Give me your Recommendations

IVIr

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 11:54 am
Hey all my favorite authors are Dead. And I've read all their books. My Favorites are: Scott Spencer Confused (Waking the Dead), Douglas Adams Laughing (Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy), and J. R. R. Tolkien Shocked of Course, Lord of the Rings). The rest of the author's I have liked are F. Paul Wilson Cool (Legacies) and James Byron Huggins Evil or Very Mad (The Reckoning) but their writing quality has slumped the more famous they've gotten. The long and the short of it is: I'm out of books to read, does anyone have a suggestion? First off: Rolling Eyes I won't read anything with interior monologue or worse: flat out description of a character's thoughts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,172 • Replies: 33
No top replies

IVIr

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 10:57 pm
Oh For Crying Out Loud!
Just give me something? Is the litterary world really as bad off as I was thinking?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 06:58 am
Ursula K. LeGuin. Maybe.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:09 am
Maybe...
Hey thanks for the idea. I read an exerpt; it was interesting but a bit slow. I wil try it. But I'd also love more ideas from anyone.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:34 am
Umm. Everyone should read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Like, multiple times.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 05:01 pm
Boy You guys are boring.
I remember the golden age off message borading when everyone used to be so uptight and opinionated that you couldn't express yourself without recieving a million negative feedbacks and several post that would have to be deleted by the administrator.

Where's the opinions?! Come on talk to me.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 05:07 pm
Come on!!!!
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 02:50 pm
Try The Princess of Roumania
http://www.sfreviews.net/princessrou.html
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 03:11 pm
If you like endless amounts of detail, run-on sentences that go on for pages, and stories with no endings, you should try David Foster Wallace. He's great.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 03:26 pm
I usually recommend Redmond O'Hanlon to Douglas Adams fans; his "Into the Heart of Borneo" is great.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:19 pm
More!
I'm looking into "A Princess..." and Redmond O'Hanlon. To be honest though, I'm not into two much discription. So unfortunately I'll take Kickycan's message as a warning. Keep the recommendations coming in though, there's got to be more people who want to tell me what to do!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:27 pm
So, what is your gripe with description?
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:55 am
I love good description...
Good description, though, does not mean long description. I do not in any way wish to be bored by any word of any book I read. (Now, that's perfect, I'm never going to get perfect, but with some authors you can get close.) And since we are on a book message board if you'd like an example of beautiful description, you should check out: Scott Spencer's Waking the Dead.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:12 pm
Oh, Come on....
You guys are so bloody boring...
I'm going to finish my own novel before you guys recommend one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:22 pm
Boring? Perhaps.

A few of us are trying to figure out what could possibly please you.

I happen to like sparely worded but not spare in sense of time and place crime novels - no, not best sellers. Description is important in them as much as in other more effusively worded books. I am suspecting what you are looking for is a certain spareness, not total lack of description.

Alas, I'm not so inclined to help, given you are so ready to berate the few posters who do answer, and given your original post question is a demand.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:32 pm
Have you tried Terry Pratchett?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:24 am
Re: Oh, Come on....
IVIr wrote:
You guys are so bloody boring...
I'm going to finish my own novel before you guys recommend one.

Great, another "novel" writer. Now that's exciting.

Let me guess--your main character dies at the end.
0 Replies

jckhoa

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:03 pm
"Thorn birds" by Collin McCollough: love story of a woman and a catholic priest Laughing
Some ancient books I like :
- "Wuthering heights" by Emily Bronte: crazy, wild, thrilling love between man and a woman which influences their descendants.
- "Dracula" by Braham stoker: the title tells its content. I think "dracula" represents the capitalsm boss who suck its weaker persons to make money Confused
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:26 pm
quoting -

I do not in any way wish to be bored by any word of any book I read.

That's nice.

A lot of what I've read has initially repelled me, re my then point of view.

Most of the time I've held to that... but other times, the reading gives the mind food to bat around.

If you want all you read to fit all that you ask to read and only that, well, good luck re any eventual growing on your own part.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:40 pm
Re: More!
IVIr wrote:
I'm looking into "A Princess..." and Redmond O'Hanlon. To be honest though, I'm not into two much discription.

Douglas Adams has a ton of description in his books. Thing is, it's FUNNY description. Same with O'Hanlon.
0 Replies