Losing a customer over $21

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:36 am
Is $21 worth losing a customer? That is the question I posed to my credit card company today.

Here is the story - last month I canceled my credit card to consolidate credit cards between my husband and me. We are still using this same credit card company, but opened a new account for various reasons. On my supposedly last bill, there was an incorrect charge for $10 - some swindling type company managed to get my account and sign me up for some monthly service that I never agreed to. When I called them (funny thing is they have a line specifically for canceling memberships), they agreed to cancel and reverse the charges within the next 3-5 business days. As my bill wasn't due for several weeks, I paid the entire amount, less the $10.

Well wouldn't ya know, I get another bill - no reversal and another $10 charge - so now I also have a $1 finance charge. I call and berate the person on the phone and they agree again to reverse the charges - they had already at this point canceled my membership. So now because, I don't want another bill from my credit card company - I call them.

Bascially I said, I don't care if I have to pay the $1 fee, but I don't want another $1 charge next month because of all this lingering crap that should have been reversed. They said because of the "system" they can't reverse my $1 (which I don't care about any way), and they can't do anything about not charging me another finance charge. So I said, since the company is reversing the payment, I'll just wait and pay whatever the balance is (I'm trying to avoid sending out multiple checks for $1). They said well then you will be charged a $50 late fee. What the F*? - for $20 that is being reversed. There conclusion - for me to pay the total $21 and (I could still be charged an additional $1 for finance charges next month). Of course later they would reimburse me the $20 credit. This is all a conversation with a "supervisor".

So I posed the question - and there was nothing they could do about it. All I want to is clear this all up now so I don't get another bill - bottom line - no credit - no extra charges, etc. They can't do it because of the "system." So they lost a customer over $21.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 900 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:48 am
It's an example of a pervasive problem of this era, and you're right to be angry about it. The result of our advances in technology seems to be that customers are treated worse than ever - in fact with contempt. Most people probably have stories like this, but things have reached the point where this type of apathetic non-service is considered normal. Your call is very important to us.....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:15 am
Call your credit card company back and tell them you want to dispute the charges (you'll have to send them something in writing disputing the charges as well).

Until the dispute is resolved (which could take a few months) you aren't obligated to pay the bill and they can't charge you late fees on it. I don't think they can charge you interest either but I'm not positive on that.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:32 am
Thank you fishin - I actually just did this as I found out some information about this company that fraudently charged my credit card. I found out there is a lawsuit out there because of this and that there is a slew of complaints with the BBB.

At least the fraud department was much nicer. They told me not to pay a dime - I was not obligated to pay anything including the $1 service fee. The are now investigating this and it is filed as fraud.
0 Replies