their reaction is much more egalitarian. They simply want to save the ignorants like you from your stifling and self-limiting so-called "beliefs". Big of them, isn't it?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 01:24:20