URGENT PLEASE READ NEED ANSWER BY TONIGHT

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 08:41 pm
I'm taking a statistics course and I'm having issues with the whole classifying data. I have interval data and ratio data and I'm really confused how you can class certain things under either of these since some data contain traits from both of these. Also, in some cases with Ordinal and nominal as well.

For ex, "What is teh highest level of education" gives a list of different types of education. Is this ordinal or nominal? TO me i think it is ordinal since ordinal data are supposed to have some sort of order whether it is ranking or just an order in just which has higher value or something like that.

My msn is [email protected] Please add me needs to discuss this
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 817 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:14 pm
As I remember it...

If 4 concentric circles represent a Venn diagram for the four levels of data then "nominal" is the outermost, containing "ordinal" which contains interval which contains ratio. E.g any "interval data" is by definition also "ordinal" and "nominal". Any statistical test involving 2 different levels will be aimed at the lowest level of the two.

e.g. In testing a relationship beteween salary and IQ we can assume salary is interval but IQ is only ordinal. Therefore we simply order the salaries.....even if" A earns twice as much as B" we can only use "A earns more than B " because we cannot say "A is twice as intelligent as B".

Your different types of education will be ordinal if one type depends on achieving another. e.g. "College" depends on "high school". However if we have "vocational training" versus "academic study" we can only assume nominal. In a mixed set use the lowest level.

I hope this makes sense.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:27 pm
Well I think if A earns twice as much as B then A is twice, if not more, as intelligent as B.

The rest is bullshit.

Andy Warhol taught me that and I love him for it.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:33 pm
crayon,

Note, if an experimental subject is forced to rank "vocational" versus "academic" then you are back to ordinal.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:51 pm
I am actually humbled by how much more intelligent Richard Branson is than I am.

I have learned to live with it.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 06:23 am
Intelligence isn't everything.
Trust me, I know.
0 Replies