But, I would need to find his papers right? Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,239 • Replies: 17
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:49 am
That works in Italy but I don't know about France. Check with their consulate, maybe.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:52 am
Re: French Citizenship
el_pohl wrote:
I wonder... If my grand grandfather was french, can I be french too? Razz

But, I would need to find his papers right? Crying or Very sad

I don't think so. France is a ius solis country, not a ius sanguinis country. If you weren't born in France, and if your parents didn't hold French passports, your chances are slim.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:01 am
In short: France has a combination of ius sanguines and ius sol.

In your case, it would be ius sanguines ... but at least one parent must be French ... and not one grandfather :wink:

A bit more official: French nationality
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:01 am
Re: French Citizenship
Thomas wrote:
I don't think so. France is a ius solis country, not a ius sanguinis country.

No :wink:
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:05 am
Wow! My hopes lasted less than 30 minutes haha. Thanks for the info though. Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:16 am
Sorry, el_pohl...

Walter is right. France is both ius solis and ius sanguinis.

1. L'attribution de la nationalité française :

par filiation (droit du sang) :
Est Français l'enfant, légitime ou naturel dont l'un des parents au moins est Français.

La filiation adoptive ne produit d'effet en matière d'attribution de la nationalité française que si l'adoption est plénière.

Par ailleurs, la filiation de l'enfant n'a d'effet sur la nationalité de celui-ci que si elle est établie durant sa minorité.

par la naissance en France (droit du sol) :
Est Français l'enfant, légitime ou naturel, né en France lorsque l'un de ses parents au moins y est lui-même né.

La simple naissance en France ne vaut attribution de la nationalité française que pour l'enfant né de parents inconnus ou apatrides, ou de parents étrangers qui ne lui transmettent pas leur nationalité.

L'enfant né en France avant le ler janvier 1994, d'un parent né sur un ancien territoire français d'outre-mer avant son accession à l'indépendance, est Français de plein droit. Il en est de même de l'enfant né en France après le ler janvier 1963, d'un parent né en Algérie avant le 3 juillet 1962.

This means you are not French if at least one of your parents is not French.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:25 am
Francis wrote:
Walter is right.

He always is. And he always posts a second after I venture a shoot-from-the-hip post. I hate him! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:27 am
Thomas wrote:
Francis wrote:
Walter is right.

He always is. And he always posts a second after I venture a shoot-from-the-hip post. What a bastard! Twisted Evil

Hoch auf dem gelben Wagen ... to recall the famous guideline of the F.D.P. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:28 am
[Or was it Blau-Gleb ist die Haslenuß?]
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:29 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
[Or was it Blau-Gleb ist die Haslenuß?]

Surely it was: "Die Gedanken sind frei, wer kann sie erraten ..."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:36 am
That's a more serious response ... and true. :wink:

Serious as well: back in the 70's I was examined (in Internatioal and Constitutional Law, by Ingo v. Münch) about nationalty, citizenship etc and wrote a longer homework about that as well. Some parts still are on my "hard disk".
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:50 am
Francis wrote:
Est Français l'enfant, légitime ou naturel, né en France lorsque l'un de ses parents au moins y est lui-même né.

Maybe my French is a little rusty, but I read that as saying that an infant is French if it is "born in France while at least one of his parents is born there." So if the parent is born in France but is not a French citizen (because his or her own parents weren't French), the child can nevertheless become a French citizen by being born in France? That seems like an odd result, but the law appears to be drafted to achieve that result (otherwise the law would read "Est Français l'enfant, légitime ou naturel, né en France lorsque l'un de ses parents au moins est Français"). Am I reading that correctly?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:19 pm
Article 21-7 of the civil code
" Every child been born in France of foreign relatives*parents* acquires French nationality with his majority if, in this date, he has in France his place of residence and if he had his usual place of residence in France during a continuous or intermittent period of at least five years, since the age of eleven years. "

Article 21-11 of the civil code
" The minor child been born in France of foreign relatives*parents* can from the age of sixteen years demand French nationality by statement, if, at the time of the statement, he has in France his place of residence and if he had his usual place of residence in France during a continuous or intermittent period of at least five years, since the age of eleven years. "
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:41 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Francis wrote:

Maybe my French is a little rusty, but I read that as saying that an infant is French if it is "born in France while at least one of his parents is born there." So if the parent is born in France but is not a French citizen (because his or her own parents weren't French), the child can nevertheless become a French citizen by being born in France? That seems like an odd result, but the law appears to be drafted to achieve that result (otherwise the law would read "Est Français l'enfant, légitime ou naturel, né en France lorsque l'un de ses parents au moins est Français"). Am I reading that correctly?

Yes, Joe, you are reading that correctly.

As you can read in Walter's post, any person born in France, is French if he/she lives in France by the time of his/her majority and have been living there...
Era

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:13 am
That's not about this subject but i'm french and i look for french people who speak very good english to help me to improve my english .
0 Replies

sguzik

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 12:24 pm
@Francis,
Is there a stipulation for age? See my mother was born and raised until age 18 in France married my American father (in France) and moved to the US. She let her French Passport and French ID card expire. She is now pursuing to renew these documents. After this is completed am I (now age 36) and born in the US able to apply for French Citizenship? What about my child who was born here and is now two years old?
Francis

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 11:32 am
@sguzik,
Well, you could apply for French nationality.

French laws stipulate that is French a person that one parent at least is French.

I assume your mother didn't renounce to the French nationality (gave up by declaration), so she is still French.

The fact that her passport and ID card expired has no effect on her nationality.

After some procedures, you could get the French nationality and, by the very same article cited above, your own child would become French.

0 Replies