Why are cell phones marketed in such an asinine way?

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:20 pm
Why does it seem that certain cell phones are only available from certain service providers? Why do they do this? Is it possible to just get a certain phone, and then get your service provider?

It makes it very hard to pick a good phone. I just looked at CNET's top ten cell phones, but what good is even looking at that if the phone you want is only offered by say, Cingular, for instance? What f*cking idiot decided to market phones this way?

Can anyone explain this to me?

Of course, I'm new to the whole cell phone world, so maybe I'm missing something. If so, I'd appreciate some schooling on the issue.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,276 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Miller

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:56 pm
My TracPhone turned out to be a big waste of money.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 06:45 pm
The carriers are the largest buyers at the wholesale level. The manufacturers would much rather build phones to custom specs for a carrier that is willing to buy 2 million of them than build generic phones to sell 10 of them to the local mom & pop store. As a result the carriers get to set the specs for the phones.

All of the carrier's networks aren't compatible with each other either. Cingular/AT&T uses different protocols than Sprint/Nextel does. To build phones that would work with all of the carriers they'd have to build the core of 4 or 5 phones into one unit - something everyone would pay for even though they'd never use the added compatibility.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:11 pm
Yep, that's what I found out tonight while I was out shoppin' for a new phone. I guess t-mobile and cingular use GSM technology, whatever that is, so I could get one of the cingular phones if I want.

Now my problem is that if I want to buy a new phone but not sign a contract, I have to pay somewhere between 4 and 8 times the price for the goddammed thing. It's all about hooking you into a long-term contract with these scumsucking pigs. It sickens me, but I might end up having to do what I never wanted to do, and sign up for a contract. Sons o' bitches!

Hey, Miller, what's a Tracphone?
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 01:00 pm
I know, there are some carriers that are known for having good phones and others that continously cripple cool features on phones. Verizon is notorious for crippling phones imo.
0 Replies