Men who read: sexy or nerdy?

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:14 am
I went to a concert last night, and I was talking with my buddy about the fact that I was probably the only person there with a paperback novel in my back pocket. In fact, I'd bet that there aren't more than a hundred other guys in the whole city of New York that walk around with a book in their back pocket all the time.

What do you think? In general, is a guy who reads perceived as a weakling, a loser, a nerd? I am pretty sure that if you put a guy wearing a tool belt up against a guy with a book in his back pocket, women are going to be way more likely to drool over the tool belt guy, but I just wanted to know if the reading thing is an automatic turn-off, or just a little less interesting than the rugged, tool-swinging dude.

So ladies, when you're walking behind a guy on the street and you see a book sticking out of his back pocket, do you think "geek" or do you think, "I gotta get me a piece o' that?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,014 • Replies: 59
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:15 am
You should read about tools....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:17 am
Sexiest part of a man is his brain.

Depends on what you're reading, of course.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:18 am
Sexy, totally. The first few conversations I had with E.G. were about books. (He started the first one based on a T-shirt I had on featuring an obscure author he'd actually read.) Gives a great opening line if a specific book is spotted, too -- "hey I read that, what do you think of it?"
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:20 am
Better yet, slip that book into your toolbelt.

Now THAT would be sexy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:26 am
Being a woman who has spent a lot of time with a book in her purse, I'd notice the book guy first, though wouldn't always rule out a tool guy. A book guy probably has curiosity, a quality I'm in favor of. Depending on the book he carries.. preferably not the same one year in and year out.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:28 am
I read a book once.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:38 am
Did it work?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:42 am
It isn't the tool belt but the implication that the man is good with his hands that makes a tool belt sexy. And, of course, there is the added bonus that he can do home repairs.

Same with books. If he's carrying a current bestselller paperback it isn't so interesting but if he is carrying a book that looks a little challenging, it is very interesting and sexy.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:49 am
Hmmmm...so it seems that since it matters which book it is, the chances are better for the tool guy. I mean, what are the chances that I'm reading that certain book that a specific woman is going to be interested in? But with the tool guy, I'm guessing any tool will do.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:01 am
kickycan wrote:
Hmmmm...so it seems that since it matters which book it is, the chances are better for the tool guy. I mean, what are the chances that I'm reading that certain book that a specific woman is going to be interested in? But with the tool guy, I'm guessing any tool will do.

It IS nerdy to worry about whether a book is sexy, though.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:03 am
Reminds me of a female friend that was in T's graduate program. This was in Lubbock, TX, not a place renouned for liberality, feminism, or intellectual encouragement.

She was sitting in Barnes and Noble, sipping coffee and reading, when a cute guy came up and asked what she was reading.

She showed him the title, a philosophical treatise, and he just deflated and said, "Oh."

She said it broke her heart to watch him walk away....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:05 am
dlowan wrote:

Yes, but is it sexy to be nerdy? Oooh, that's deep.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:12 am
kickycan wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Yes, but is it sexy to be nerdy? Oooh, that's deep.

You're gonna disappear up your own bum one day.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:16 am
I would say that depends on the book.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:19 am
Also depends on the toolguy..
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:29 am
...and the size of his tool....
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:19 am
Sweet Thistle Kicky, I don't think your sex appeal is in question.

But can you tell us the title or at least subject matter of the book? Then we can give you a thumbs up or down as to its appeal.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:39 am
Well, it's always different. Currently it's a fun, shoot-em-up Elmore Leonard novel called "The Hot Kid."

Before that it was "The Metamophosis" by Franz Kafka.

Before that it was "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," a classic novel with a strong focus on a deep philosophical approach to life.

Any of those get your motor running?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:50 am
i tend to read books at home, out and about i'll have a newspaper or magazine, and maybe a book playing on my mp3
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Men who read: sexy or nerdy?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 01:09:44