Music Preferences Linked to Personality

Booman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:27 pm
Shocked Oh no,...what was that sound?....(cr..cr..cra-a-ck) AIIEEE!!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:30 pm
Anyone here play music, as well as listening?

I like to listen to Mongolian Throat Singing (Yat-Kha Yenisei Punk is the best!) but when I play music it's usually a jazz-bop didjeridu, or some heavy metal on a 25-string harp (very fun!). Did they cover that in the survey?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:51 pm
Put a Drum kit in front of me and I can keep time. Cool
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:14 am
Booman- So you were the kid in the car pool who drove me nuts by drumming on the back seat! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:18 am
Hmm, I like Gil Scott-Heron and Mongolian Throat Singing, especially the Tuvan styles. I play guitar, piano, viola, harmonica and jaw harp, guitar being my most proficient instrument, but I am no virtuoso in any. Still, I love it. Had a fascination with the banjo for a while...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 07:47 am
I don't know what it says of my personality, but, if I had to cull my collection (begun in 1958) to just a handfull, I would end up with Jerry Lee Lewis, Harry Belafonte, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Judy Collins, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Ledbelly, Elvis and Woody Guthrie.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:11 am
Cull? What a horrible thought.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:42 am
I would never part with a single one - just fantasizing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:28 am
I like any kind of music that makes me feel like moving my body. Some days that's Vivaldi, others it is the Brubeck Brothers, still other days it is the Dixie Chicks. About the only thing that can't ever get me moving is hymns, well except for Battle Hymn of the Republic - which is good to sorta sing while walking the dogs.

I loved Lawrence Welk as a kid. As I look back on some of those programs, I realize he was fairly forward-thinking in terms of the music his band/orchestra performed. The orchestrations were, errrrrr, a bit, conservative, but he was following 'popular' music with rather a decent ear.

I want music to make me feel like this http://www.mochadj.com/imagesfrontpage/mochadj4_08.gif

- or at least let me think I'm doing this :wink:

(found it doing an image search using the key words 'too good to be true' - it's a kewwwwwl world out there)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:32 am
Ouch! My back.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:36 am
cavfancier - Tafelmusik had a wonderful performance last season that included Innu throat singers. Amazing! Some Vivaldi, some throat singing, some Chinese Pipa and a woman playing the Indian (subcontinental) precursor of the cello. An extraordinary evening of music (it was an exploration of how different cultures responded to the movement of the sun).
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:44 am
Phil Ochs, Bob Dylan, Gil-Scott Heron, Dixie Chicks, Emmylou Harris, Nancy Griffith, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Marvin Gaye, Beethoven, Mozart and on and on; music is one of the things that takes me to another place, ie up, down or out
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:37 am
I must be a mixed up guy; I love classical, jazz, rock, country, blues, and even some gospel. c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:49 am
What I really don't like is elevator music of any genre. Right now on San Antonio public radio is elevator dixie which I'm now going to TURN OFF!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 12:42 pm
Tartar, You also reminded me of telephone music while we wait and wait...... I'd like to shoot somebody. Wink
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:13 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I must be a mixed up guy; I love classical, jazz, rock, country, blues, and even some gospel. c.i.

...For someone to say they like rock,country,blues, or gospel, and then make a blanket statement that they DON'T like another of those genres, seems mixed up to me. The same for Europeon Classics, and American Classics (Jazz).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:24 pm
Booman, I'm only confirming my "mixed up" personality. At least I'm 'consistent!' LOL c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:40 pm
Ci -- and you in turn have reminded me of Christmas music. Ohmigod -- and we're worried about torture in Guantanamo... (By the way, they're using Sesame Street music 24/7 to drive the detainees mad. Seriously.)
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:47 pm
C.I.,
...If you you think I'm disagreeing with you , you're right. ..I'm saying you're NOT mixed-up. :wink: If you're mixed up, Ray Charles must be a basket case. Shocked
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:51 pm
I love his music too! Wink c.i.
0 Replies