IS EUROPEA PASSPORT DIFFRENT FROM BIRITISH PASSPORT?

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:45 pm
I am a biritish citizen and have biritish passport,but i dont know if European passport is different from Biritish passport or nat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,384 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:59 pm
It is. The main difference is that only UK passports are valid (and new ones are "EU-paasports").

You'll find help at the UK Passport Service website
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:02 pm
There is no such thing as a "European Passport". The passports are issued by the individual countries, UK, Ireland, France, etc, but all the EU countries passports look similar with a red cover.

Citizens of EU countries have a passport with a uniform design. This facilitates free movement, enhances security features but also serves to "strengthen the feeling among nationals of the Member States that they belong to the same Community", as the EU resolution on passports puts it.

This does not mean that there is one single EU passport or that citizens of EU countries have one single EU citizenship. Each passport continues to reflect the nationality and citizenship of each respective country. A UK passport will continue to reflect UK citizenship in the same way as an Italian passport still reflects Italian citizenship.

However, in addition to national citizenship, the EU passport also gives rights and obligations that arise out of an added citizenship; EU citizenship.

EU citizenship exists over and above national citizenship. It does not replace it.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:05 pm
Don't quite understand what you are saying, Walter. Do you mean to imply there is a "European passport"? I know there is a common appearance for passports issued by EU countries, including the UK. There is no "European passport" which looks different from a British one, as you seem to imply.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:06 pm
A British Passport is recognised as one of the EU Passports, and allows freedom of passage within the EU.

Passports from other EU countries enjoy those same rights.

A British passport will also allow you to travel freely to other British territories around the world, which nowadays, after the break up of the empire, consists of the Isle of Wight (just off our South coast)...and Rockall, a small rocky outcrop off the coast of Scotland, that occasionally appears at low tide.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:09 pm
I never used the term "European passport" (but made a typo, though).

As well as there is no European passport (but EU passport), there's no British passport (but UK passport).

Commonly, however, people talk about British and/or European passports.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:30 pm
Oh....and Sark, you can go to Sark.

Nearly forgot.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:33 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Oh....and Sark, you can go to Sark.

Nearly forgot.

Seigneur forbid!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:39 pm
Last time I was in Sark the island was governed by "La Dame"...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:44 pm
Last time I was in Sark, I was waiting for King George IV to come out of the only bathroom on the Island.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:47 pm
Francis wrote:
Last time I was in Sark the island was governed by "La Dame"...

J.M. Beaumont Esq., OBE, is her representative as Seigneur since about 30 years.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:51 pm
I was there in the Spring 1976...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:55 pm
I bet their population doubled in 1977!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:57 pm
Twisted Evil