Equations of Motion (help)

Quincy

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:03 am
Please tell me if what I am doing is acceptable:

the question is:

A car travelling at 88 m/s sees another vehicle 600m ahead travelling at 29 1/3 m/s in the same direction(constant vel.) What is the least acceleration the first car must undergo in order to avoid a collision.

My answer:

For the first car

s= 88t + 0.5at^2

Second car

s=29 1/3 t

therefore

88t + 0.5at^2 = 29 1/3 t + 600

which is

0.5at^2 + 58 2/3 t -600 =0

Now the two cars may never cross (intersect) therefore the roots must be none real.
therefore

(58 2/3)^2 - 4(0.5a)(-600) <O

then solve for "a"...is this ok to do?

Also

88t + 0.5at^2 < 29 1/3 t + 600

=> 0.5at^2 + 58 2/3 t -600 <0 for all values of "t"...right? Where do I go from there?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 950 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Quincy

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 02:36 pm
Also, I am pullin my hair out at this one:

The two ends of a train moving with constant acceleration pass a certain point with velocities "u" and "v". Find in terms of "u" and "v" what proportion of the length of the train will have passed the point after a time equal to half that taken by the train to pass it.

Please help, i just can't get this!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:05 pm
Re: Equations of Motion (help)
Quincy wrote:
=> 0.5at^2 + 58 2/3 t -600 <0 for all values of "t"...right? Where do I go from there?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

There are 2 variables in 1 equation. You can't solve for both!

You need to use the information about the starting distance between them.

I will all the fast one car A and the slow one car B.

You know that B.x(0) - A.x(0) = 500 because this is the difference in starting positions, and you know that B.x(f) = A.x(f) because they will be at the same position at the end of the acceleration.

You also know that A.v(f) = B.v(f) because they will be going the same speed at the end.

Using: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, we write equations for both and set them equal because final positions are equal.

A.x(0) + A.v(0)*t + 1/2at^2 = B.x(0) + B.v(0)*t

Now we can substitute in the difference...

A.v(0)*t + 1/2at^2 = 500 + B.v(0)*t

Now subst in the numbers

(1) 88*t + 1/2at^2 = 500 + 29.33*t

To get the other equation, use v = v0 + at on car A.

A.v(f) = A.v(0) + a*t

Substituing in, we get

(2) 29.33 = 88 + a*t

Now we have 2 eq's and 2 unknowns. Solve (2) for 'a':

a = (29.33 - 88)/t

Substitute that into equation (1), this gives value of t, plug back into eq (2) and that gives you a.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:16 pm
Quote:
There are 2 variables in 1 equation. You can't solve for both!

But we know that for all real and positive values of "t" that
0.5at^2 + 58 2/3 t -600 <0
must be satisfied, therefore, from that, can we derive the values of "a" that will satisfy the inequality? The graph must open downwards (if you know what I mean), it must be completely below the x- axis, therefore a<o and the roots are non-real right?

Quote:
You also know that A.v(f) = B.v(f) because they will be going the same speed at the end.

I can't see why they must be going the same speed at the end...they want to AVOID a collision.

Your lettering is odd, could you please rephrase that as s=displacement
u=initial velocity v=final velocity a=acceleration t=time.

I guess that means the rest of my working out is correct then?

Thanks Stuh 505
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:59 pm
Quote:
But we know that for all real and positive values of "t" that
must be satisfied, therefore, from that, can we derive the values of "a" that will satisfy the inequality? The graph must open downwards (if you know what I mean), it must be completely below the x- axis, therefore a<o and the roots are non-real right?

In most cases there will still be infinite solutions. Even for problems where it does narrow it down to 1 solution, solving is not straightforward. For physics problems, you will never be asked to solve a system of equations that has more unknowns than equations. It is easy to solve it using 2 equations like I showed you.

The work that you did leading up to this point looked right, but what I posted was a complete solution from start to finish, it does not start where you left off. Some of what you did is included in what I wrote.

In order to have "barely" a collision, the fast car would decellerate just enough so that by the time it was just about to hit the slow car, they were going the same speed. In this example we are assuming that the cars are "points" that have no size...so the ending condition is when the 2 points are at the same position and going the same speed. Thus, the value for "a" is the minimum value to have a collision. Your teacher wants the least amount of acceleration to avoid a collision, so that would be "a + epsiolon", where epsilon is some infinitely small number.

Notation:

A = fast car
B = slow car

f = final time
0 = start time

A.v(f) = final velocity of car A
B.v(f) = final velocity of car B
A.v(0) = initial velocity of car A...
A.x(0) = initial position of car A
A.x(f) = final position of car A...
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 04:31 pm
Quote:
In most cases there will still be infinite solutions

Yes, but it will be an inequality right? and from there one can find the minimal value?

"But we know that for all real and positive values of "t" that
must be satisfied, therefore, from that, can we derive the values of "a" that will satisfy the inequality? The graph must open downwards (if you know what I mean), it must be completely below the x- axis, therefore a<o and the roots are non-real right?"

The roots of an equation

ax^2 + bx + c =0 is

x = (-b +- SQRT(b^2 - 4ac))/2a

Therefore if the roots of
0.5at^2 + 58 2/3 t -600

are non-real, then
b^2 - 4ac< 0

i.e.

(58.67)^2 - 4(0.5)(-600)<0

that's what I'm getting at.

Quote:
A = fast car
B = slow car

f = final time
0 = start time

A.v(f) = final velocity of car A
B.v(f) = final velocity of car B
A.v(0) = initial velocity of car A...
A.x(0) = initial position of car A
A.x(f) = final position of car A...

Thanks, you helped me a lot! thanks a lot!
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 04:35 am
Quote:
The two ends of a train moving with constant acceleration pass a certain point with velocities "u" and "v". Find in terms of "u" and "v" what proportion of the length of the train will have passed the point after a time equal to half that taken by the train to pass it.

any one?
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 05:45 pm
Isn't this a much simpler question? The first car is travelling relative to the second at 88 - 29 1/3 = 58.666666666 etc m/s and only has 600 metres to match velocity...

So simply sovle 58.66666^2 - 0^2 = 2 a * 600

a = ((58 2/3)^2/ 1,200)^1/2

a = 1.68 m/sec/sec deceleration to avoid a collision.

Once you realise you can work with the relative, rather than absolute velocities - the problem is trivial.

Oh, missed your train question,

You need equations v = u + at, s = ut + 1/2 at^2 and and v^2 - u^2 = 2as. Assume the train has length s, and find distance s1 so that the train moves only half of the time alloted t.

a = (v^2 - u^2)/2s, and t = (v-u)/a, so

t = 2s(v-u)/(v^2 - u^2), now ask in half this time say t1 how big is s1 as a proportion of all of s?

Note I realise the train is under constant acceleration - imply not only is a static, but far more helpfully there are no compression waves going through the carriages in the train - changes the distances between the end points you are considering - back in a sec...

so half this time is simply t1 = s(v-u)/(v^2 - u^2), so how far in terms of s1 will the train travel in this amount of time? (Note you don't have to calculate v1 as we are only interested in 1/2 of t, which we can express as factions of the end points.

s1 = ut1 + 1/2 a * t1 ^2 , so substitute in back a and t1 and simplify

s1 = u[s(v-u)/(v^2 - u^2)] + 1/2[(v^2 - u^2)/2s][s(v-u)/(v^2 - u^2)]^2

s1 = s [u(v-u)/(v^2 - u^2)] + s{1/2[(v^2 - u^2)/2][(v-u)/(v^2 - u^2)]^2}

S1 = s { [u(v-u)/(v^2 - u^2)] + 1/2[(v^2 - u^2)/2][(v-u)/(v^2 - u^2)]^2 }

so s1 / s percent is = 100 * [u(v-u)/(v^2 - u^2)] + 1/2[(v^2 - u^2)/2][(v-u)/(v^2 - u^2)]^2

... I'll leave you to simplify and check! Nifty being able to simply it only in terms of v and u!
0 Replies

jckhoa

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:13 pm
Re: Equations of Motion (help)
Quincy wrote:
Please tell me if what I am doing is acceptable:

the question is:

A car travelling at 88 m/s sees another vehicle 600m ahead travelling at 29 1/3 m/s in the same direction(constant vel.) What is the least acceleration the first car must undergo in order to avoid a collision.

I think the question should ask about the maximum acceleration, not the least acceleration
0 Replies

g day

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:40 am
I think semantics aside (minimum deceleration, maximum acceleration) the questions are answered rather definitively!
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:51 am
Thanks a lot g_day for your help!

And yes, I think the question meant "what is the minimum deceleration", since isn't deceleration only negetaive acceleration.

But thanks a lot once again everyone.
0 Replies