Namaste, I'm learning Hindi!

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 12:09 am
shukriya, paraover,
i am learning because i work in india quite a bit, and will be getting married to a keralite in july. we don't know yet where we'll anchor the ship, but it seems i'll be spending quite a bit of my lifetime over there.

i can't translate all of that yet. i would try, but it's 2am, and i had a looong week.
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 07:04 am
Aapki shaadi par meri shubhkaamnaaye. Smile
My best wishes for your wedding. Smile

There is no hurry for you to translate all of that right now. You can take your time...and we are all here to help you out. Just let us know where exactly do you need help.

You will find Kerala to be truly God's Own Country. But don't you think that if you are going to marry a Keralite, you should be learning Malayalam as well?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 07:37 am
Hmm to khoob baatein chal rahin hain yahaan... Smile

Hmm, lots of talking going on in here. Smile
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 11:07 am
i finally got my hindi book and am learning the devanagari script.

i can write ap, and yah, and even ka and ki... oh, and ha. and nahi.
i hate how vowels get in the way - 'a' will go behind things, but short 'i' in front of things and 'u' under things. why can't you people just write nicely in a row, one letter after another and hide them up and down, left and right instead....grrrrr

but i am happy to find out that it is essentially just a different alphabet, thus logically understandable and not like chinese, where you have to memorize character for each word... i think i'll get it soon enough.
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 02:03 am
Thats great news!!! Very Happy

Keep plodding, you will soon get the hang of it. More important than actually learning a language is the desire to learn it.
I remember as a kid when I first learnt my Hindi script, there were more than 80% spelling mistakes. Later on, I had topped my class in Hindi.

Apart from the book it would be advisable if you actually meet somebody who knows Hindi. That would hasten the process.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 06:39 am
Devnagari script looks difficult in the beginning. But once you get thru it, you will be able to read (not understand though) atleast 3 other Indian Langauges ... Sanskrit, Marathi & Sindhi. Because part from Hindi ONLY these 3 Indian langauges use devnagari script in writing.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 04:41 pm
shaking head.... only 3 other languages? and there are, how many, 19 official languages in India? Tsk tsk,you could not have complicated things more, could you... sigh.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:41 pm
Yeah, Vinsan's right.

Unfortunately, Dag, you won't be able to read any of the south indian languages - the script doesn't look anything like devnagari.

And you seem to doing really wellll...learning the script. Wah. Yes, the vowels get in the way - but they get in the way of all consonants in the same way - right?

(((hugss)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 01:42 am
Go dag go !!

And kick out that bloke from yr house and look for an Indian one...
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 07:10 am
dagmaraka wrote:
shaking head.... only 3 other languages? and there are, how many, 19 official languages in India? Tsk tsk,you could not have complicated things more, could you... sigh.

Hey there's no need to worry about those languages now, coz once you have mastered Hindi, you will automatically be able to figure out some of their words on your own. And the Holy Grail is, of course, to make sense of Sanskrit - the mother of most North Indian languages (but all these later... perfect your Hindi first)
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:54 am
Sanskrit is a mother of ALL languages, including South Indian Languages too.

A Village in South India (in Karnataka) has Sanskrit as their native language!

BTW

HAPPY DIWALI
to all my A2K Friends
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 11:59 pm
Can I get a check on this translation?

Quote:

Yaad Kiya Dil Ne Kaha wo tum

As far as I can tell, there's memory, heart, loss, and you and the question thingy (kya)... so I presume it's a question. Something like "Has your heart forgotten?" Is that correct?
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 10:45 am
It means: my heart is remembering you, where are you. Basically saying I miss you.

Good logic, though, dagmaraka.

(That is the first line of an old Hindi song though....

Yaad kiya dil ne, kahan ho tum?
Jhoomti bahaar hai, kahan ho tum?
Pyaar se pukar lo, jahan ho tum....
Pyaar se pukar lo, jahan ho tum.

Second line is harder to literally translate. But it says something along the lines of: The season/weather is beautiful, where are you?

Call me, sweetly or lovingly, from wherever you are.)

I love this song, it has a beautiful melody.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 12:30 pm
Oy, that's intense.

Thanks, heatwave.

Do you know what the song is called and who sings it?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 12:40 pm
Oooh, found it. From movie Patita (1953).

One can listen to it online here: http://www.dishant.com/sharemailsong.php?songid=13028&sender=dagmar&guestname=dag (i think).
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 08:25 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Oy, that's intense.

Thanks, heatwave.

Do you know what the song is called and who sings it?

I think its Talat mehmood and Lata mangeshkar. Correct me if m wrong!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 08:43 am
Oh I don't know, I just know that that's what my ex boyfriend wrote to me...not directly, it was in the signature line in email, but I know it was to me. I can't stop listening to it since. But I also musn't fall for it. Sigh, it's almost like a blackmail.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 02:29 pm
How very romantic, dagmaraka. Maybe you could just enjoy the feeling of being loved/wanted and ignore the blackmail/pressure part...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 02:53 pm
I'm trying.... but it comes with feelings of guilt. Though I only did was best for both of us... such is life, sigh.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 11:04 pm
Dag, that's a lovely song Smile

Vinsan: I think it's Hemant Kumar and Latha M.
0 Replies