Give me your Recommendations

Green Witch

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 09:33 pm
You might want to try Mary Stewart's Merlin series, " The Crystal Cave" is the first of the three. Good atmosphere and an interesting historical treatment of the Arthurian legend from the point of view of Merlin.

If you just want a fun, on-going, good adventure with a strong anti-hero, I suggest you try the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett. The first title in the series is "The Game of Kings", and I seem to recall there are 5 books total. It's not a mythical book, but rather takes place in 16th Europe. It's very layered with a lot of interesting characters, intrigue and plot twists.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 09:40 pm
Our poster said

I won't read anything with interior monologue or worse: flat out description of a character's thoughts.

Perhaps a new more specific question???
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 09:47 pm
All the books he mentions as having loved have both those traits. In L0TR we are often given a serious look into the thoughts of characters and plenty of long (as in paragraphs and paragraphs) of straight out descriptions. I think the poster just likes to be a fuss pot. I hope he will let us know when his book is published and we can critique it.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 01:26 am
Dracula
jckhoa wrote:
"Thorn birds" by Collin McCollough: love story of a woman and a catholic priest Laughing
Some ancient books I like :
- "Wuthering heights" by Emily Bronte: crazy, wild, thrilling love between man and a woman which influences their descendants.
- "Dracula" by Braham stoker: the title tells its content. I think "dracula" represents the capitalsm boss who suck its weaker persons to make money Confused

Dude! I well maybe I won't go as far as to say I loved "Dracula" but I found it highly interesting! I'm checking out Collin McCollough right now. Thanks for the advice.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 01:36 am
You think so?....
Well at least I got people interested and now I'm getting a lot of siggestions.
I've checked out three books from the library thanks to all your siggestions. Thanks guys!

Green Witch wrote:
All the books he mentions as having loved have both those traits. In L0TR we are often given a serious look into the thoughts of characters and plenty of long (as in paragraphs and paragraphs) of straight out descriptions. I think the poster just likes to be a fuss pot. I hope he will let us know when his book is published and we can critique it.

Anyway, I'd love to debate your statement. First I agree with the Fus Pot, I am fusy; but if I'm going to spend my time doing something I'm going to enjoy it. Life is a limited time offer you know.
I disagree though, that Tolkien had a lot of interior monolouge or description of thoughts. The closest thing I know of (and I've had this debate before) is the time when Sam has the One Ring and wants to be Samwise the Great. But that really felt to me more like the description of a vision Sam actually experienced which is certainly fair game in my mind.

By the way, who said I was a novelist?
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 01:40 am
Re: More!
sozobe wrote:
IVIr wrote:
I'm looking into "A Princess..." and Redmond O'Hanlon. To be honest though, I'm not into two much discription.

Douglas Adams has a ton of description in his books. Thing is, it's FUNNY description. Same with O'Hanlon.

I agree Douglas Adams had a lot of description sometime too much. Particularly later on in his Hitcher's series or in the Dirk Gently's. Though I think it's different from a lot of the description out there. This was as you said: "funny". It had some reason to be there other than filling up pages.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 01:45 am
Small Gods!!!
littlek wrote:
Have you tried Terry Pratchett?

Wow!!! I just started reading Small Gods! It's amazing! You got any others you might recommend?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:41 am
Re: Oh, Come on....
IVIr wrote:
You guys are so bloody boring...
I'm going to finish my own novel before you guys recommend one.

I took this to mean you are writing a book. Maybe you should give it a try.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 12:32 pm
Okay, I'll confess...
THat was a poor figure of speach. I was up late when I wrote that I meant something more like I could write my own novel and read it in said time.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:54 pm
Just when it was getting good...
Come on, I got some great book adivce and almost started a good debate. Keep it coming. I don't want to pick up just one new author I like after all this sweat, blood, and tears.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 06:46 pm
I love Terry Prachet!!!
Okay, I got a funny author but now I need someone to recammend a serious author?
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 04:21 pm
So you guys gave up the fun?
Tell me about a serious author?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:00 pm
IVIr, you have this combination of overgeneralization and pugnacity that kinda squelches any possible response. But I'll go ahead and ask for more specifics. "Serious" is very, very general. Serious fiction? Hard-hitting investigative reporting? A heavy biography? Give us something to work with...
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:05 pm
Yeah...
Sorry, I forgot... Nobody's going to read all the back story. I wouldn't. I had meant serious as upposed to being funny. But in the greater area of serious I was hoping that you could give me some ideas to an author who might come off something like either Tolkien or Scott Spencer or the early F. Paul Wilson novels. (Three absolutely different wonderful authors!) Tolkien I think needs no explaining. Spencer is serious romance pychological pain of death type of stuff beautiful NON-DULL description with NO INTERIOR MONOLOUGE. F. Paul Wilson is currently writing away crap but he was great for a few books. Legacies was his prime. High octaine adventure a mercenary in New York City who will give you justice and truely justice (he was a good guy) but he had a price. He needed to eat too. Good stuff. I'd recommend either of those authors to you, actually. (For F. Paul Wilson the first three books of the Repair Man Jack series.)
0 Replies