How do you back up your phone numbers from a cell phone?

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:25 pm
I don't know where the hell the documentation is that came with my cell phone, and the piece of **** works about five minutes every two days or so lately, so I need to back up my numbers before it totally craps out on me.

Anyone have a clue? Or a website I could go to? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,289 • Replies: 20
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:30 pm
Well? I need info, people!!! Oh, you want to play rough, huh?

How about this then. If I don't get some kind of response by tomorrow at noon, I'm killing my cat. Yeah, that's right, I said that!!! Let it be on YOUR head!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:38 pm
If I tell ya, does that mean you won't whack the cat? I don't wanna ruin a good time or upset any plans, ya know. I mean, no problem at all for me to stop by here tomorrow evening, give ya a chance to get stuff wrapped up.

Seriously, though, depending on your phone, its prolly possible to export its stored numbers to a folder on a 'puter. Likely gonna need a data cable for you specific phone (unless your phone & 'puter both support IR or Bluetooth) and proprietary software. The necessary info and software download (usually free) should be available at the manufacturor's website for your phone - your service provider's website might have the info also.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:39 pm
What kind of phone kicky?

You will need a cable and software. Without knowing the type of phone I can't help find what you need.

These articles might be a place to start.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,116282-page,1/article.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125519-c,cellphones/article.html
parados

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:43 pm
try googling your phone model and "sync"
It should give you several options of cables and software. Most seem to run in the $50 range.

It's not a bad thing. I did it for my phone and can edit on the computer and sync back to the phone.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:48 pm
It's a Nokia. I'll look at the stuff you guys suggested. I thank you both, and my cat REALLY thanks you both. Furry little bastard...

I'm actually surprised this question hasn't come up before. Don't people ever back up their cell phone numbers? Isn't this something that might be worth doing for every cell phone user? Maybe it's just so easy that nobody but a first-time cell phone guy like myself wouldn't know how to do it. I'll look into it. Thanks.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:51 pm
Hell, most people don't even back up their computers. Razz
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:00 pm
I have two options - I can use a sync cable and back up to my PC/Laptop or I can use Nextel's WWW site and import and manage my cell's phone book there. See what your cell service provider has as options.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:02 pm
Geez, I've never thought of backing up my cell numbers before!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 05:07 pm
Yeah, so what happens if you drop your cell phone in a mud puddle one day? Or you lose it? Or...it seems there are so many things that can happen with cell phones...why does nobody seem concerned about backing up the numbers, not to mention the notes, e-mails, and all the other crap people put on their cell phones?

Somehow I got mine to work for the whole day today, and I just spent the last hour looking through my contacts and writing all of the ones I would really be pissed if I lost on a piece of paper. I ain't paying fifty bucks for some stupid cable...

Ah, now I feel better.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 05:24 pm
Fifty bucks is cheap compared to the doctor's bill for having him looking at your thumbs after you have to retype 300 phone numbers in your new phone.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 05:35 pm
True, that will be a pain. Luckily I only have about twenty or so numbers that are vital. The rest of them are numbers that I've memorized and/or have already written down somewhere.

The vital numbers are all the best employment agencies in NYC for graphic production and design work. That **** would be tough to replace. It took me years to cobble together that list of top-notch job-finders, head-hunters, and just good people to know.

I guess putting all the new numbers in will take some time though. I'll just do it slowly over time. My main concern was not losing the important stuff. Whew!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 07:30 pm
Buy your cable on E-Bay. I paid about $3 for mine. The local Nextel place want $29.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 02:51 am
Kicky, if you have stored yr numbers on the SIM card - then if yr phone dies on you you can just replace the phone and use yr old SIM card - the numbers will still be there. There are also SIM card backup devices available in the market - I remember seeing it for abt £15

If the numbers are stored on yr phone, then it is best to synch with yr computer. Not sure what yr Nokia model is - but if it has bluetooth or infrared, and so does yr comp, you should be able to establish a connection with yr computer if it has the same facility
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:50 am
Thanks guys. Have you all backed up your phone info then? I wonder how many people actually do this.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:44 am
kickycan wrote:
Thanks guys. Have you all backed up your phone info then? I wonder how many people actually do this.

I have - but then I have a blackberry and it synchronizes with my server everytime I make an amendment to the phone book.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:45 am
Ah, I see. You use it for business though, am I right? I bet most people don't even think about backing up the cell phone info on their personal phones.
0 Replies

frog8402

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 08:27 pm
@parados,
Im not kicky, but I have the same question. I have a LG mod. # VX8350. Can you please help Me? Thanks
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 08:33 pm
@frog8402,
You're not kicky, but you have a good screen name.

(I don't know the answer)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 08:54 pm
@frog8402,
frog8402 wrote:

Im not kicky, but I have the same question. I have a LG mod. # VX8350. Can you please help Me? Thanks

I see quite a few refrences to a program called Bitpim that allows you to transfer files between phone and computer using either bluetooth or Usb data cable. I also sw a reference that stated drag and drop was possible. I'd suggest you see if you can use windows explorer to find the files on your fone and drag them over to a file your computer. then reverse the proceedure for your new phone.
This artical may be worth reading in full.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/125519/dialed_in_back_up_your_cell_phones_address_book.html

Never having done this myself I dont reallly know, I'm just going on what I read.
0 Replies