Wild Turkey Disappearance Spurs Witch Hunt

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:48 am
This is a bizare story set in Lexington, MA. The town is one of the richest in the state. Too much time on their hands?

A flock of turkeys came to live in a neighborhood where they were enjoyed and gossiped about for years. Then they disappeared. Whispers turned to gossip and rumor and eventually to a police investigation (it's illegal to kill wild turkeys in MA). The investigation turned up no evidence to work with and the case was dropped. Accusers blamed one neighbor's boyfriend of shooting them all.

The following is part of a petition/letter sent to the 'accused' neighbor from the others. From this article: Turkey Tales

Quote:
``There is a persistent rumor that someone in our neighborhood recently shot a family of five wild turkeys who have roamed about the neighborhood for the past several years. . . . People in this neighborhood are shocked and appalled."

The letter went on to outline that it was a crime to hunt turkeys and to fire a gun within town limits. ``Virtually all of the neighbors know about this unlawful act and hereby wish everyone to understand that turkeys are always welcome in our neighborhood; turkey killers are not."

One hundred and three neighbors signed the letter. Among them, teachers, doctors, engineers. Though it was widely understood who was suspected, no one confronted the woman or her boyfriend.

``Of course, she would just deny it," Post said.

and this

Quote:
Then last week a neighbor, Tom Fenn, brought over an e-mail from Post asking him if he had witnessed the turkey ``assassination."

``I daresay that you have the most immediate knowledge of this horrific act," she wrote, according to a copy of the e-mail in Osborne's possession. ``I know it's uncomfortable to witness against your next door neighbor's friend -- especially since you probably didn't actually eye-witness it. However . . ."

One of the two woman who instigated the petition erased her signature after getting 130 people to sign it because, she "didn't want to get sued."

Whatever happened, this has got to be one of the stupidest acts of humantiy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,323 • Replies: 17
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:01 am
Ha! Only in Lexington....

The woman should sue Post anyway. Even without her name on the petition, she's admitted to the reporter that she instigated the whole thing.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:25 am
This doesn't surprise me! I used to date this guy from Lexington (at the time he still lived with mommy and daddy). Knowing them I certainly don't doubt this at all - especially the underhanded way that women took her name off after.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:28 pm
A wild turkey hen lived on my street in Winchester -- a town adjacent to Lexington -- and produced a brood of eight during the summer of 2005. Haven't seen a turkey since the fall of 2005.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:37 pm
I read this earlier and wondered, Why would somebody do away with a few harmless turkeys? Odd, the way the people there responded to it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 10:56 pm
I confess... I did away with all the Wild Turkey.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 02:01 pm
The turkeys were actually pretty nice company. The mom took very good care of the kids who grew up together. The last time I saw the family, there was a chill in the air and they were all perched on a neighbor's fence together. It was nice to see them and I appreciated the way the mother turkey took care of the kids.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:00 pm
So, what was the guy allegedly using; silenced 12ga? I mean, just how many turkeys can you shoot in town without the gunfire being noticed.

Fishin', what would be the injury in a potential lawsuit? Wouldn't they have to show monetary damage?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 07:34 am
roger wrote:
Fishin', what would be the injury in a potential lawsuit? Wouldn't they have to show monetary damage?

I don't believe you have to show a monetary loss to sue for defamation of character in MA. I could be wrong but I think you can sue if it negatively impacts relationships (i.e. with neighbors/friends/family) or creates a hostile living or work environment.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:31 am
Thanks for clearing up an old misunderstanding of mine.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:39 am
I haven't hunted wild turkey in years but I usually used a 12 guage with #6 shot.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 10:21 am
dyslexia wrote:
I haven't hunted wild turkey in years but I usually used a 12 guage with #6 shot.

I think DrewDad uses a shot glass.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:04 pm
Dys, wouldn't that pulverize the turkey? Or am I wrong about the size of a 12 gauge cartridge?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:36 pm
littlek wrote:
Dys, wouldn't that pulverize the turkey? Or am I wrong about the size of a 12 gauge cartridge?

same I used for geese.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:56 pm
Is that supposed to be an answer to my question?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:42 am
littlek wrote:

Nope. A 12 guage is a shotgun - aka a "scattergun". The shot (the pellets within the cartridge that actually leave the barrel of the gun) will spread out cover a surface area of about 30" at 30 yards. I've done a lot of bird hunting (mostly all ruffed grouse hunting) and never managed to get more than 2 or 3 pellets in a bird.

Most of the pellets fly clear of the target and land in the trees.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:06 pm
littlek wrote:

The size of the shot is what matters, not the size of the gun.

#6 shot is a particular size of birdshot.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:06 pm
plainoldme wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

I think DrewDad uses a shot glass.

Bingo....
0 Replies