Jello spurs security alert

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 03:43 pm
Leftover jelly triggers German security alert

Quote:
BERLIN (Reuters) - A small pile of leftover jelly discarded beside the road after a wedding party caused a large-scale security alert in Germany with biochemical experts, firemen and police called in to investigate.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Passers-by called police after finding a pool of a flabby red, orange and green substance on the roadside," a police spokesman in the eastern town of Halle told Reuters on Monday.

Fears of toxic waste led to the closure of a wide area after the emergency call on Sunday, and experts wearing chemical warfare suits spent two hours examining the gelatinous substance before deciding that it was -- jelly.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 913 • Replies: 16
No top replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 07:47 pm
You know what, though? This somehow got way less funny when I read the story closer and found that it was actually jellY, not jell-O. Jell-o's just funnier I guess. Jelly, not so much.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 07:49 pm
I am not surprised that a country that would produce Walter Hinteler and Calamity Jane would be alarmed at a pile of jello on a roadside.

It just makes sense to me.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 08:11 pm
Thank God it wasn't a blancmange.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:01 pm
All I can say to this: Ever since I left the country, they're scared **** over there.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:49 pm
cyphercat wrote:
You know what, though? This somehow got way less funny when I read the story closer and found that it was actually jellY, not jell-O. Jell-o's just funnier I guess. Jelly, not so much.

Gee, what a wet blanket! Where's your sense of humor? It's gut-bustingly hilarious! Just thinking about it now has me in tears. :wink:
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:48 pm
oh man! that's the most biting sarcasm I've ever heard from you, Reyn! Just peeved that you didn't get to post this story first, eh? Razz
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 11:05 pm
cyphercat wrote:

I am totally confused. When I read the story, it WAS Jell-o! Confused
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:09 am
Do you know why Jell-O is considered suspicious? Take a good look at it. It's not dead yet! Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 10:13 am
cyphercat wrote:
oh man! that's the most biting sarcasm I've ever heard from you, Reyn! Just peeved that you didn't get to post this story first, eh? Razz

Laughing Ya, I sure put that one in, eh?

You may have noticed, if you wander over to HI, there's a lot less of me about these days.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 06:02 pm
Reyn wrote:
You may have noticed, if you wander over to HI, there's a lot less of me about these days.

What? Why?? You can't post less, Human Interest wouldn't be the same without you, Reyn! Crying or Very sad I always read the oddball things you find.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:59 pm
cyphercat wrote:
What? Why?? You can't post less, Human Interest wouldn't be the same without you, Reyn! Crying or Very sad I always read the oddball things you find.

Hmm, I'm pretty busy with a new chess site these days, playing on average 50 games simultaneously (over several days, of course! Laughing ).

So, basically, I wander over to A2K when there's a lull in the action. It doesn't leave me a lot of time for starting my own topics. I'm also getting a feeling that folks aren't quite so interested in that kind of stuff anymore. A bit of over-kill, I guess.

The bottom line is that I'm only popping in for a few posts per day. I haven't left, just reducing time spent here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 09:10 pm
I'm glad you are involved with the chess, oh, you of a better brain than mine, but don't feel unappreciated. Some of your stuff didn't get answered, but we also got used to answering and riffing on it. Whatever, you're part of us, however much you post.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 09:13 pm
Thanks for that.

I've noticed a few filling in a bit in my absence. Good to see.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 09:37 pm
I read just about all of your posts, Reyn, even when I didn't comment-- always enjoyable.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 09:53 pm
Awww, come here......

[scratches cypher under chin and behind ear]

:wink:
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:33 pm
Ah-ha, so that's why I spontaneously started purring last night! Wink
0 Replies