New Acronym Game

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 03:15 pm
I am not trying here to upstage the Acronym Game. I wouldn't dream of such a thing. I love it. It has given me many hours of pleasure and distraction and I have met some fun people. I will continue there as before.

I thought a useful version, which might add to the general entertainment, might be for us to choose our own word. I thought of making a rule that it should be 10 letters or more but who am I to tell anybody what to do least of all my friends.

This will enable us to ponder longer and thus avoid those rushes to beat the pip. I had a beauty yesterday for PERNICIOUS and it is now lost as I was pipped.

They can thus be worked on all day or even longer and honed. But not when driving or engaging in any activity requiring concentration.

As Clary is the best with the risibilty factor ( a prime concern) I nominate her to begin. If she approves it has to be good.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,012 • Replies: 12
No top replies

rhymer

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:49 pm
On the assumption that Clary is indisposed, can I kick off your wonderful idea and take ENTERTAINMENT as the starting point?

That word happened to be underlined in your post.

Easy, natural therapies enable reduced tensions and increased neurological merriment, especially naughty titillation!

If Clary or yourself object, then I accept totally that you may start over and ignore this post.

I would choose neurological as the next word, but it seems to me that we will end up with many new words mixed up within the one board as members each try to submit their own acronym for previously chosen words!
Perhaps the new word from the last acronym that was posted and not responded to within two (or more?) days should be adopted for the next acronym?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 03:42 am
PERNICIOUS

Practicing extremely respectful niceties in Clary's involves offering unrestrained sensationalities.

*Thanks rhymer. I had in mind any word. There are numerous advantages.

I hope you are aware that I didn't underline "entertainment". It is for advertising purposes which I'm all in favour of if it adds to A2K's welfare.

One often comes across neat phrases when reading, especially with authors like Joyce. "gumchewed gristle", "unfructfied duennas", "Emperor's chief tailtickler" are examples and with a thesaurus to hand it is possible to construct the start word and hopefully provide fellow nutcases with a laugh or, at worst, a wintry smile.

It is the time factor really. I had "overdoing" in my first effort and racing to beat the pip I might have gone with it but a bit of study produced "offering" which I thought better.

What do you think?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 03:55 am
The way Rhymer does his acronym is a more likable one, as the definition is related to the word.

Cannot see where your definition, Spendius, is related to pernicious.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 03:58 am
Lack of experience Francis I'm afraid.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:02 am
Ok, Spendi, we are here to practice Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:13 am
Try taking the "ggudect" from my three examples of neat phrases. Add a letter or two. Anagram them and see if the Empress's chief tail tickler can be made to fructify the duenna with a bit of gristle gumchewing.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:21 am
A sub plot could be to try to make the ladies a bit indignant which, of course, grants them permission to return the compliment. Mixed in with some base flattery as well. Keep 'em guessing.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:22 am
Evolve!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:20 am
spendius wrote:
Try taking the "ggudect" from my three examples of neat phrases. Add a letter or two. Anagram them and see if the Empress's chief tail tickler can be made to fructify the duenna with a bit of gristle gumchewing.

That can be done but not knowing what the "ggudect" is, I'm not going to try.

As I know some duenas, I think their indignation will fructify by being named such.

(Dowagers use evolving names around, Spendi.)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:01 am
AGGREGATE.

A girlish gaggle raided establishment grabbing all tail-ticklers eagerly.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 04:56 pm
APHRODITE.

A particularly horrible rodent offered Denise initial trial expenses.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 05:40 pm
METHINKS.

Mary engaged Terry's higher interests near knicker shop.
0 Replies