selecting low maintenance perennials for Conn. with am sun

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 10:45 am
Hi,
I am looking for suggestions for perennials for a long informal bed (75'x7') near a Connecticut farmhouse. The bed receives morning sun. The colors are not particularly important. I would like to provide something that will provide an interesting view throughout the seasonÂ…without much maintenance. Can you suggest some reliable varieties of plants that I could plan around for this site with morning sun(zone 5)? I think I will be able to compose an informal design, taking into account height, color and season of bloom if I have the varieties to work with?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 614 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:05 pm
Check out this list:
Perennials part sun

You also might want to get William Cullina's book on Wildflowers (published by the New England Wildflower Society), in the back is an excellent series of lists that breakdown the plants by their environment and light requirements. You can get it used on Amazon.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:07 pm
Has anyone mentioned the versatile hosta?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:12 pm
Bluestone perennials has a nice 'starter garden' that will fit your area nicely. They will all work with partial sun and it's an inexpensive way to plant many varieties in a small space for all season interest.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:17 pm
I've spent the better part of the morning trying to identify a bug on one of my plants....

http://www.evergreen.edu/ants/ANTPLANTS/WHEELERXMULLER/WMWheeler.original.jpg

Still haven't figured it out.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:27 pm
Actually, and this may surprise Green Witch, I try for shape and texture in my gardens, rather than going for the riotous colors most people seem to like. I could easily go with a minimum of flowers. I prefer contrasting colors with a great deal of overlapping.

Something like this might be found somewhere on my property...

http://www.gardenweek.org/journal/091499/Images-3/hbig.jpg

That's what I would suggest, John.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:51 pm
Nothing would surprise me about you Gus- and I can tell you are a well textured, multi-layered kind of guy.

(Can't play now, it's supper time out on the patio)
0 Replies