More Complete than Lucy

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:49 pm
Scientific American on Lucy era skeleton
They say this one is more complete than Lucy, and a bit older.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,552 • Replies: 198
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:03 pm
Fascinatin' stuff, EB . . . thanks for the link . . .
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:38 pm
My uncle Bob is a perfect example of a Neanderthal.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 04:07 pm
I put the thread here in hopes the looney toons would not see it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 04:20 pm
Looking forward to the Nature article. Would love to know more about the animal forms found along side her, too.

Amazing stuff.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 05:50 pm
It fills me with awe that these doors to the far distant past are being opened to us.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 06:03 pm
Same here.

And it makes me wonder, with current technology and burial rituals, what will they know about us 3 million years from now?

(or maybe a thousand if we don't ruin the world before that.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 07:24 pm
(bookmark)
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 07:50 pm
Australopithecus afarensis, which was bibedal, three(?) year old girl, 3.3million BP..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 04:58 am
http://static.flickr.com/80/249665098_febb0384e9_o.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:46 am
That's basically a monkey skull. Monkey skulls show a wide amount of variation and some have teeth not horribly different from ours, i.e. not all have pronounced canines.

Other than that, Lucy is basically a very flagrant case of fraud.

http://shop5.gospelcom.net/epages/AIGUS.storefront/449565c1087bc346271d45579e7906f6/Product/View/30&2D9&2D026

http://shop5.gospelcom.net/isroot/AIGUS/aig_products/30-9-026.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:49 am
I was rather wishing the ones who speak from lunacy would stay away from this thread.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:59 am
Here's the basic reality of hominids for anybody interested.

Basically, you have neanderthals, which are not horribly different in appearance from modern humans, and then you have every other sort of hominids which are.

Neanderthals were always presented as the last step prior to us in the human evolution process, but there was a big problem in the lack of any evidence of crossbreeding despite the two groups (us and them) having lived in close proximity for long periods. In order to be descended from something via evolution, at some point, you have to be able to interbreed with the something.

And then the results of DNA testing for neanderthal remains started coming in in the late 90s. That solved the mystery. Neanderthal DNA was found to be about halfway between ours and that of a chimpanzee; we could no more interbreed with neanderthals than we could with horses.

The claim of evolutionites since then has been that both we and the neanderthal are descended from some previous hominid.

That's basically idiotic. That is like claiming that dogs cannot be descended from wolves, therefore they must be descended directly from fish.

Modern man is totally unrelated to all apes and hominids. The neanderthal may be a proto-human lord of some previous creation, or one of the odd characters alluded to in the bible and midrashim here and there, but the meaningful question is not so much what the neanderthal was but what he wasn't; he was not any sort of a friend of Chuck Darwin's.

You have three rational possibilities regarding modern man and where he came from:

• Modern man was created here from scratch recently as per the Bible and other ancient literature.
  • Modern man was imported from elsewhere in the cosmos.
  • Modern man was genetically re-engineered from neanderthals or other hominids.

Modern man having evolved is not an option.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:10 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I was rather wishing the ones who speak from lunacy would stay away from this thread.

Basic reality: Your little dream world in which evo-losers can brainwash the people of the world from infancy and all doubters are silenced by social pressure and legal action is crumbling and will be gone in a few years.

Any science theory with the problems evolution has would have been abandoned 70 years ago. Evolution is not about science. Nobody defends any sort of a science theory the way evolution is defended, i.e. to the last man, at all costs, and the truth be damned. Only religions and lifestyles are defended like that.

My question to evolution true believers is this: What part of this fab lifestyle do you figure you're going to be able to take with you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:29 am
I cannot control who posts on a thread. I can, however, scroll instead of reading.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:34 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I cannot control who posts on a thread. I can, however, scroll instead of reading.

scroll without reading?....... what?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:17 pm
http://www.asu.edu/clas/iho/lucy.html

Lucy: FAQ
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:53 pm
dadpad wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

scroll without reading?....... what?

A comment which had its origins in the "bad old days" at the "knowledge site" Abuzz. Originally a part of Boston.com, it was bought by the New York Times, which then decided it was not worth any expense, so they dumped all but two or three employees. With no moderation at all, it quickly became a haunt for all sorts of trolls and flame-warriors. Many of the people there openly advised one another to ignore the trolls, and to scroll past their posts (you know, the scroll-wheel in the middle of the mouse?). So, if someone was behaving in a trollish fashion, others would post: "SCROLL, SCROLL," to warn other members that the member who was flaming others was a troll, and should be ignored.

When you see a Gunga Din post, DP, the best adivce is: scroll, scroll.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:02 pm
I had all that set but thanks anyway.

My aussie sense of humour not coming through in typewritten form.

Was there a trogungall posting on this thread? ohhhhhh i must've missed that somehow......

:wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:05 pm
dadpad wrote:

Was there a trogungall posting on this thread? ohhhhhh i must've missed that somehow......

:wink:

Naw, i was just airing a hypothetical . . . pay no attention to the man behind the curtain . . .
0 Replies