bugbear virus

Wilso

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 12:57 am
BHPSteel - VIRUS ALERT W32/ Bugbear .b@MM - BHPSteel

A new variation of the W32/ Bugbear virus is spreading on the Internet. This virus spreads via email and network shares. Detection has been deployed to the BHP Billiton Internet mail gateways. An emergency virus signature is currently being deployed to detect the virus.

The virus searchs infected machines for email addresses and will send copies of itself to these addresses. It spoofs the sender address and therefore does not come from the sender in the email. Attachments will have random names, but will have extensions EXE, PIF or SCR. Please do not use any attachment in an email that you do not expect.

NOTE: The original version of this virus caused printers to print garbage. This may not happen this time as it was a fault in the original W32/Bugbear.a@MM virus.

Details of virus available at URL

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100358.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:00 am
The first thing that I do when I turn on my computer is check my ISP E Mail. Guess What! I got one. My Norton quarrantined it, and then I deleted it.

I should have noticed that something was happening. When the computer started, I saw the little icon on the bottom that shows that Norton is adding a new virus definition. I have been getting A LOT of new virus definitions lately. Next time I will wait to see if the little icon comes on
BEFORE I go to my E Mail. I think that it's ok though!

Really strange. Talk about precognition. Months and months ago, I was getting Klez virii, almost on a daily basis. Just yesterday, I was musing that I had not gotten a virus in a long time!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:44 am
I never open anything that says 'please look at this attachment' or something to that effect, even if it looks like it is from a legitimate source.
0 Replies