Vet is not honest

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:53 pm
Hi,

My vet has (in the past) had a groomer and while I have not used these services (weiners & yellow lab) my brother has with his dog. So have many others. About a year ago, groomer was gone.

Today while shopping at a pet store, I bumped into this groomer.

He told me that he quit because the vet was giving the dogs a transquiler and shaving them, collecting the fee & returning them to their owners as groomed!

This is so wrong! What would you do in this situation?

I do not think the groomer reported him!

Very upset & very thankful for any advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,780 • Replies: 24
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:15 pm
I dont know if you personaly can do anything if you have not used his grooming services.

But, I would use craigslist.

Have your friend and if you can, the former groomer, write out a story about the Vet and post it .

Send a copy of the link to the Vet. Just to let him know that people are aware of his practices now, and that he is no longer trusted by you, and hopefully by anyone else.

On the flip side,

Are you sure that the dogs who were 'shaved' were not sent there to BE shaved? Maybe that was his way of grooming, and had discussed this with the owners of the dogs? Since the groomer may not have known, all he/she saw was a dog getting a light shave, and being returned to the owner.. .. ?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 04:50 am
Re: Vet is not honest
yellowlab wrote:
Hi,

My vet has (in the past) had a groomer and while I have not used these services (weiners & yellow lab) my brother has with his dog. So have many others. About a year ago, groomer was gone.

Today while shopping at a pet store, I bumped into this groomer.

He told me that he quit because the vet was giving the dogs a transquiler and shaving them, collecting the fee & returning them to their owners as groomed!

This is so wrong! What would you do in this situation?

I do not think the groomer reported him!

Very upset & very thankful for any advice.

I guess I'm not understanding you...what's the difference between shaving the dog and grooming it?

Don't they use clippers on the dog, which is essentially shaving?

If the purpose of sending a dog to the groomers is to get a dog with shorter hair, then it seems shaving accomplishes the purpose.

If part of the grooming includes giving the dog a bath, is the vet not doing this? If I came and picked up my dog, I could certainly tell by smell if he had been bathed.

Or, is your problem more with tranquilizing the dog?

When people take their dogs to the groomer, do they give permission to the groomer to "take the edge off" a nervous, potentially biting dog if necessary? I really don't know.

Really, I'm ignorant about all this. Can you explain the problem?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 04:53 am
shewolfnm wrote:

Have your friend and if you can, the former groomer, write out a story about the Vet and post it .

Send a copy of the link to the Vet. Just to let him know that people are aware of his practices now, and that he is no longer trusted by you, and hopefully by anyone else.

Oh wow.....no way would I do that unless I had some proof, not just heresay.

The vet could sue you for libel.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 05:46 am
First of all you have no way of knowing if the groomer was telling you the truth. He might have had a falling out with the vet, and was just attempting to give the vet a black eye.

Even if what the groomer said was true, as far as you are concerned, it is hearsay.
0 Replies

yellowlab

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 08:48 am
Thanks all!

I stopped by this morning at the store where the groomer works. I gave him a phone number for the State agency that regulates vets. I was very polite but I told him that if what he said was true, he needed to report this.

I will let you know what happens..........
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 08:52 am
Yellowlab- Good move. The onus is on the groomer, not you, if he believes that the vet is doing something illegal or unethical.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:15 am
yellowlab wrote:
Thanks all!

I stopped by this morning at the store where the groomer works. I gave him a phone number for the State agency that regulates vets. I was very polite but I told him that if what he said was true, he needed to report this.

I will let you know what happens..........

Just curious....why did you feel you needed to give the groomer the phone number?

If he's a groomer, he would have known that information already. He certainly doesn't need to be told what to do as far as professional behavior in his trade. I'd think there would already be scads of policies and procedures in place that he has access to.

I'm just not seeing where this is anything you even needed to be involved in.

Also, re my first questions...what's the difference between shaving off some of a dogs hair, and "grooming" it?

What exactly do you think this vet was supposedly doing that was wrong?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:28 am
What grooming entails depends upon the breed of dog and the season of the year. The dog which i use in my avatar pictures has a coat of long hair, and grows an undercoat in the winter. In the spring or early summer, grooming involves combing out the undercoat (which helps the dog keep cool), and trimming the existing coat, and often using thinning shears--in that respect, for a long-haired dog, it is little different than a person's hair cut. Additionally, groomers trim the dogs "nails" (their claws), and grooming also usually involves a bath, and may involve treatments to prevent fleas and ticks. Grooming sessions can cost from $50 to $100. Just knocking the dog out and shaving them does sound very much like a rip-off.

I think it is silly to assume that someone who does dog grooming would automatically know all about the State agency which regulates veterinaries.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:32 am
I am still confused as to why the vet had the groomer (who supposedly does the grooming) and the vet shaves the dogs. Was the vet helping the groomer? Was the groomer a front for this activity? Was the vet doing anything else that was untoward? More questions than answers. Shocked
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:36 am
I think the offense is the tranquilizer, not the shaving.
Our dog needs grooming every 6 weeks (cut, bath), but I have a mobile
groomer who comes to the house, so I can monitor what they're doing.
I never would have my dog tranquilized for such a trivial reason as
grooming.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:02 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I dont know if you personaly can do anything if you have not used his grooming services.

On the flip side,

Are you sure that the dogs who were 'shaved' were not sent there to BE shaved? Maybe that was his way of grooming, and had discussed this with the owners of the dogs? Since the groomer may not have known, all he/she saw was a dog getting a light shave, and being returned to the owner.. .. ?

Many posts on craigslist have criticizeds vets and have gotten no where. What has the vet done that is wrong?

Many groomers will sedate animals just to make them easier to handle. As far as shaving the animals, don't most dogs get a shave prior to a bath.

I'm a bit confused about the problems here.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:05 am
CalamityJane wrote:
I think the offense is the tranquilizer, not the shaving.
Our dog needs grooming every 6 weeks (cut, bath), but I have a mobile
groomer who comes to the house, so I can monitor what they're doing.
I never would have my dog tranquilized for such a trivial reason as
grooming.

My groomer doesn't sedate the dogs, but she was once bitten on the nose by an angry dog.

My dog had to be muzzled on occasion so the groomer could work around his eyes. I told her it was OK, as I'd rather have the dog muzzled than have it attack the groomer and then be sued.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:07 am
Quote:
Send a copy of the link to the Vet

You better reread the policies of Craigslist, before you do this, as you could be sued for defamation.
It's been done.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:05 am
You know, there's just so many pieces missing to this story.

Set…I don't think it's silly to be a dog groomer and have knowledge of the State Board of Veterinarians for your state. Anyone could go on their website and get all kinds of info. At the very least they could see that the phone # is there and take the initiative to make a phone call if they felt something was wrong.

Well….looky here, one google, one Texas Board of Vet Examiners Website…complete with a complaint form….

Tx State Board of Vet Examiners

My gut tells me tells me this groomer no longer works there for some other reason. First off, I'd think vets are busy and don't have time to shave animals. Also, like I said before, if he was just drugging and shaving the pooches, you'd think someone coming to pick up the animal would at some point noticed something amiss.

How does this groomer know all this? Did he watch the vet engage in a drug and shave?

If yellow lab is so concerned, he/she should go directly to the vet and ask how they handle grooming dogs, rather than going through someone who is even less than a casual acquaintance who may very well have gotten fired back then.

Also, I really wouldn't trust gossip heard on a place like craigslist. Any crazy person could go in there and say anything they want.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:10 am
Could be an inability to recognize hyperbole here, too. Maybe groomer says, "He tranquilizes the dog and shaves them," while the groomer means, "The vet administers acepromazine as a shortcut to managing the animal's behavior and then administers what I would consider to be a grossly substandard grooming."

I certainly wouldn't attack somebody's reputation on the basis of one unsubstantiated claim, especially when that claim comes from someone who may have had a business conflict with him.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:51 am
patiodog wrote:
Could be an inability to recognize hyperbole here, too. Maybe groomer says, "He tranquilizes the dog and shaves them," while the groomer means, "The vet administers acepromazine as a shortcut to managing the animal's behavior and then administers what I would consider to be a grossly substandard grooming."

I certainly wouldn't attack somebody's reputation on the basis of one unsubstantiated claim, especially when that claim comes from someone who may have had a business conflict with him.

The voice of reason speaks.

Thanks Patiodog.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:18 pm
I agree, Chai, that for people with a familiarity with the use of the internet, something which it cannot be assumed is descriptive of everyone, that it is easy to find such things online. However, you stated that you thought that someone who is a groomer should be familiar with such things. Although many vet offices do have groomers, a great many groomers work in pet supply stores, or independently. I simply objected to what i consider to have been a thougtless criticism--that one would expect a pet groomer to know about the regulation of vets.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:38 pm
Oh Lord, now you want me to start paying attention to what I'm saying?

get real.
0 Replies

yellowlab

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 06:39 pm
I dropped by the store again today, with buddies. PETA. The groomer is going to file, so I am watching this web site:
http://www.tbvme.state.tx.us/Complaints.htm

Phoenix, & all again thank you! Again to re:cap: Vet employs a groomer. My guess is up to 50$ a grooming, ( I dunno, I have weiners & a lab) Vet drugs the dog, shaves it & collects the fee.

The point is it un ethical! Period.

Thanks all (Phoenix)...It is going to be ok....NOW what the hell do I do about my shedding yellow dog?????????????? Rolling Eyes

I am very appreciative to ya'll.
0 Replies