If I dilute a 1M concentration of HCl what will happen to its pH
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,765 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:09 am
nothing. It is just more dilute now, but the pH is unaffected.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:24 am
Is that right? I'd have thought the pH would be changed?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 11:32 am
I won't give a direct answer. Use your brain.

pH is a measure of hydrogen ion (H+) concentration. (pH = - log [H+])

If you add water to Hydrochloric acid, how will that affect the H+ concentration of the solution? Will it increase, decrease or remain unaffected? pH will vary accordingly.

If H+ concentration increases, pH will be reduced i.e it it were 4 it will jump back to 2 . Hence, the solution will become more acidic. (This is just an example and not necessarily true for your situation)

Now, you should be able to figure it out.
0 Replies

Gouki

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:59 pm
Think about what concentration is equal to:

c = n/v where c is concentration, n is the number of moles of the solute and v is the volume.

If you 'dilute' a solution, it means you're adding to the volume of the solution, so v increases, n stays the same. (That means n is divided by a larger number) c inevitably decreases.

pH = -log[H+], if c decreases, pH must increase, which indicates that the solution is turning LESS acidic.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:25 pm
In an on-the-fly, clinical kind of way, I've come to think of pH as a scale of [OH-] in the solution -- which may not always be right, I guess, but it's close enough for anybody's purposes.

Course, then you have to think about pH in terms of the equilibrium,

H+ + OH- <--> H2O

but I always find that easier to think about than the algebra of it.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 10:42 am
wouldn't the pH of the solution change, the acid's pH is always the same, or am I missing something...
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 11:02 am
The poster didn't make it clear in the first message.

Of course, pH of an acid is constant.

Ugh, and he/she, I suppose, is not going to even turn up!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 03:31 pm
No, the pH WILL change!

1M HCl just means that there are 1 mole of H+ ions dissolved per liter of solution. If you dilute 1 liter to, say, 2 liters by adding 1 liter of water, the pH will rise (the solution will be less acidic). 'Tis the nature of dilution. Would you rather have to drink a cup of vinegar straight from the bottle, or would you rather be allowed to dilute it with a gallon of water first? (Assuming that not drinking is not an option, of course...)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 05:57 pm
Wouldn't 8 pints of John Smith's Extra Smooth be even better?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 06:13 pm
Plus some fish and chips, and make sure the vinegar is of the malt variety, and I'd be a happy puppy.

(Mmmmm, pitchers of ale and fish and chips back at the Pacific Inn... What in the hell am I doing in America's heartland?)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 12:27 am
Re: pH of acids
lledbrook wrote:

An important piece of information, you've not posted is the extent of the dilution. If you mix 1 ml of the acid with 1 ml of water, the pH will hardly change at all, as water does not buffer the acid.
Under these conditions, the pH will be 1-2.

Now, if you take 1 ml of the acid and drop it into the ocean, the pH of the ocean will NOT become 1-2, will it? O f course not.
The pH of the whole ocean will not change, after the acid mixes with the ocean water.

So, before you can answer your posted question, you must post the vol of the water and HCl that are involved.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 12:29 am
Quincy wrote:
wouldn't the pH of the solution change, the acid's pH is always the same, or am I missing something...

You're missing something!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 12:30 am
spidergal wrote:

No the pH of the acid is not a constant. What's a constant is the pKa of the acid!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 07:28 am
Miller wrote:
lledbrook wrote:

An important piece of information, you've not posted is the extent of the dilution. If you mix 1 ml of the acid with 1 ml of water, the pH will hardly change at all, as water does not buffer the acid.
Under these conditions, the pH will be 1-2.

Now, if you take 1 ml of the acid and drop it into the ocean, the pH of the ocean will NOT become 1-2, will it? O f course not.
The pH of the whole ocean will not change, after the acid mixes with the ocean water.

So, before you can answer your posted question, you must post the vol of the water and HCl that are involved.

1M HCl has a pH of 0: -log(1)=0
0.5M HCl (what you get if you dilute 1M HCl with an equal volume of distille water) has a pH of roughly 0.3: -log(0.5)=0.3 (or should; on a logarithmic scale, a change of 0.3 is a roughly two-fold change in magnitude on a linear scale)

Doesn't matter how disparate the volumes are, you still know what the direction of the change is (even for 1 ml dropped into the ocean), which is all the question is asking for.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 07:41 am
BM
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 07:42 am
Miller wrote:
spidergal wrote:

No the pH of the acid is not a constant. What's a constant is the pKa of the acid!

Yeah, pKa. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies