I’ve been scammed and I want to warn you!

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:29 am
Last month I had a charge for $10 from reservations rewards. I always review my credit card statements and I did not remember anything to do with this company. There was a 1-800 number next to the name so I decided to call it. When I did I got a recording as is typically - they had a choice to cancel membership, however, I didn't even know if I was a member as I never heard of them before so I decided to talk with a customer service rep. I asked what sort of company they were, etc. Some sort of travel discount - well I knew I never signed up for this so I told them so. They were nice enough and said they would cancel my membership and reverse my fee.

Next month another $10 charge from them, so I call again. They said because of timing I was charged again, and they would reverse in 3-5 business days. I decided what the heck, I'll look them up and I find an article describing a lawsuit where they are automatically signing people up when they purchase something on the internet with a reputable website - called "coupon click fraud" scam. The article is here if you are interesting in reading it, but these are major website companies so you are warned. http://www.toptechnews.com/news/Webloyalty-Accused-of-Online-Fraud/story.xhtml?story_id=030000XRDY80

I believe I was a victim via FTD.com as I had a purchase with them prior to these charges and they were listed.

I also saw another website where some one else was a victim (victim via expedia.com) including the BBB link for CT (state where they operate) and a whole slew of complaints.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,178 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 11:30 am
This has been going on for a while....I think the oldest I have found is 2004, but here is a 2005 article where this fraudulent company claims they are not changing their tactics.
http://www.consumerwebwatch.org/dynamic/ecommerce-investigation-webloyalty.cfm

The ironic thing about this company is that they offer Credit Card Fraud Protection. Wonder if I can use this protection against their own company.
http://home.reservationrewards.com/rrtoscreditcard.asp
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 11:54 am
Call your credit card company and dispute it right away. I had this happen to me a long time ago by my own credit card company where they signed me up for some stupid insurance saying I had filled out one of those things on the payment envelope, which I never did and said so. I think they bank on people not looking at their statements.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 12:36 pm
I did report it to the credit card company. They are investigating this as fraud. Fortunately for me, I do check every charge and if any charges do not ring a bell - I look into it. Frequently it is simply the description isn't clear, but in this case it was something I never requested.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:51 pm
Same happened to me with a company called home rewards (or something).
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 04:25 am
Linkat, same thing happened to me when I was purchasing from a pet supply company I had dealt with a few times. An offer came up saying I could save on my next purchase and it all seemed fine. I didn't realize it was a separate company and that the pet company was allowing the scam company access to my credit card number. When I discovered I had this $9.95 charge from something called Reservations Reward I was shocked. I cancelled Res. R. and I emailed the pet supply company and told them I would no longer purchase from them because of this sneaky tactic. Apparently the host company gets a kick back from anyone who signs up.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:12 am
I am neurotic and look at my bank account twice a day.

Mostly because I do alot of online bill-pay, and purchase many things over the internet. Saves me gas, and travel time.

I too got hit with a company......... ( I have since forgotten the name) charge that was supposedly for Fraud Protection.

They came through a small local web site.

The downside is that, once I saw the charge, I specifically remember seeing the sign up opportunity, and do NOT remember signing up. Nor do I remember refusing the offer appropriately.
I think, all I did was click out of the offer, and did not take the time to actually 'say no'.

Frustrating little bottom feeders those companies are.
They figure, 5, 10 dollars noone will bother with.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 10:08 am
Green Witch - mine was also reservation rewards on my credit card.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 11:23 pm
Earlier this year I just returned from a trip and was checking my mail when I saw a bank statement on an account I had only opened up for Paypal. Not only had the bank given all my money away (it did not say to who), but charged me a one time fee and a daily fee. To top it off, the bank gave them a whole lot more than was even in the account. I called the bank and asked them to explain and tell me who they gave my money to and money that didn't even exist away. They told me the name of the company and then I asked for the bank to send me the paperwork for fraud. I looked the company up and called them. I told them to give it back and they said they would re-wire it back into the account. I laughed and said you can't because I had the account frozen. I told them they had 7 days to send me a check or else I was pursuing the fraud charge. After 5 days and no check, I called that company again. I told them one last time what their alternative was. They said why should we. I answered with a smile - because the bank is bigger than you, has a whole lot more money than you and wants to get you real bad. I recieved the check overnight and turned it in with all the fraud paperwork filled out to the bank. It took 4 months to clear up. I never activated the account, had the card in my possession and all the checks too. So, I did nothing wrong and it still happened to me.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 12:42 am
I am pretty wary of buying things online but I have also made a couple of purchases through FTD! Littlek - is the company in India or someplace?
0 Replies