Book Club Recommendations

Piffka

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:00 pm
Okay...

Didn't you laugh out-loud in chapter 99 -- at least when he offered them 3 cookies? I thought the entire sequence was great, I even liked the change in typeface, but maybe it was because "I" was so freakin' relieved to be off of that boat.

Even more, I liked the ending... which was true?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:52 am
I just finished Life of Pi...

I absolutely loved it. While it did not make me believe in God, it did make me believe in the strength of the human spirit !

Highly recommended
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:59 am
Guatam, did you laugh out loud about the cookies? I loved it too.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 09:16 am
Actually, I laughed throughout the chapters 99 and 100 - it was hilarious !!!! I cud picture the looks on those two japanese men in my mind !!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 09:23 am
Yay. It really helped to have their asides to each other in Japanese be in that different script, didn't it?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 09:31 am
Yeah it sure did - god I am still laughing when I think abt it !
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 09:36 am
heeheee
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:46 pm
Well, I just finished "The Secret Life of Bees". Bought it last night -- my first chance to read a book "properly" (all at once) in a long while. I liked it! It fit the bill nicely -- not Great Literature by a long shot, but engaging and satisfying, with well-drawn characters that you feel a lot of fondness for. It's all about mothers and daughters and I cried buckets, and am looking forward to discussing it with the moms in my group tonight.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 07:49 pm
Gawd help me -- here's the next book that has been selected:

"Chasing Horses"

Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 08:27 pm
hmmmmmm
well let's see - the amazon reviews range from 1 to 5 stars
a romantic comedy
uh hunh
ok
and you're really really enjoying the book club? ok, then.

heck - i stuck with the book club i was in even when Simone had us lie down on the floor with our heads on each other's stomachs so we could feel each other laugh - did it relate to the book? no. could any of us figure out why she wanted us to do it? no. but Simone always wanted to be in a club when she was a kid, sooooooo we did it. We read a Joanna Lindsey in our book club. Rolling Eyes There was actually one worse book - a very very badly written book about silk worms and the spanish inquisition -

Quote:
Kathryn Harrison - A Thousand Orange Trees

Quote:
Set in 17th century Spain, "A Thousand Orange Trees" twists together the stories of two women born on the same day, whose lives are devoured by the bloodthirsty Spanish state. Francisca de Luarca, the daughter of a Castilian silk grower, is arrested by the Inquisition after a love affair with a priest and is tortured as a witch.

Marie Louise de Bourbon, the niece of Louis XIV, is transported from her beloved Versailles to marry the impotent Spanish king, and is tormented by the court when she fails to provide an heir. In her prison cell, Francisca conjures up memories of her past and dreams of the Queen's life, producing a beautifully woven narrative which takes historical fiction to new heights.
- it was so NOT beautifully anything anything
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 08:28 pm
This may be a test for your discerning self to avoid strong putdowns of people's opinions (I know you don't do that)....assuming that it is as weak as it sounds. Actually, the test may be for you to finish it. Oh, to be a fly on the wall....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:00 pm
Hee hee. (Sympathy, ehBeth, sympathy.)

This all goes back to the friendship thing that keeps coming up lately. Do I bite my tongue and find good things to say and do what I have to do to keep a community of Deaf women friends? Do I forget about the tongue-biting, and just be myself, come what may? (Which very realistically could mean losing that community -- I heard through the grapevine that I already have a reputation of "acting smart" -- a pejorative. Sigh...) Do I just decide it ain't worth it, and remove myself?

Leaning towards the second option just now...

WHY DON'T MORE HEARING PEOPLE SIGN? Or, WHERE THE HECK ARE ALL THE COOL DEAF PEOPLE? It really is important to me to have effortless signed communication.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:06 pm
By the way Sozobe, a lot of the kids in my son's high school are taking ASL at the local city college instead of a foreign language for their language credit to qualify for college. Maybe a trend is beginning!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:08 pm
That has been a mounting trend... also lots of hearing parents are teaching their hearing kids sign, just for fun/ linguistic reasons... so I have a pool of toddlers and 18-year-olds to possibly converse with. Confused

Smile
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:09 pm
ohh lucky you! How do you say fer sure and dude in ASL!?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:10 pm
Hey lady, wan teach me to sign?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:11 pm
Fer sure!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:11 pm
dude.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:13 pm
when i was still working with autistic kids, i picked up just a tad of ASL as that was about the only communication i could use to get thru to those kids. if i had learned more then i believe they would have learned more.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:14 pm
Kewl. I already know how to sign for "up yours". But that's about it.

Ima goan put up that ASL thingie soon.
0 Replies