Bunnies in need of A2K good vibes! :(

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 03:20 pm
I was just reading where Boomer mentioned on another thread what powerful healing effects the good thoughts of the a2kers have on pets...It's worth a shot!

My silly fluffy-headed bunny, Aero, has been having seizures and we don't know what's wrong. On Sunday he had a terrible one that scared the life out of me. I don't know what I'm more scared of-- that something's wrong with his brain like a tumor, or that he's going to have to be on seizure suppresant drugs forever. (Not to mention that I don't know how we could afford either of those.)

My cranky old gentleman bun, Biggs, has a runny eye that has a strange spot in the sclera that may or may not be something serious. I'm so worried that it might be cancer, but there's no way of knowing, unless the runniness clears up with anitbiotics and the spot doesn't grow. The vet sent out for blood work for both of them today and we'll have results tomorrow hopefully, although it may not tell us what's going on with either of them.

The best outcome would be that they both have some kind of infection that we can clear up with antibiotics. I just pray that my poor guys don't have anything scary going on, I can't take it if both of them are in trouble-- well, I can't take it if either of them is in trouble, actually!

I've had Biggs since he was just a baby and I was eighteen, and now he's what the vet insists on calling geriatric. Sad He's been with me longer than any of my other pets-- he's lived in every house I've ever lived in. <sniffle> I can't bear the thought of watching him go downhill. I know bunnies aren't the kind of pets that most people rank up there with cats and dogs, but my guys are house-bunnies that live with us just like the cats do. They have the run of the place; we know their personalities and their goofy quirks the way people know their cat or dog...so it's really tough to think about them being sick.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 03:25 pm
oooooo....I'll send some vibes Right Now.....

bunbunbunbun......
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 03:30 pm
Here's a picture of the gang on an outdoor adventure last summer:

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/380/1000742ze8.jpg

(left to right: Sticky [chief troublemaker], Mo [greedyguts], Biggs [brains of the outfit], Aero [good-looking, not so much upstairs])
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 03:32 pm
Thank you Chai!! (Get Roland and Jeezer in on it too)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 04:08 pm
What a fabulous gang!

Lots of good healing vibes...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 04:14 pm
sozobe wrote:
What a fabulous gang!

Lots of good healing vibes...

What she said.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 04:45 pm
Get well cookies for your bunnies

http://www.happyscrappy.com/blog/archives/images/bunny-cookie.jpg
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 04:47 pm
Thank you, goils! They are a fabulous gang, we don't want to lose any members!

Thanks for the laugh, Tico... Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 04:55 pm
As much as I'm afraid of bunnies ... I'm sending the strongest possible good-health vibes toward your thumpers ...

vibe
vibe
vibe
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 04:57 pm
ehBeth wrote:
As much as I'm afraid of bunnies ... I'm sending the strongest possible good-health vibes toward your thumpers ...

vibe
vibe
vibe

Pardon me?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 06:02 pm
I love the picture, Cypher. I'm adding my good wishes to the pack!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 06:48 pm
The vet... I wonder if you're going to my old place, Sunny Brae, very good place..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 07:04 pm
Do you know this site Cyphercat?:

MediRabbit

I've found them helpful in diagnosing rabbit illnesses. There are also numerous rabbit chat sites, although many of them are 4H in nature and you can end up having 9 year olds giving you veterinary advice - not that there's anything wrong with that.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:57 am
Ohhhhh your gang is so sweet! Adding to the collective positive energy.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 04:52 pm
Thanks to all for sending the boys good thoughts! Greenwitch, that's a good site, it gave me a bit more info about the next thing the vet is going to test for.

The blood tests didn't show anything, which is sort of a good news/bad news thing. For Biggs, it's good that they didn't find any problems developing with his kidneys or liver-- he's an older guy, as I said, so there can start being issues like that. But finding nothing also means there's no sign that an infection is causing his runny eyes, so that means it could be irritation from the weird spot in the white of his eye-- which could mean cancer, which I hate to even say... Crying or Very sad

With Aero, it's nothing but bad news that they didn't find anything...<sigh> this means taking him back to have more blood drawn, another test, more stress for all, and no explanation of the seizures as yet. Next they'll test for a parasite that could be in his bloodtream and affecting his brain. If that's what it is, there's not even a very effective treatment available. So, back we go tomorrow, and then no word until early next week on test results.

Blah. Sad This is just so depressing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 05:28 pm
Oh, my.
Crossing fingers..
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 04:10 pm
Well, I've been holding off on updating because everything has been so inconclusive. Aero's second bloodtest showed that he's been exposed at some point to a protozoan parasite that can cause seizures, so the vet recommended an experimental treatment for both bunnies in case they've both been exposed. But the treatment can cause toxicity, and it hasn't been used for long, so no one knows much about it, and I'm reticent to use something so iffy-- it's not even wonderfully effective. Confused

He hasn't had any more seizures for more than two weeks, so hopefully they weren't caused by the protozoa thingummies, and perhaps the antibioitcs cleared up whatever was causing the seizures. It's all very uncertain. I just keep watching him and wondering if he's really acting normal-- he's always been very twitchy and spazzy anyway! "Normal" for him is kind of goofy, so it's hard to judge... *sigh*

I'm just hoping both my two silly fluffheads will be around for a long time yet.
0 Replies