FAMILY LEAVES UNITED STATES FOR CANNA ISLAND

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 07:33 pm
a family from new york state has decided to accept an offer from the scottish government to take up residence on the island of canna !

the 'scotsman' reports :
"A FAMILY will give up their home in upstate New York later this month to start a new life on the most remote inhabited island in Britain.

Tom Hyndman, his wife Liz and their son Henry, five, will leave the historic and cultural centre of Saratoga Springs, New York, a city with a population of about 35,000, some 100 restaurants, a wide range of department stores and a number of museums and arts centres. It is 30 minutes from the state capital, Albany, and just over three hours from New York City. "

...LIVING ON CANNA ISLAND...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,522 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:46 pm
This isn't one of those "Joe Nation" things, is it?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 11:14 pm
No doubt this means McDonalds will be opening there soon.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:15 am
I am shaking my head. Boy, I must be getting old. My first thought was, when I read the story, "what about doctors and hospitals!" Sad
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 06:27 pm
yea , i guess we wouldn't want to live there ... but even in northern ontario there are a fair number of people that live hours away from the next doctor/hospital . some small communities might have a community nurse who would have phone/internet access to a medical facility but there are still trappers and others that sort of live in the wilderness .
hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 06:51 pm
I see a book in gestation/
Id call it "I CANNA STAND ET NEH MORRRRRRRRRRR"
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 06:52 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 06:53 pm
Ok, thaaaaat made me laugh.

I think of the child. Depending on the family and circumstances, this could be fantastic or horrible..
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 06:58 pm
canna island seems to be quite popular with tourists . about 30,000 tourists viseted the island last year - and it has a population of about 20 people !
apparently the island is popular with birders , also it has some rare woodmice ; they were actually 'evacuated' prior to the extermination of the rat population - the woodmice were kept at a scottish zoo and are being repatriated - no kidding Rolling Eyes
hbg

...CANNA ISLAND...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 07:05 pm
They are the main ingredient for the world famous Canna Hagis
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 07:12 pm
"smok' em , if you got 'em" :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 07:15 pm
Oh, never mind then about the child, I'd thought he (I forget re he or she, and I don't want to look back) would be very much more isolated.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 07:29 pm
actually some comments posted to the BBC site said that the child would probably grow quite well into the environment - really never having seen "civilization" :wink: , but that the parents might have trouble adjusting .
i remember when we came to this city of 50,000 some fifty years ago from a million plus place - well , the locals got used to us :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 09:26 pm
A second reading of the original post confirmed what had stuck in my head - these people have actually moved to Fair Isle (where the knitting pattern developed) not Canna.

There is a comment on the link from a member of the other family that was granted a lease, and I quote -

"As one member of the Aberdeenshire family who recently moved to Fair Isle, could I just point out that life here is not as doom and gloom as some might think.

The fair isle bird observatory opens from march till october, is licenced, has a bar & frequently hosts island events from themed food nights to the regular Fair Isle Thursday events which include slide shows,local musicians & poets, which is widely attended by locals & visitors alike.

As to why anyone would pull up sticks & head out here to live or croft as we do... We'll you'll just have to come visit & see for yourself."

Apart from sounding somewhat cold and damp, it could be a very rewarding life.
0 Replies