Men who read: sexy or nerdy?

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:57 am
Ah, yes, the hope that being seen reading a book will turn on the chicks. How clever and original, kicky!

Let's all suggest some titles that will help his chances. "The Bridges of Madison County"--proves you're a sensitive guy...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:45 am
<gag, choke>

HATE that book. ("Bridges.")

Kicky, all of those would get me talking. I haven't read that Elmore Leonard book, but like him. So that would be what I'd say, probably, "I haven't read any Elmore Leonard in a while, does he still have it?"

"Metamorphosis" is certainly a classsic, so much so that I'd be a little suspicious -- could be someone just trying to look deep.

I read "Zen and the art..." as a teenager and it made a huge impression on me, had a lot to do with my serious interest in Zen Buddhism. Would be a lot to talk about there. And that was a specific book that I found sexy when my college-age philosophy teacher leant it to me -- did I ever have a crush on him.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:49 am
Yeah, Metamorphosis is a classic, but it kinda freaked me out.

As long as it's not "Sexual Positions for Dummies," I think you'll be fine.

So... is it a turn-on to see a woman reading a book? Or do you think she'll be a bluestocking know-it-all?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:59 am
One of my best sexual encounters was on a stack a books in the NYU library. Books are definitely sexy and a great way to start a conversation. Read on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:01 pm
Some people, instead, break their noses in libraries...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:03 pm
Who gives a rat's ass. You've got a book. If she doesn't dig a guy who goes around with a book, she's not going to dig you.

May as well get it out of the way right off the bat.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:04 pm
sexy OR nerdy?

since when is nerdy not sexy? well, not always, but hey. they ain't mutually exclusive.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:11 pm
kickycan wrote:
Before that it was "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," a classic novel with a strong focus on a deep philosophical approach to life.

Any good? (Yes, sozobe, I read what you said....)
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:14 pm
At least initially, it's usually about pheromones for me, so the book might get some chitchat if I were feeling outgoing and was attracted in the first place. "What are you reading?" could easily tumble out my lips. Conversely, I can't imagine asking the construction worker "Oooh, what's that tool for?" (Bats her lashes)… (well, maybe I can imagine it but I doubt I would say it to a stranger).

Pdog's got it right, though.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:16 pm
I am going to go get a tool belt, though. Just so chicks know I'm good with my hands.

Or maybe I'll walk around juggling, instead! Jugglers are great with their hands! I'll be a chick magnet...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:23 pm
I stopped dating a guy several years ago because he DIDN'T read. He actually said, "I don't get into reading much." Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:24 pm
I suspect Kicky was reading one of them Louise L'Amoure roamce novels. Most guys would be considered tools for reading them.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:25 pm
Better by far than books are:

1) a cute dog;

2) a cute kid.

kicky, I suggest you get one of those, pronto. You'll have to fend off the women with a stick. No lie!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:26 pm
With the Kafka cover artfully glued on.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:41 pm
I've only read Kafka's the trial.
I have heard plenty about Zen and the art of... But never read it.
And that Elminor fella doesn't ring any bells 4 me.

I usually have a book closeby me when I move about, but not exactly with the intention to be a chick magnet.
Here's my suggestion to show her you are a) good with your hands b) original and c) read books.

Just walk by her and snatch her wallet from her purse and exchange it with a nice roman. Then, before talking to her again, rifle through her wallet to see if she is good enough for you of course. If satisfied, adress her again, present her with her wallet while saying something like : "Is that my book in your purse, or are you jst glad to see me?" Or something equally corny.

Now, the problem comes with the secret d) make her to like you part, because changes are, you'll just get her fist in your gut while she calls for the cops and screams about being mugged.

Oh my god, I think my IQ dropped 12 points while writing this post, and is now officially at -3.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 01:38 pm
A man always goes up a notch (or two) in my estimation when I see him reading a book in public....not a magazine, not a newspaper...an honest to god book.

I always try to have a book with me when I know I'm going to have to be somewhere for a while. I wonder about someone who's sitting near me, that knew he had to wait just as long, and he'll just sit there staring into space.

I think being seen reading a book, any book, is nothing but good.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 02:54 pm
patiodog wrote:

Or maybe I'll walk around juggling, instead! Jugglers are great with their hands! I'll be a chick magnet...

Jugglers have to spend too much time focusing on their balls.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 03:16 pm
DrewDad wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Before that it was "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," a classic novel with a strong focus on a deep philosophical approach to life.

Any good? (Yes, sozobe, I read what you said....)

I really liked it, although there were some very deep philosophical parts that I had to either read about five times to get, or just give up and gloss over, which I did do at certain points. Overall though, it was very very good, and I may go back at some point and give those difficult sections another look.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 03:18 pm
Goddam youre really shallow. Your next thread should be "How can I feign sincerity?"
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 03:21 pm
Didn't I do that one already?

And by the way, I am highly offended at your filthy language.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 01:27:11