Idiocy in Texas. I may have to move.

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:19 am
Parent criticizes book 'Fahrenheit 451'

Quote:
A Caney Creek High School dad is fired up because the Conroe Independent School District uses the book "Fahrenheit 451" as classroom reading material.

"It's just all kinds of filth," said Alton Verm, adding that he had not read "Fahrenheit 451." "The words don't need to be brought out in class. I want to get the book taken out of the class."

He looked through the book and found the following things wrong with the book: discussion of being drunk, smoking cigarettes, violence, "dirty talk," references to the Bible and using God's name in vain. He said the book's material goes against their religions beliefs.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,002 • Replies: 22
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:24 am
You only just figured that out?!

My in-laws live in Texas -- I've gone to visit 3-4 times. Creeps me out everytime.

I know that Austin is a pocket of relative sanity, but...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:26 am
But... but... there's no snow! No slush! No salt on the roads, although the sand ( Rolling Eyes ) they use instead does get annoying.

Snow is fine, as long as it is neatly confined to the ski slope. But live in the stuff? C'mon...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:31 am
Come to Columbus, then!!

We've had maybe two weeks of snow days per winter here. It's definitely not at "living in the stuff" levels (though it sounds like even in Minneapolis there isn't nearly as much as when I was growing up...)

People are friendly and don't drive like total maniacs and it's a college town and pretty liberal... and I'd so love to introduce sozlet to Ya-ya and Keetah!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:44 am
Ohio (Come Back to Texas)

She said she needed a break
a little time to think
but then she went to Cleveland
with some guy named Leelan
that she met at the bank

There's nothing wrong with Ohio
except the snow and the rain

I really like Drew Carey
and I'd love to see the Rock n' Rock Hall of Fame

So when your done doing whatever
and when your thru doing whooever
you know Denton County will be right here waiting for you....

Come back to Texas
Its just not the same since you went away
Before you lose your accent
and forget all about the Lonestar State
Theres a seat for you at the rodeo
and I've got every slow dance saved
Besides the Mexican food sux north of here anyway

I think I made a mistake
Its not that easy to take
She went to make a deposit
then she cleaned out her closet
Guess I'll sit here and wait

For her to come back home (I'd wish you come back home)
it shudnt take very long (so long so long)
i bet she misses the sunrise
and misses the fruit flies but i could be wrong

So when your done doing whatever
and when your thru doing whooever
you know Denton County will be right here waiting for you....

Come back to Texas
I bet you missed your exit
and drove right on thru the Lone Star State

Troy Aikmen wants you back
Willie Nelson wants you back
NASA wants you back
and the Bush twins want you back
and Pantera wants you back
and Blue Bell wants you back

I got a premonition
I'm taking a petition
and the whole state's gonna sign

Come back to Texas
and forget all about the Lone Star State

Come back to Texas
and forget all about the Lone Star State

I'm certain that Yaya and Keetah would love Sozlet.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:50 am
And you're right. Austin is an island of sanity down here. I credit the education level.

T belongs to a Moms Club... Something like four of the six women in her playgroup have advanced degrees.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:53 am
That's Cleveland! It's much more northerly.

And I'm certain sozlet would love Ya-ya and Keetah.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:55 am
Aw phooey. I can tell my recruitment efforts won't go anywhere.

Hey Shewolf! Columbus has affordable housing and some fabulous schools!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 08:20 am
Atlanta! The weather's like Texas -- kind of, and you're half a days drive from some beautiful beaches. And housing isn't too bad and the schools are pretty good.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:23 am
Hotlanta? You're lying about the weather the same way the Olympic committee did...

Forget all that, come to the west coast, it's the place to be.... Two straight months now of picture-perfect weather.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:31 am
Oh, yeah, I so agree with Cycloptichorn...
takes a bit of money now.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 10:15 am
Want to leave Texas? Well consider New Mexico. The climate varies enough that you can pretty much pick your climate, so long as you can stand not living under an umbrella. There may be better climates in the world, after all its hard to beat the climate of coastal Southern California, but not many. Here in Albuquerque we get enough snow to appreciate both having it and not having it. This year has been exceptionally wet, and the Rio Grande has enough water to deter west bank liberals (Bumblebee, Butterfly, Ossbusco, Diane and Dyslexia) swimming over here to pollute the east side where the conservatives congregate. Laughing

New Mexico is still mostly a rural State and one doesn't have to look hard to find traces of our history going back to the 17th century. Most of the towns are picturesque and small to medium sized. The land and the sky predominates every vista, and here those are both magnificent. The air is clean, and you can see the stars. Distances here aren't quite so overwhelming as in Texas, but they are long enough that no one is likely to crowd you too much. The State's population is heavily Native American, with perhaps a slightly larger number of Hispanics (many of whose families have been here since the 17th century. The Anglo-American population tends to dominate and is the third primary ethnic group. We are a rich multicultural soup here that makes life a fascinating mosaic.

Both the wages and cost of living are low here. Housing values are superb. I couldn't afford to live in Corazon if it were located in California. There isn't the same sort of career opportunities in New Mexico that one might find in other places, but the pace of living is also more human. On the other hand, you can't walk down the streets of Albuquerque without stumbling over a half dozen nuclear scientists and physicists. Albuquerque is an USAF garrison town and we also have more retired O-4 and above per square foot than most places west of the Mississippi. The State tends toward the Democratic Party, but there is a strong counter current of conservatism.

The state has only three large interstate highways. I-10 crosses the State from southern Arizona to El Paso (a border town that we should probably annex), and I -40 that runs from Indian Country through Albuquerque to Texas, are latitudinal. I-25, running North to South, goes from Colorado to Santa Fe, Albuquerque and follows the Rio Grande down to Las Cruces and El Paso. Just a few miles off of those corridors, you can find solitude, and silence.

Here, in Albuquerque, we have access to all the primary shopping one would find in any metropolitan area of about 1,000,000 people. We have a great University and a thriving arts community. Albuquerque continues to grow, but most of the growth these days is over on the west bank. I'm continually surprised that the I-40 and I-25 aren't completely blocked by foreigners trying to immigrate here.

Want to leave ... where ever? Think New Mexico, The Land of Enchantment.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 04:41 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Hotlanta? You're lying about the weather the same way the Olympic committee did...

Forget all that, come to the west coast, it's the place to be.... Two straight months now of picture-perfect weather.

Cycloptichorn

When did you move from Austin?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 04:43 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Atlanta! The weather's like Texas -- kind of, and you're half a days drive from some beautiful beaches. And housing isn't too bad and the schools are pretty good.

We've got all that here.

Sadly, the nutcases are included.

Now if you have a way to keep the nutcases out.....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 04:51 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

When did you move from Austin?

August 1st, 2006. I miss it, but Berkeley sure doesn't suck either.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 04:51 pm
I'm hoping Friedman wins the election. Not that I like him, but I like the idea of our Governor being named "Kinky."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:46 am
DrewDad wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

We've got all that here.

Sadly, the nutcases are included.

Now if you have a way to keep the nutcases out.....

Well, we have a few nutcases. A woman as we speak is trying to keep Harry Potter out of Dakalb county schools. But by and large, inside the city, there are a lot fewer nutcases and a lot more progressives, IMO.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:59 am
I just saw my first Hummer on TV last night (in a doco about the Bush administrations cover up and silencing global warming research).

I cannot believe people want to drive such things outside of a riot zone.

They are obscene!

What is it, eight/12 miles to the gallon?

And Texas, I gather, is full of them?

Get out of there DD, before something awful happens!

They ARE mad!!!

Why is Austin different, do you think?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:01 am
dlowan wrote:

It's the capital
It has attracted artists of many forms
It has a large university and a bunch of colleges
It's more gay friendly than many cities
It's in a geographically pretty area (well, mostly)
It's conducive to boating, hiking, biking, climbing etc.
Good health care system (meaning the hospital system)
Good jobs available
Technologically savy
People are friendly (I've had visitors from other places shocked that strangers will smile and converse with them)
Large park (Zilker) and many smaller parks
Maria's House of Tacos
Leslie Cochran
Minor league hockey team - the Ice Bats.....
oh yeah, we have BATS!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 01:46 pm
dlowan wrote:

Haven't you heard of the global plot to brainwash college students into being Democrats?

We have lots of institutes of higher learning, here, and we additionally brainwash 'em into liking Austin.

Hummers are ridiculous. Over compensation, ya know.
0 Replies