Look here brother, who you jivin' with that garden debris?

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:48 pm
With apologies to Frank Zappa, I'm wondering what/how to do things with my garden leftovers.

I have giant sunflowers that I have hacked the heads off of and hung to dry. I understand these make excellent bird food.

I also have several stunted ears of corn. I understand these make excellent squirrel feeders.

I'm not exactly sure how I go about making/doing these things though. My internet searches lead me to sites where I can buy such things but not tips and tricks on how to use my own garden debris for such things.

Any advice?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 942 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:10 pm
Quote:
So how do you use our Sunfollower Sunflowers as a Back To Nature Bird Feeder? It's simple...you can hang the stem on the back of the head over the top or through the mesh of your backyard fence, or make a loop in the end of a wire and place the stem through it.

is it really that easy? apparently so they say so here

Then there's the Squirrel Cafe

more from familyfun

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11512

milk carton bird house
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:59 am
Cool, eBeth! Thanks!

I see that I have handeled my sunflowers correctly for making feeders. Well, except for "barn drying". It is still pretty warm and dry here though so I'm thinking they will be okay.

Now I'm off to the squirrel sites......
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:25 am
Beware. Sunflower hulls are toxic to most other vegetable species. Either be prepared to clean up hulls on a regular basis or position your seed heads where the fallout won't be lethal to anything you love.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:37 am
Oh my!

That's good to know. Thanks, Noddy!

I will make sure that I hang the flowers far away from my vegetable garden area.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 11:52 am
If you can hang your sunflower heads out of the reach of squirrels, then the birds will have a chance.

Squirrels are pigs when it comes to sunflower seed.
0 Replies