Track lighting

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:41 pm
I have a lot of track lighting in my apartment. The tracks themselves look old (15 years - maybe over 20?). I don't really care much about most of it, I use lamps anyway. But the only light in the bathroom is a single port track light. It's not a bathroom light, it's got a metal shade - it's very dark.

My question is: how do I know one light or another will fit into this track? Are they interchangeable between brands? Do old track lighting units compare to the newer stuff? I've started to look online and I'm pretty lost - don't know where to start. But, that light has to go. Are there lights for tracks that have switches on the light fixture itself? Will I have to just lug the piece of crap to home depot and ask some rude guy there about it?

Thanks for any input!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,702 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 10:27 pm
Measure the tracks, then go to Home Depot and ask the electrician if they are interchangeable - and safe. PLease have the power off when you measure. c.i.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 06:46 am
Ah, the person who can help the most is Lightwizard. He sells this stuff for a living.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:22 pm
Of course he does!

Thanks guys.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:42 am
And I just found this thread -- I think littlek PM'd me about this but I've been so busy I don't know whether I am coming or going so refresh my memory.

If your track is HALO (there will be a sticker somewhere on the inside of the track), that's the industry standard over Lightolier, Juno and some of the other brands. If you can't find the brand, just take a fixture down and compare the configuration of the contacts at the business end. You'll likely be able to do it on a visual check or get help (there also should be a sticker inside each can).

I've been specifying mostly inline low voltage where the track is transformered remotely with 12 volts and all the small fixtures use MR16 projector lamps. The latest project is at June Lake in California -- mountain cabins which are primarilly wired with X-10 controlled low voltage (very likely a first as not many have crawled onto the low voltage band wagon). If you are going to add fixtures, check out the low voltage which fit into a 120 Volt track (the MR16 is the most efficient lamp, especially for illuminating art and you can even get them color corrected for true daylight, something even a plain Halogen is still not producing).
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 08:07 am
LittleK, I installed track lighting in my kitchen to replace a common ceiling light. I love the design and effect of these lights. Not only are they beautiful day or night, but they are especially lovely in the evening, which is unusual for track lighting. The 5 bulbs light one entire L-shaped task area of my kitchen.

My handyman installed them for me because I'm too old to be climbing ladders anymore. Anyone handy who understands electrical safety can easily install these track lights.

---BumbleBeeBoogie

http://www.homedepot.com

(click on lighting and fans; then click on track lighting)

Easylite Duotrack 5 Light Marte Kit Chrome
Model F5MA-05
$129.00 ea

Product Description

This sleek dual rail system that can run straight or shape a 90°deg turn using a connector included, gives your application a truly unique contemporary look. The clear acrylic ring accent on each head lends to a classy modern design suitable for virtually any room while the halogen bulbs create a bright white light that can be aimed in any direction to highlight key objects or provide task lighting. The hardwire transformer mounts in place of any existing light fixture and can power up the track at any point along the run. This kit comes complete with all required mounting hardware and five 20 watt 12 volt MR16 halogen bulbs.

Product Specifications
Color/Finish: Chrome

Color/Finish Category: Metal/Chrome, Silver, Pewter, Aluminum, and Nickel

Contents: 5 Marte Sty Hd, 105 watt Mag. Xfmr, 96 in. Track, 90°deg Elb Conn., Mount Hardware, Instr., Bulbs

Manufacturer: Eurofase

Maximum Wattage Per Bulb: 20

Number of Lights/Bulbs: 5

Recommended Base Type: G4

Track Length: 96 in.

Brand: Easylite

Model #: F5MA-05

UPC CODE: 773546553155

Internet ID: 161806
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 05:33 pm
That's a good little inexpensive kit system. I've used Eurofase sometimes in the past but they are more applicable to the do-it-yourself small installations.
0 Replies