Neil Young is an unrecognized genius.

aidan

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 03:56 pm
You know, everyone goes on and on about Bob Dylan. And I love Dylan - truth be told, but I have to say that all this praise about his new album is kind of like the Emporer's New Clothes. I like it - I really do - especially the last song that is kind of melancholy and in a more minor key - but truthfully every song, though I like it initially, I feel it goes on just a little too long. Does anyone else feel this way?

I've been listening to Neil Young tonight. The records, "Comes a Time" and "Rust Never Sleeps", specifically. Neil Young is a genius as a lyricist and musician. I think he deserves his own thread. So, I'll start it: This is from the album, "Rust Never Sleeps". I went to see him on this tour at William and Mary when I was at college in NC and I remember this is the first concert I left that my ears were ringing for two days- I was afraid my hearing would never be the same.

Thrasher

They were hiding behind hay bales,
They were planting
in the full moon
They had given all they had
for something new
But the light of day was on them,
They could see the thrashers coming
And the water
shone like diamonds in the dew.

And I was just getting up,
hit the road before it's light
Trying to catch an hour on the sun
When I saw
those thrashers rolling by,
Looking more than two lanes wide
I was feelin'
like my day had just begun.

Where the eagle glides ascending
There's an ancient river bending
Down the timeless gorge of changes
Where sleeplessness awaits
I searched out my companions,
Who were lost in crystal canyons
When the aimless blade of science
Slashed the pearly gates.

It was then I knew I'd had enough,
Burned my credit card for fuel
Headed out to where the pavement
turns to sand
With a one-way ticket
to the land of truth
And my suitcase in my hand
How I lost my friends
I still don't understand.

They had the best selection,
They were poisoned with protection
There was nothing that they needed,
Nothing left to find
They were lost in rock formations
Or became park bench mutations
On the sidewalks
and in the stations
They were waiting, waiting.

So I got bored and left them there,
They were just deadweight to me
Better down the road
without that load
Brings back the time
when I was eight or nine
I was watchin' my mama's T.V.,
It was that great
Grand Canyon rescue episode.

Where the vulture glides descending
On an asphalt highway bending
Thru libraries and museums,
galaxies and stars
Down the windy halls of friendship
To the rose clipped by the bullwhip
The motel of lost companions
Waits with heated pool and bar.

But me I'm not stopping there,
Got my own row left to hoe
Just another line
in the field of time
When the thrasher comes,
I'll be stuck in the sun
Like the dinosaurs in shrines
But I'll know the time has come
To give what's mine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 7,740 • Replies: 48
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:54 pm
Here's some major talent...

http://www.lisa-und-georg.de/mediac/400_0/media/Bob~Dylan$2C~Neil~Young$2C~Eric~Clapton.jpg

I've actually met two of the three. Never met Clapton.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:57 pm
He isn't unrecognized by everyone.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:03 pm
Quote:
The records, "Comes a Time" and "Rust Never Sleeps", specifically. Neil Young is a genius as a lyricist and musician.

These albums certainly rate in my all time greats
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:10 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

http://www.lisa-und-georg.de/mediac/400_0/media/Bob~Dylan$2C~Neil~Young$2C~Eric~Clapton.jpg

For several years most of my brain matter contained nothing but the art and music of these three.

Joe(I've never met any of them.)Nation
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:11 pm
Not unrecognized at all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:11 pm
Don't try to peddle this line in Canadia . . . to the Canadians, Young is God.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:22 pm
Another - unrecognized??
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:25 pm
Confused I don't know anyone who doesn't recognize his genius....who have you been talkin' to A.?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:30 pm
I'm glad to hear that he's not unrecognized. Sometimes I feel like he's just considered to be kind of a "Dylan-lite" or something. I guess though that a lot of Dylan's peers must feel that way - because he's been put up on such a pedestal- and I'm not blaming that on him -he probably hates all the hype too. He is amazing-though I don't think this last record cuts it as one of his masterpieces. It's pleasant and I like the lyrics, but it just doesn't have the musical edge I associate with his better stuff. It sounds more contemplative to me - which makes sense, at this stage in his life. I was talking to someone about the comparison between Neil Young's earlier stuff and Dylan's last record and they said I should compare Dylan's later stuff to Neil Young's later stuff- to make the comparison fair. I haven't bought Neil's latest - I read one review that said it sucked and another that gave it five stars. Has anyone heard it? I guess I should listen for myself.

Gus - I can't believe you've met both Bob Dylan and Neil Young. (I mean, I believe you did - but wow- how'd you manage that?). I was thinking the other day - that's part of the reason I'm holding out for the idea of heaven or an afterlife - heaven for me will be sitting around singing with those guys (and Springsteen) and listening to them play.
(I've met John Hiatt - another sadly underrated singer/songwriter- and I met Rick Danko before he died- those are my two big claims to fame).
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:10 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Confused I don't know anyone who doesn't recognize his genius....who have you been talkin' to A.?

These day, most of the people I talk to on a daily basis are not North Americans. And it seems that a lot of people outside of North America (or at least US and Canada- I can't speak for Mexico) don't know who Neil Young is. Whereas you say Bob Dylan - and everyone has at least some idea who you're talking about. Maybe that's what's given me the impression. Although he seems to be known and well-loved in Australia, or at least by the Australians on this forum.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 09:47 am
There are lots of Neil Young threads here. But Neil doesn't have to be propped up by criticizing Dylan. Dylan is one of kind and beyond a genius. His songs are long because he has got a lot to say.

Neil Young's Prarie Wind, his last CD, was also well-received. His movie introducing the songs at The Ryman was excellent as well. The film Heart of Gold is currently availbale on Video On Demand.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 09:50 am
They're both overrated bleaters.

How's that?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:02 am
patiodog wrote:

How's that?

Bad dog! Go to your box.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:08 am
patiodog wrote:

How's that?

Heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

I'm with ya on that one, Dawg, especially that clown Bob Zimmerman . . .
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:16 am
Roxxanne - I didn't see a Neil Young thread - but I didn't do a very thorough search.

I'm a big Dylan fan. I think my first post on this forum was my top ten favorite albums of all time - and if I remember correctly, two of them involved him. I do think he's amazing- especially as a writer. I just think his reputation overshadows that of some of his also very amazing peers.
So you'd recommend Prairie Wind? The reviews I read were in British newspapers - one loved it - the other one totally panned it- so like I said, I should just listen to it myself.

Patiodog- I know a lot of people who agree with you about Dylan and Young - primarily due to their unconventional, kind of nasaly voices. I think they're both better writers and stylists than singers- their voices have been an acquired taste for me - I usually like more mellow baritone male singing voices. I got past that initial dislike though because I loved their songs and what they had to say. I think Jakob Dylan, on the other hand, has an amazing voice. What are the Wallflowers doing these days - anything? I'm kind of out of touch...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 02:15 pm
patiodog wrote:

How's that?

You know who really bleats?

Stevie Nicks

She sounds like sheep dying.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 02:36 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

When you call this "meeting him" ...

http://i9.tinypic.com/2aa0t4w.jpg

... I did, recently :wink:
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 04:08 pm
Actually, I don't really dislike either of them, and I've got a few (old) Dylan albums. Definitely think they're both greater in renown than achievement, though.

Tiny Tim and Boxcar Wille -- now there are two underrecognized geniuses.

(Saw the Wallflowers against my will here a couple of years ago. Boring show except for the bit where he brought some geeky zitty kid up on stage to sing a song and the kid nailed it. The only memorbale moment in the show.)
0 Replies

imnidiot

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 06:58 pm
I've met Neil several times in York Pa. at a semi-annual train show. He's a big train collector and part owner of Lionel Trains. His genius extends beyond his music, as he is responsible for bringing remote control to electric toy trains, because his son is handicapped, and he wanted to make the hobbie accessible to those with disabilities. He's easy to talk to, and very down to earth as is his music. I'll be going to York in October, and hopefully, he'll be there. Let me know if any of you have any comments or thoughts you'd like to share, and I'll send them along.
0 Replies