Is Latex Attacked By Salt Water Or Anti-Freeze?

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:04 pm
Got a few minutes?

Here's the story. I have just started exercising again and find that my knees hurt. A few years ago, when I was jogging, I used to put 1 quart size plastic food storage bags, (three bags put inside each other to prevent leaks and tied off with twine), each filled with two trays of ice and a certain amount of water, and put it on my knees for twenty minutes or so while I lay on the bed watching TV. It was a very convenient treatment, since I was doing what I normally would be doing anyway, watching TV at night.

I first started icing the knees because my knees hurt the next day after jogging. After a few sessions my knees didn't hurt, but I used the ice after jogging anyway as a pro-active way to prevent the knees hurting. This way, I could jog three or four times a week without any pain at any time.

As for the commercial cold pack with the blue goodge inside, forget it. I was warned off it by a book which says it doesn't carry enough cold to be effective, and a few tries on my part confirmed it. There is a range of cold I find very effective, not superfreezing but colder than those stupid blue flexible "cold packs" put out, for sure.

Anyway, the jogging was some years ago and I haven't jogged for years. I have found the need to exercise, and find that even brisk walking or stationary bike causes knee pain. The walking causes pain south of the kneecap, the stationary bike north of the kneecap. Yes, I've put on weight. I really like the stationary bike because it gives me the chance to exercise fairly heavily without putting too much strain on most body joints-except the knee, slightly.

Because the knee pain is at two points, I found it necessary to use the two ice bags with two trays of ice each plus water on each knee. As you can imagine, this gets quite cumbersome. So I decided to try commercial ice bags. The ontly trouble there, indeed the main reason I have not gone to them before now, is the size of the opening to put the ice. The ice cubes in the standard size tray are too large to be poured in conveniently-they must be put in one at a time.

I don't feel like putting in eight trays of ice into ice bags one cube at a time.

Which leads us to a couple of different attempted solutions.

One is smaller ice cubes than the standard tray. Apparently Camco makes smaller trays with smaller cubes for RV's. Even though the ice tray is slightly slimmer than the standard, (4 inches vs 4.5 inches), note the cubes are three across, not two across. Therefore, the cubes will be considerably smaller than the standard.

http://camco.net/images/LargeProduct/44100.jpg

And Kitchenworks has some trays that make 90 really small cubes, which look fun to try regardless of the icebag situation.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/kelticwizard100/Littleicecubetray.jpg

Also, apparently commercial ice makers are available around $200 that will make smaller ice cubes, but that is a lot more than I planned to pay for suitably sized frozen water. It is not so high a price to be ruled out if all else fails, however. And of course, I could invest in a whole new fridge which makes smaller ice cubes, which I would rather not.

The second way around this is to add some sort of anti-freeze agent to the water to prevent freezing, and putting the icebags with resulting solution in the freezer permanently, except when using. The problem with this appproach is that I tried it with the plastic bags, and the resulting bag was too cold to use on the knee.

I feel that can be taken care of one of three ways, (I am open to more suggestions):

A) Take a wet cloth towel and put between the too-cold icebag and the knees. This might work but I kind of like the ice water in the bag and the blood in the knee to be in as close a communion as possible. After all, the body is 97% water. I think something magical happens between the blood near the hurt and swollen area and the ice water when only a thin membrane is separating them.

B) Keep a large container of water/antifreeze combo at room temperature on hand, and before each use empty out a small percentage of the supercold water in each icebag and replace it with a similar amount of room temperature water/antifreeze combo. This won't take long-the screw-on cap in each icebag is very quick to open and close.

C) Take the icebags out and throw into the microwave for a few minutes, just enough to heat them up a little. My guess is that my freezer is probably plus 15º or 20º Fahrenheit, and three minutes should heat the water up 10º, which should be near to where I want it. If not, just a couple of more minutes in the mocrowave should do it. The icebags contain no metal-just latex lined fabric and a plastic opening and screwcap.

My three choices for the anti-freeze agent, which should not be anywhere near 50% of the total solution, are salt, ethylene glycol and propylene glycol. Ethylene glycol is the normal, poisonous car anti-freeze, and propylene glycol is the animal safe anti-freeze. Since the propylene glycol brands seem only minimally more expensive than the poison, I am strongly leaning toward proplylene if choosing between the two.

My problem is that I don't know if salt or either of the glycols attack latex, and the icebag box suggests you don't use anything except water in the bag.

So, does anyone know if salt, ethylene glycol or proplylene glycol attacks latex? Does anyone have a better anti-freeze suggestion, (I thought of alcohol but there is that microwave possbility). Or does anyone have any better ideas on how to get wet cold on my knees?

Suggestions are appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,199 • Replies: 11
No top replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:32 pm
This is heavily edited, because it came from an odd place..and that's all I'll say about that...no link.

"In general, Latex will decay from salt/sweat. However as long as you wash off the salt/sweat after use, put baby-powder on the inside ( or Cult which is a latex lube) and polish the outside latex, it will keep fresh.

Oil from talc powder will damage latex. Oils, greases, abrasives and solvents will destroy latex. Keep latex away from heat, flames will damage and destroy latex. Direct sunlight will discolor and perish latex.

Store latex in a dark, dry place. Never use oil-based products, detergents, bodyoil or petroleum on latex: it will cause decay. Copper, brass and bronze will permanently stain latex."
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:04 pm
2Packs:

Links are unnecessary, I don't think you would lie to me. Thank you for this info.

This information you gave me is very useful. Alas, it does not bode well for the idea of salt water filled icebags put in the freezer permanently and only removed for a few minutes daily for use on my knees.

This information also seems to indicate alcohol cannot be used either.

Now, all I have to determine is if the glycols count as solvents, (I don't know if they do).
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 09:34 pm
Running is not a good form of exercise as it hurtthe knees from the pounding and wear and tear. Steve Reeves, MR Hercules, invented power walking i.e. walking at a fast pace. It is as good cardio-vascular exercise.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 10:02 pm
Professional basketball and football players always seem to be having knee trouble. I know the trainers treat the players with bags of something, but I don't know what's in the bags.

My advice to you, before jogging and treating your knees with bags of ice, or anti-freeze, is to consult an MD who specializes in sports medicine and see what he/she has to offer you.

You don't mention your age, but if you're always having pain after jogging and biking, you need to talk to a professional who may be able to help you with your current problems as well as help you to avoid
damaging your knees any further, than they have apparently been injured.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:43 am
Talk72000 & Miller:

Thank you both for your answers. However, I seem to have allowed a misconception to take place. I have no interest in jogging for the forseeable future. I am interested only in walking briskly and the stationary bike without knee pain.

There has been no injury. Since I stopped jogging several years ago, I have had various walking regimens, all with no knee pain whatsoever. I only jog when my weight is below a certain point, and I am well past that point.

What has hapened, in a nutshell, is that I was walking without pain for years, stopped for a couple of months, my weight went up higher and now a return to exercising, indeed general activities, is causing the knees to ache. In the past, I have gone on various weight losing regimens, but I find that I need exercise along with diet to be successful.

When I started jogging the first time, about ten years ago or so, my knees ached much worse than this, and icewater application worked miracles in a very short time. It enabled me to resume jogging, eventually going up to 4 plus miles three or four times a week, without any pain whatsoever. Ona few occasions, I went 10 miles in under 90 minutes, but that was very, very occasional. This is why I want to go back to the icewater treatment.

However, since the stationary bike seems to cause pain slightly above the kneecap, and walking seems to cause it slightly below the kneecap, two bags per leg are now called for, and the old triple food bag tied off with twine bit is getting too cumbersome to do everyday. If something takes too long to do, as this process now does, I'll find excuses to skip it.

This has led to the icebag purchase, and my problems in getting the ice cubes into the icebag efficiently. My major concern is getting wet cold onto the knees.

There is the styrofoam cup method, where small cheap styrofoam cups are filled with water and put in the freezer, and when frozen the ice is rubbed all over the knee area. As the ice melts, the styrofoam cup is peeled back, and the process continues. The only problems with this is that it is messy as heck, it's getting a little cold to use outdoors and you can't watch TV while doing it, like you can with icewater in bags resting on the knee.

However, I am open to suggestions on how to get wet cold onto the knees conveniently.

And of course, I am very open to suggestions for a form of anti-freeze which won't attack the latex coating of the ice bags.

I wonder if sugar is okay with latex? I've also seen gelatin mentioned as a non-ionizing, (and I would guess therefore noncorrosive) additive to stop the water from freezing.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 01:24 am
I am not a doctor but I feel the knees need lubricants so consume some greasy foods like avocado, fish oil (cod liver oil). I don't know if it will do any good but eat ligaments. i.e. cook meat at low temperature till the ligaments are soft. The Chinese have a dish of cooked chicken feet or pigs feet. They are cooked right as the ligaments are jelly soft. You have a form of arthritis. There are herbs and stuff like that which could help your condition.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 02:07 am
Quote:
I wonder if sugar is okay with latex?

Would depend on the concentration of the sugar. Sausage casing is reisistant to high sugar concentrations, so perhaps latex is too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:53 am
You might try glucosamine. (A placebo effect is better than no effect at all, and maybe the stuff actually works.)

Also, how do you feel about swimming? Great exercise, easy as can be on the joints. Not a possiblity or a relished activity for many folks, though.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 01:48 pm
Basically the body has only the pleasure/pain principle with which to articulate its thoughts.

To its great misfortune it has saddled with a brain which has a much too easy method of articulation and a sponge-like capacity to adopt all sorts of inconsistent and daft ideas it picks up from such places as teachers, media and crap books and magazines which all vary geographically, sociologically and psychologically and it uses all these to dominate the body and make it do its bidding.

The body can only answer back with oohing and aahing and ouching.

An ouch translates as "hey mate! knock off that jogging or I'll kick you where ice packs can't reach."
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:01 pm
our physiotherapist has a saying :
"if it hurts , don't do it ! your body is sending you a message !"

why would you want to inflict additional pain - and damage - on your knees and perhaps your whole body ?
if you think that your weight is a problem , i doubt that the icepacks will help you - only you know what to do about that , right ?
anyway , hope you'll get your pain under control .
have you perhaps damaged your ligaments ?
if that's the case , you probably need medication and physiotherapy to reduce your pain .
good luck !
hbg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:31 pm
By the way, if you're getting knee pain from a stationary cycle, treat it like a real bike. Lighten up the resistance and increase the cadence. Make sure the saddle is not set so high your leg is fully extended on the downstroke.

If you are still getting knee pains, or would if you weren't icing them, find something else to do. Not sure about the greasy food advice, unless you are terminally malnourished, but glucosamine really does work in a high percentage of cases.
0 Replies