Music Preferences Linked to Personality

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 03:21 pm
Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The music you listen to may say more about you than you think, according to new research findings that suggest that our choice in music reflects our personalities.

Do you enjoy blues, jazz, classical and folk music? You may be intelligent, tolerant and politically liberal, researchers report.

Meanwhile, country and religious music fans tend to be cheerful, outgoing, reliable and conventional, while alternative and heavy metal music lovers tend to be physically active, curious risk-takers.

As for rap/hip-hop and dance music fans? They are often outgoing, agreeable people who generally eschew conservative ideals, according to a report in the June issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology

Link to "Music Preferences Linked to Personality"

The one thing that bothered me about the study is that it was conducted with 3,500 students, who are of similar ages, mostly from late teens to middle twenties.

It would be interesting to see if the kind of music that a person likes at 20, is the same kind of music that the person likes at 50.

One of the interesting points that were made in the study, is that one of the things that young people ask other people at parties is their favorite music.

What kind of music do you like? Have you changed your preferences since your teens and early twenties?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,431 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 03:29 pm
I love classical music. Funny thing, I could not stand it until I was 26. (How can I be so sure about how old I was when I discovered the classics? There is a story behind it.)

As a younger person, I loved folk music, Greenwich Village, coffee houses, and discussing LIFE. Today, I have little interest in folk music, although I find some Worldbeat music that is very interesting.

For the lighter stuff, I enjoy soft rock and disco- stuff from the 70's and 80's. I know practically nothing of the current trends in music.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 03:51 pm
My favorite and most listened too is country music. I also like the oldies, and pretty much softer music, which is far from what I use to listen to when I was a teenager. Back in my teens I listened to hard rock such as AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, etc..., but that stuff gives me a headache now. I use to listen to that music as loud as I could get my sterio and I blew every pair of speakers I had back then, lol! My taste is music started to change in my early 20's after I had my son and I wonder if that had something to do with it.

Great question Phoenix ;-)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 03:54 pm
Every favorite song of mine, from every age, is still my favorite. The songs I loved as a child are, in my view, still excellent choices.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:00 pm
Hi Phoenix:

Diverse music tastes. Classical from an early age. Influenced by Mom. She made no attempt to influence it. When she listened I naturally liked it and listened too. Rock and roll as a teenager. Blues, jazz, country all followed. Only in the last two years have I started singing karaoke. Now the search for songs that fit in my voice range. Voice is melodic but with limited range. One of my friends has a powerful voice and I remeber the first time I heard him sing Neil Diamond's "Holly holy" I was mesmerized. I'd never heard it sung with such passion and volume. As a courtesy if you realize a singer has a favorite or signature song they sing other singers won't sing it so it's not repeated on the same evening. So my pal Jack has his Holly Holy and I have my Unchained Melody.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:03 pm
If you like all genres of music, does that make you bi-polar?
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:22 pm
No, omniverous.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:23 pm
...That's what I'm wondering. What if you just like music. In my CD rack for example, I have such diverse artists as: James Brown, Patsy Kline, Izthak Perlman, Mary J. Blige, Creedence Creedwater Revival, John Coltrane, Louie Armstrong, The Swan Silvertones, Barbra Streisand, and gangsta' rappers, Smooth Da' Hustler. and these aren't for show, are company. Depending on my mood, I listen to all genre's, even when alone. Next up. I've got to get something by my man, Mario Lanza. So what does that say about me? Am I a crazy mixed-up kid? Shocked Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:26 pm
Same here. I have music from musicals, country/western, rock 'n' roll, folk, classical, swing, jazz, calypso, pop. The only thing missing is hip hop and rap.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:27 pm
Bob...Is that something like protestant? Laughing (I crack me up)
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:34 pm
Edgar,
...I'm going out on a limb here. Are you sure you don't even have any early rap, like Gil scott-Heron, Are Lou Rawls live. Rap was around, decades before Sugar Hill Gang. Even before "The Last Poets". think about it. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:43 pm
I have music some have called precursers to rap.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:46 pm
Booman you're unique. I won't go out on a limb and say good or bad.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:51 pm
I like prog rock, metal, jazz, really heavy classical, blues, classic hard rock which is different from metal, R&B.

HATE country, bluegrass, polka, and whitebread hymns and worship music. Love black gospel.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:51 pm
Music is so much a part of my life that I don't often separate it into categories. Am a gourmand (as opposed to gourmet). There are so many more musical experiences that I enjoy than unsatisfactory ones that I'd have to tell you what I don't like, and it pretty much boils down to reggae and Tchaikovsky (except for one violin concerto) and "smooth jazz" (ie, not jazz) and faux-folk.

I'm currently into hard-core weirdo contemporary technically classical music; music from Mali; Claude Marti; salsa; Ray Brown and Gene Harris (together, separately); Kenny Barron; Kathleen Ferrier; Poulenc; Lukas Foss; Ralph Stanley; and the kamancheh. (Those are just the ones stacked on my CD player right now.) Don't buy country/western (except Nelson) but listen to it a lot and love it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:11 pm
i'm pretty much into acid polka and anything played on a zither.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:12 pm
Bob,
... Laughing I don't know if you're a politician, or extremly perceptive. I've always valued "unique", among my favorite compliments. ( "I may not be better, but I'm different." Cool )

BPB,
...Looking at the music, you love, I defy you to tell me You've listened to Patsy Cline, or the Oak Ridge Boys, and tell me you hate ALL country. (Here I am, on this limb again. Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:16 pm
Gotta love that limb. Patsy Cline's "Crazy" is one of the songs I sing in my torturing of the denizens in my little neighborhood bar.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:21 pm
Oak Ridge Boys and Patsy Cline are (or were) wonderful people, kind to their mothers and missed by all, but country music still sucks. Sorry, my opinion, I'm not stating it as fact.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:27 pm
Bi- Years ago, I heard a remark that I found very interesting. The person said that country music was the closest thing that we had to the ballads of the 40's -50's- unrequited love, jealousy and all that good stuff!
0 Replies